Yunnan Province

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Tiger,
Thanks for the link.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Recently, I've been using ht1881.com, which I find most up-to-date. But in Chinese only.
Interesting, never seen this one. I've never had a problem with CNVOL though...
Old Mar 26, 2011, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Interesting, never seen this one. I've never had a problem with CNVOL though...
ht1881 is the only site I've seen that lists the consist of each train - how many hard seat, hard sleeper, soft sleeper, deluxe soft sleeper, etc.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:05 pm

ht1881 site is Chinese only? Or did I miss the Union Jack flag somewhere?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by allset2travel
ht1881 site is Chinese only? Or did I miss the Union Jack flag somewhere?
Chinese only. Mentioned it earlier.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:32 am

Lijiang next week, any suggestions for day trips?

I have a few days in Lijiang coming up. Any suggestions for day trips? I will likely rent a car/taxi for each of the full days to take me to various locations. Mandarin not an issue.

I was thinking:
Day 1: AM Flight in, Tour Lijiang (Old town, etc) in PM
Day 2: Full day Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking
Day 3: Full day trip to Dali and surrounding areas & villages
Day 4: Open to suggestions
Day 5: AM Flight out

Not interested in Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. Not interested in the touristy stuff either.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:13 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sniles
I have a few days in Lijiang coming up. Any suggestions for day trips? I will likely rent a car/taxi for each of the full days to take me to various locations. Mandarin not an issue.

I was thinking:

Not interested in Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. Not interested in the touristy stuff either.
You're hitting the right areas, but wow time is tight. Lijiang is great (having been there), I've wanted to hike Tiger gorge, and spent a full day in Dali and it was awesome.

I'd suggest maybe pare it down to 2 of the 3.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by sniles

I was thinking:

Day 4: you could do Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. Days 2 & 3 are pretty tight. You need to start really early for Tiger Leaping Gorge.
If you plan to day trip Dali by train, be sure to get your ticket as soon as you hit Lijiang. Some times, some train gets sold out quickly. Howevedr, off season may be different.
Difficult to rent car. I tried without success. I ended up hiring an Englsih speaking college student and a private car with driver.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:51 am

I appreciate the input mnredfox and allset2travel.

I will likely go on a two day hike at TLG, taking up days 2 and 3. Made some arrangements from here in SH.
For day 4 I'll find a driver/taxi to take me around some local areas near Lijiang. Any suggestions as to which direction to head for a day trip? Local villages and culture are the goal. Others tell me there is not much along the way to Dali, which is what i had originally though to do.

I think we'll skip JDSM simply because other than a mountain with great views, there doesn't seem to be much else up there.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:12 pm

Yes, the TLG is a must. It's something so far I haven't been to sadly, but is on the top of my list!
Old Sep 11, 2011, 4:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Yes, the TLG is a must. It's something so far I haven't been to sadly, but is on the top of my list!
Then, get yourself a proper visa, and come on back to the Middle Kingdom!
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Then, get yourself a proper visa, and come on back to the Middle Kingdom!
Working on it now...

Mini PVG DO when I get one...
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It looks like part of my family will be flying to Lijiang in February (my grandfather was from Baisha) and I'm having trouble finding reasonable flights.

I can enter/exit China at PVG, PEK or HKG... but the domestic flight options are confusing. I haven't found any direct flights to LJG from those 3 airports. Am I missing a good alternative to a connection in KMG?

I will be an AA EXP with access to both SWUs (free upgrades BOS>PVG/PEK) and AA miles (for HKG/KMG). It's far enough out that I could also assemble limited mileage in another US based program if UA or DL miles would be useful.

If I have to take MU or MU/KA to get to LJG is there a good site to book those flights, and would DL miles be useable?

Last edited by Ambraciot; Sep 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
It looks like part of my family will be flying to Lijiang in February (my grandfather was from Baisha) and I'm having trouble finding reasonable flights.

I can enter/exit China at PVG, PEK or HKG... but the domestic flight options are confusing. I haven't found any direct flights to LJG from those 3 airports. Am I missing a good alternative to a connection in KMG?

I will be an AA EXP with access to both SWUs (free upgrades BOS>PVG/PEK) and AA miles (for HKG/KMG). It's far enough out that I could also assemble limited mileage in another US based program if UA or DL miles would be useful.

If I have to take MU or MU/KA to get to LJG is there a good site to book those flights, and would DL miles be useable?
There used to be (very expensive) direct flights to Lijiang from both PEK and SHA, but these no longer appear on the LJG wiki.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to use miles to get all the way to Kunming or Chongqing via HKG.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by moondog
There used to be (very expensive) direct flights to Lijiang from both PEK and SHA, but these no longer appear on the LJG wiki.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to use miles to get all the way to Kunming or Chongqing via HKG.
CX F would be great, but if I can only find J seats I will save the miles for later and use SWUs to PVG or PEK. (I also have my eye on a trip in a 9W F suite later in 2012)

Is there a good way to book the MU/CZ domestic flights to LJG? Unfortunately I never learned Chinese.

Since they're both in Skyteam now, shouldn't DL miles be redeemable and a good value? Will I be able to find business class seats on any of the MU/CZ flights to or from KMG?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.