Reload this Page >

Banking and Good banks in the PRC Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2019, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Deltus
As of May 2019, this thread is closing in on its 9 year anniversary. A lot has changed during the course of the past 9 years. In particular: 1. WeChat Wallet and Alipay have risen to prominence, and 2. banking related security measures have become much more intense. #2 is especially relevant to foreigners in China because many --if not most-- banks are reluctant to open accounts for people on standard tourist or business visas.

The objective of this thread is to help people navigate these waters. Please feel free to add your own data points to the Google Sheet in the following link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lBOLufpsS_YypVd4Yv75aDVNLK2K0t8GHtbV7-O9Hqw/edit?usp=sharing

For an account of using HSBC Premier in China, see post 188.
Print Wikipost

Banking and Good banks in the PRC Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by HKtraveller
I am also HSBC Premier, but for China CMB is my first choice. Get the golden card by keeping a balance of 50000 RMB. The only setback with CMB is that the English online banking is absolute crap. The Chinese version works like a charm but you need to be able to read.

Very competitive rates for overseas ATM withdrawals (official Unionpay rate plus 0.5% charge, min. 10 RMB).
For overseas withdrawals my favourite is still CIB, where if you qualify for platinum and above (Y150000+) then all withdrawals anywhere in the world are free.

However, these days I would be cautious about putting too much cash in any one of these listed non-state banks (e.g., CIB or Merchant, as opposed to a big state bank like ICBC) as word is when the banking reforms finally happen the state may make an example of one of them by letting them go bust. If a bank like ICBC got into trouble they'd be printing cash without batting an eyelid.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
The ability (and cost) of transferring money is not the limiting factor (for me). It's the paperwork. Some, especially expat-heavy institutions have this worked out easily. Some places (my employer) are fairly clueless, and the hassle is greater than taking chunks of cash out whenever I travel.
There wouldn't be any paperwork or limits if you used a fee-free ATM card and just withdrew cash overseas. It just takes perseverance
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by tauphi
There wouldn't be any paperwork or limits if you used a fee-free ATM card and just withdrew cash overseas. It just takes perseverance
I do that also: I have a Huaxia bank account just for this purpose: one withdrawal a day FOC. But that means I can only convert a fairly limited amount on a short trip. Compare with taking $3k, e.g. and getting it done in one fell swoop.

tb
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
I do that also: I have a Huaxia bank account just for this purpose: one withdrawal a day FOC. But that means I can only convert a fairly limited amount on a short trip. Compare with taking $3k, e.g. and getting it done in one fell swoop.
You can get the same bank to issue more debit cards to you by going to a different branch in the same city (or even different cities if you run out of branches). Of course you could also go to a different bank that offers a fee-free withdrawal card.

As far as I know the withdrawal limits are still per-card rather than per-passport (which you could get around if you had multiple passports).

Last edited by tauphi; Nov 5, 2014 at 1:41 am
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by tauphi
You can get the same bank to issue more debit cards to you by going to a different branch in the same city (or even different cities if you run out of branches). Of course you could also go to a different bank that offers a fee-free withdrawal card.

As far as I know the withdrawal limits are still per-card rather than per-passport (which you could get around if you had multiple passports).
Which banks offer fee-free withdrawals that don't have a deposit (of large sums) requirement?

I feel a bit uncomfortable having multiple accounts at the same bank, but thank you for the suggestion.

tb
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:31 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I think this has been the best thread of banking in China for foreigners.

My son (US citizen) is going to college in Shanghai. The school can set up local bank accounts for students. It is just daily expenses, no tuition and dorm costs since they will be paid at US side. It is about $500 to $1,000 per month and I'll need to send to him to spend at Shanghai.

We/he has bank accounts at BofA and Chase. BofA + CCB can be a good combo. I can also open a new Citi account to use Global Transfer to the China account. I researched the HSBC Premier, but I can't fork out $100,000 fund just for this purpose. We do not want to pay the fees to send or wire the $$ to bank in China. Also, want to cut ATM fees to the minimum. Care less about CC rewards etc. We also have relatives who can lend my son the ATM card etc. Even have relative working at BoC.

I enjoy the online banking in US and wish to keep it and keep the costs to the very minimum. A US or global bank solutions is preferred. Any other good solutions?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:27 am

Dealing with banks in China is rarely pleasant or easy.

I'd strongly suggest you find a bank or credit union in the US that doesn't charge fees on overseas withdrawals, beyond passing on the ATM network charges.

Sending money by ATM is so simple and convenient. Rarely a problem unless you lose your card, so have a backup account as well.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:57 am
Suspended

HSBC solution would have been ideal. But not with the high balance. If no other good solution, I may go with the BofA + CCB route. Then we can use BofA (US) ATM card at CCB ATM. We can then deposit the unused RMB at local Chinese bank (CCB or another).
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 889
Dealing with banks in China is rarely pleasant or easy.

I'd strongly suggest you find a bank or credit union in the US that doesn't charge fees on overseas withdrawals, beyond passing on the ATM network charges.

Sending money by ATM is so simple and convenient. Rarely a problem unless you lose your card, so have a backup account as well.
For WeChat and alipay,only Chinese banks, and not all, work.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:26 am

So?

We're talking here about how his parents can most easily fund him from the U.S. Of course he can also open a Chinese bank account and try to get Alipay and Wechat working, funding the Chinese account with ATM withdrawals from the U.S. account.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by 889
So?

We're talking here about how his parents can most easily fund him from the U.S. Of course he can also open a Chinese bank account and try to get Alipay and Wechat working, funding the Chinese account with ATM withdrawals from the U.S. account.
Okay. In that case, fee free ATM withdrawals would be my personal primary objective.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:13 pm
Suspended

AliPay and Wechat Pay won't be any problem. The school will set up the local bank account since the students are entitled for it. The college has the full local support.

The issue is to get the fund into the Chinese local bank. I do not want to wire it and pay the wiring fees. The options are BofA + CCB ATMs or other bank's ATMs. I assume the cash will be RMB, not US $.

I do not know if Citi is another solution. The good thing is that this is Shanghai and it has the most banks in China.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:48 pm

ATMs in China usually work on most international networks, so there's no reason to stick with one Chinese bank for international withdrawals, unless it affects your U.S. bank fee. (Chinese banks don't add a fee for international withdrawals from their ATMs, yet.)

One point in Citibank's favor is that I've always found their ATMs very reliable, though they haven't got that many ATMs in China.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
AliPay and Wechat Pay won't be any problem. The school will set up the local bank account since the students are entitled for it. The college has the full local support.

The issue is to get the fund into the Chinese local bank. I do not want to wire it and pay the wiring fees. The options are BofA + CCB ATMs or other bank's ATMs. I assume the cash will be RMB, not US $.

I do not know if Citi is another solution. The good thing is that this is Shanghai and it has the most banks in China.
Schwab is perhaps unrivalled when it comes to pulling out money from ATMs worldwide because you can use any machine that accepts your card without worrying at all about fees. Most credit unions are also pretty good. The BOFA/CCB drill is kind of annoying because it forces you to be on the lookout for CCB ATMs or else pay obscene fees.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 889
ATMs in China usually work on most international networks, so there's no reason to stick with one Chinese bank for international withdrawals, unless it affects your U.S. bank fee. (Chinese banks don't add a fee for international withdrawals from their ATMs, yet.)

One point in Citibank's favor is that I've always found their ATMs very reliable, though they haven't got that many ATMs in China.
Avoiding ATM fees is one of the main concerns. Along with any wiring fees.

Originally Posted by moondog
Schwab is perhaps unrivalled when it comes to pulling out money from ATMs worldwide because you can use any machine that accepts your card without worrying at all about fees. Most credit unions are also pretty good. The BOFA/CCB drill is kind of annoying because it forces you to be on the lookout for CCB ATMs or else pay obscene fees.
This is something worth looking into.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.