Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

BJ to Tanggu 10/7 - tickets for train

Old Sep 18, 10, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

We are to take a cruise from the pier near Tanggu. Our arrival date is 10/4 to BJ. We are independent travelers, 3 seniors.

Would it be OK to wait until we arrive to buy our train tickets?

I am now thinking about the October holiday which we are embracing. This is not our first trip to BJ but in the past we have been a part of a tour. That pace is hectic and we don't need to re-visit the star attractions.

Our hotel is near WFJ and a metro station is closeby.

Another thought I have would be to contact the hotel direct re ticket purchasing. Concierge?

Advice, please.
Old Sep 18, 10, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ake-train.html
Old Sep 18, 10, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I have read that particular thread. --Upon reviewing our air schedule, we will be in BJ on Tuesday 10/5. I definitely will be trying to take the metro to BJ South Traindepot to time the transit and "hassle" factor. -- I read thread about cabs in BJ, too.

I will be looking at the train schedule info, again.
Old Sep 18, 10, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by 8dimsum View Post
Yes, I have read that particular thread. --Upon reviewing our air schedule, we will be in BJ on Tuesday 10/5. I definitely will be trying to take the metro to BJ South Traindepot to time the transit and "hassle" factor. -- I read thread about cabs in BJ, too.

I will be looking at the train schedule info, again.
I fear that I might have caused a bit too much alarm with my report in the taxi thread. Apart from Friday's meltdown, I have been able to get taxis without too much trouble (it just requires a bit more persistence than I'm accustomed to, and there are no guarantees).

From Wangfujing, you have the subway option as a fall back. In fact, you could walk to Dongdan (east end of Oriental Plaza) and avoid the transfer. Grand Hyatt to Dongdan takes less than 10 minutes and is 90% indoors.

For train tickets, it's your call whether to arrange them ahead of time or use the machines at the station. For straight-up Tianjin, I would certainly recommend the latter because there are so many trains. Tanggu is a tougher decision because your options are fewer.
Old Sep 19, 10, 7:45 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
10/7 is going to be a busy day. I'd be tempted to have your concierge get the tickets, as long as the fee for doing so isn't ridiculous. Otherwise, what you should do is have one person in the party go to the station to get the tickets when you first arrive in Beijing. These can be obtained at automated machines. It's not a disaster if you can't get a train terminating in Tanggu. you can get a train to Tianjin and taxi from there--just make sure you build in an extra hour+ cushion to allow for a final taxi leg.
Old Sep 19, 10, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

reconfirmed the flight to BJ--will be arriving 10/4 Monday. Hotel still able to add on to the reservation (of course, the rate has gone up.)

I checked about advance purchase of train tickets " eleven days prior .." however, when I tried the [link] the response was similar to [ error.]

Thank you all for the input.
Old Sep 20, 10, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

reconfirmed the flight to BJ--will be arriving 10/4 Monday. Hotel still able to add on to the reservation (of course, the rate has gone up.)

I checked about advance purchase of train tickets " eleven days prior .." however, when I tried the [link] the response was similar to [ error.]

Thank you all for the input.
That's too far out. The day before will be more than sufficient. And, like jiejie pointed out, you will definitely be able to get to Tianjin in the highly unlikely event you get shut out of the Tanggu trains.
Old Sep 20, 10, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Decided upon going to the train station soon after arrival in BJ for tickets.

Still will plan for extra time...someone elsewhere blogged about the difficulty with getting a taxi in TJ. The bus transfer is time consuming and also dependent upon traffic conditions.

Gracias for the input.
Old Sep 21, 10, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Decided upon going to the train station soon after arrival in BJ for tickets.
There's no need to go to the train station. First, try to find a ticket kiosk. If that fails, use your concierge. Even if the concierge charges a really obnoxious fee (e.g. 100%), it will be worth it.
Old Sep 21, 10, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Sorry to be a bit befuddled: "ticket kiosk"? would be located where?

Hotel - Park Plaza; near the Regent, and I think there is a metro entrance underneath.

Hope these details will be of help in directing me.
Old Sep 21, 10, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Hotel - Park Plaza WFJ; near the Regent, and I think there is a metro entrance underneath.

Old Sep 21, 10, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Hotel - Park Plaza WFJ; near the Regent, and I think there is a metro entrance underneath.

火车售票处

...I think.

Try google maps.
Old Sep 21, 10, 2:05 pm
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
There are authorized train ticket sellers around the city. Some of these are essentially dedicated sales outposts of the train station, others are specific travel agents. Normally, it is more convenient and less queueing hassle to get your train tickets here, if you can. First, check out this list.

I'm noting some options in the Wangfujing area that might be worth your checking out:

Zhongwei International Travel Service
Address: Suite 701, Floor 7, No. 307 Wangfujing Street

Heping Hotel Office (Peace Hotel)
Address: Jinyu Hutong 3

Red Sun Travel
Address: Wangfujing Street 50

Jiaxun Air Service
Address: Wangfujing Street 200
Old Sep 21, 10, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

This is great news for you; not only are you near a subway station, but it's a Line 5 station (Dengshikou) north of Dongdan (so you might be able to get seats). Basically, you have nothing to worry about on the morning of your departure.
Old Sep 21, 10, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Grateful for the detailed information. My initial google re kiosks flagged up Chinese responses/with translation button.
The info also included pictures of the outlets that sold train tickets.

I will be referring to jiejie's last post to buy tickets.

We are excited to visit BJ again. Timing of cruise coincides with the National Holiday. Crowds. Luckily that we have visited the major sites on past trips. ---In 1990, the year after TS, I had rode on the subway and in the tiny," breadbox cars." Lots of bikes on the roads then.

Thank you for easing my mind and smoothing our future to BJ.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: