Reload this Page >

Banking and Good banks in the PRC Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2019, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Deltus
As of May 2019, this thread is closing in on its 9 year anniversary. A lot has changed during the course of the past 9 years. In particular: 1. WeChat Wallet and Alipay have risen to prominence, and 2. banking related security measures have become much more intense. #2 is especially relevant to foreigners in China because many --if not most-- banks are reluctant to open accounts for people on standard tourist or business visas.

The objective of this thread is to help people navigate these waters. Please feel free to add your own data points to the Google Sheet in the following link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lBOLufpsS_YypVd4Yv75aDVNLK2K0t8GHtbV7-O9Hqw/edit?usp=sharing

For an account of using HSBC Premier in China, see post 188.
Print Wikipost

Banking and Good banks in the PRC Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2021, 6:01 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gudugan
If I'm reading this correctly... there's a way to get Premier status in another country without having a decent amount of money with HSBC?
I have Premier status in China because I have a decent amount of money with them. By extension I had Premier status in other countries where I had HSBC accounts.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few days ago I noticed that my ICBC app now has a section that offers me a payment QR code similar to Alipay and Wechat pay under the UnionPay quick pass system. I tested it out at a few places and it has worked everywhere so far. The reason this is interesting is that if it is treated the same as the Union Pay card, those of us without Chinese ID cards should be able to make purchases abroad now, which we can’t do with Alipay or Wechat pay. Obviously not gonna get a chance to test this out soon, but hopefully this is a good development.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
A few days ago I noticed that my ICBC app now has a section that offers me a payment QR code similar to Alipay and Wechat pay under the UnionPay quick pass system. I tested it out at a few places and it has worked everywhere so far. The reason this is interesting is that if it is treated the same as the Union Pay card, those of us without Chinese ID cards should be able to make purchases abroad now, which we can’t do with Alipay or Wechat pay. Obviously not gonna get a chance to test this out soon, but hopefully this is a good development.
I've used the UnionPay QR code a few times in China but not abroad. Lately what I've seen is that quite a few mid-tier restaurants will use a different POS to scan the UnionPay QR code. In one case the POS or the backend was broken so I had to whip out my AliPay QR code to pay.

So just because AliPay QR codes are accepted at a merchant, there is no guarantee that they will also take UnionPay QR codes.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 12:49 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
"UnionPay QR code" 云闪付? We have them in HK too. The promos are quite good (e.g. HK$1.5/mlie) but other than the big chain supermarkets and Maccas, we're struggling to find takers.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
"UnionPay QR code" 云闪付? We have them in HK too. The promos are quite good (e.g. HK$1.5/mlie) but other than the big chain supermarkets and Maccas, we're struggling to find takers.
The UnionPay QR code is available through 云闪付 but you can also use the banks' own apps.

Acceptance seems to be an issue on the mainland too. AliPay/WeChat seem to be unassailable.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 1:47 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
I've actually been in Canada for a while now and have seen a few shops that have the UnionPay QR acceptance logo. I just assumed it'd be limited like Alipay or WeChat, so I didn't even bother trying. I'll go give it a spin in the next few days and report back then.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:58 am

I tried to enroll through the 云闪付 app a couple of years ago and was blocked because my card was associated with a passport, not a Chinese ID card. Perhaps that has changed?
Old Jul 3, 2021, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by 889
I tried to enroll through the 云闪付 app a couple of years ago and was blocked because my card was associated with a passport, not a Chinese ID card. Perhaps that has changed?
That shouldn't be an issue.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by tauphi
That shouldn't be an issue.
However, actually making payments with it still is. I tried the code generated by the ICBC app at a grocery store in Vancouver that takes UnionPay QR codes, and it failed. The cashier side shows “AUTH_CODE_INVALID”, but I don’t see anything on my app to indicate anything was even attempted. The cashier even said “That’s weird, I use it myself and it works fine.” So it’s just like Alipay or WeChat in that regard.
Old May 25, 2022, 1:03 am

Getting a Credit Card

I randomly decided to try to get a credit card last month and I was suprised when the first bank I walked into (ICBC) told me I could apply. However, in the end they weren't able to submit the application because my name is too long. They tried to shorten it by leaving out my middle name, but I guess the system refused saying I can't have two different names (ICBC is my main bank account).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I try other ICBCs? Should I go to a bank that I have no prior relationship with? Is there a bank that can accept a long name? My name is 26 characters including 3 spaces.
Old May 25, 2022, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WFBtheV
I randomly decided to try to get a credit card last month and I was suprised when the first bank I walked into (ICBC) told me I could apply. However, in the end they weren't able to submit the application because my name is too long. They tried to shorten it by leaving out my middle name, but I guess the system refused saying I can't have two different names (ICBC is my main bank account).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I try other ICBCs? Should I go to a bank that I have no prior relationship with? Is there a bank that can accept a long name? My name is 26 characters including 3 spaces.
The only benefit I could see from getting a credit card would be ability to spend RMB abroad. Is this what you’re using it for? If not I can’t see any reason to go through the hassle.
Old May 25, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
The only benefit I could see from getting a credit card would be ability to spend RMB abroad. Is this what you’re using it for? If not I can’t see any reason to go through the hassle.
The benefit to me was not being hit by double conversion rates while I was there on my expat assignment. I was paid in RMB but transferred the bulk of my money home where it was converted to USD. Having my CCB credit card meant that all purchases made in China never suffered conversion issues and travel outside China only had it occur one time. I hadn’t intended on getting the card but my employer “sponsored” me for it.
Old May 25, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
The benefit to me was not being hit by double conversion rates while I was there on my expat assignment. I was paid in RMB but transferred the bulk of my money home where it was converted to USD. Having my CCB credit card meant that all purchases made in China never suffered conversion issues and travel outside China only had it occur one time. I hadn’t intended on getting the card but my employer “sponsored” me for it.
wouldn’t a debit card work the same? Dunno how it works outside China
Old May 25, 2022, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
Did you leave China before credit cards became obsolete domestically?
Old May 25, 2022, 8:18 am

Really no reason other than trying to do it. When I left the US I had about 30 active credit cards I think so it feels weird not having a single one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.