Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Reasonable price for car service from PVG to Shanghai Hilton?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite

I have been quoted 600 RMB net (no additional service charge) for a car pickup service from PVG to the Shanghai Hilton (NW corner of the French Concession area). Based on everything that I've read here, this seems a little high. I was leaning towards a car service because we're coming off a 12-hour trans-pacific flight and I was trying to make it easy. But I am now re-visiting this perspective. Thoughts and insights?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:44 pm

Taxi would be ~180 RMB or so from PVG.

If you don't speak the language, just print out Hilton's website for this hotel, and show it to the guy in charge of the taxi line at PVG and he'll explain to the driver. The Hilton has been around a long time and is pretty well known, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

You can also print out their China site and bring that along too (http://www.hilton.com.cn/shanghai)

I don't think the car service would be worth the extra $$$, particularly going to a well known location like the Hilton.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:32 pm

Just take a taxi.

600 RMB is way too much.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:40 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best reliable deal I've seen is from Hertz which will provide a nice car and driver (one who doesn't drive like crazy) for around Y300-350. Dunno if it can be reserved from Hertz Int'l reservations though as I have only tried it from my hotel back to PVG.

Taxi is probably about Y150-180.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, seemed a little steep to me as well, so I'll go the taxi route.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by catgirl
Thanks everyone, seemed a little steep to me as well, so I'll go the taxi route.
You can also take the #2 bus for Y18.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:54 pm

Depending on arrival time, there might a long que for taxi. Another option, more for fun and less on efficiency/cost is take Maglev, then transfer to taxi.

Works ok if your traveling relatively light...
Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
Depending on arrival time, there might a long que for taxi.
Arriving at about 2:30 PM. Will there be a long queue at that time of the day? I considered the Maglev (for the experience) but I have a slight physical disability and I am concerned that walking to the Maglev station after we land might be a little bit of a distance. Is that true?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 3:52 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by catgirl
Arriving at about 2:30 PM. Will there be a long queue at that time of the day? I considered the Maglev (for the experience) but I have a slight physical disability and I am concerned that walking to the Maglev station after we land might be a little bit of a distance. Is that true?
You must be arriving on AC26 from Vancouver. I'll be making the same trip in Sept. and want to ride the Maglev, but I'm somewhat limited in the distance I can walk. If anyone can share some insight, would be greatly appreciative.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maltasr
You must be arriving on AC26 from Vancouver.
Yes, that's the one. Any information appreciated.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
600 is a ripoff, don't pay that. Take the maglev, 230pm is ideal, you really shouldn't have a queue. I've never seen the maglev ticket line be longer than 3-4 people ever, so you should be fine.

From Longyang station (terminus of the Maglev) take a cab to the Hilton. Should be probably 40-50 RMB from Longyang.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mnredfox
600 is a ripoff, don't pay that. Take the maglev, 230pm is ideal, you really shouldn't have a queue. I've never seen the maglev ticket line be longer than 3-4 people ever, so you should be fine.

From Longyang station (terminus of the Maglev) take a cab to the Hilton. Should be probably 40-50 RMB from Longyang.
She mentioned (in another thread) that she has an injured foot. Given that the Maglev platform is a 1/4 mile away from baggage claim, I think a taxi is probably her best bet.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by moondog
She mentioned (in another thread) that she has an injured foot. Given that the Maglev platform is a 1/4 mile away from baggage claim, I think a taxi is probably her best bet.
Actual difference is less? Once you exit customs, you have a choice:

1. walk straight out, que for taxi

OR

2. walk to your left, up escalator (not sure where the elevators are), then less than 400 meters (?) to Maglev station - a short par 4?

Again, this isn't HK, no luggage carts or folks to help with luggage and nowhere to stack luggage on Maglev.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 7:36 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a quick question about timing.

We're flying UA857 SFO-PVG in C, arriving 17:45 and spending the night at the new Waldorf Astoria at 51 Guang Dong Road (which I can't seem to find on a map, although it's supposed to be right on the Bund).

We'll be doing a transit visa. I've taken a taxi before to the Hilton and IIRC it took about an hour from PVG. Can anyone guess how long it will take to clear immigration and then take a taxi to the W-A on Guang Dong?

I'm trying to figure out what time to make a dinner reservation. You think we can reasonably expect to make it to the hotel by 19:30? Thanks.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a quick question about timing.

We're flying UA857 SFO-PVG in C, arriving 17:45 and spending the night at the new Waldorf Astoria at 51 Guang Dong Road (which I can't seem to find on a map, although it's supposed to be right on the Bund).

We'll be doing a transit visa. I've taken a taxi before to the Hilton and IIRC it took about an hour from PVG. Can anyone guess how long it will take to clear immigration and then take a taxi to the W-A on Guang Dong?

I'm trying to figure out what time to make a dinner reservation. You think we can reasonably expect to make it to the hotel by 19:30? Thanks.
You should be able to make it in 1.5 hrs. Maybe even a bit faster.
Here's your hotel btw

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.008873&z=17 (Guangdong lu/"The bund" Zongshan lu intersection, where it says Huaxia bank)

Google maps is not the best to use for China, gives a rough picture only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.