Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

FYI: Details on Shenzhez Shekou to Hong Kong Airport Ferry Service

FYI: Details on Shenzhez Shekou to Hong Kong Airport Ferry Service

Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Anybody have updated experiences with the Shekou -> HKIA ferry?

I'm considering taking the ferry this Sunday. I usually take a private car from Futian CBD to HKG via Huangang or Shenzhen Bay Checkpoints. The cost is 750RMB, paid by my company. Total travel time is typically 1 hour.

The private car service is not available to me this Sunday, so considering a try with the ferry. However, I'm a little concerned about total travel time. One poster above estimated about 2 hours.

What is the best way to buy a ticket? The only online ticketing option seems to be with CKS. They have a number of classes available, VIP, First and Economy. Looks like VIP is not available on the Shekou route. Price difference between first and economy is negligible -- HKD 380 vs 340. Does anyone have information on the differences between the 2 classes?

I am looking for a civilized trip, no pushing through crowds or fighting off line cutters and with a reasonably comfortable seat. For a first class ticket, I wouldn't expect and airline quality service, just a little bit lower hassle and slightly more comfort.

The total transit time seems a bit too much, although it may be a bit more thrilling than the standard car ride to Lantau island. My other option is probably taxi to Shenzhen Bay checkpoint and take one of the Sky Limo vans. I've done this before. They charge 150RMB to the airport and I'm usually successful in grabbing the front seat. Total time is usually a little more than an hour.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: AS 100K
does any one have any experience taking Ferry from the Fuyong terminal to HKIA? I have a flight landing at 4pm in SZX. Looking to fly out to SIN later that evening on SQ or CX but not sure how much time I should have in between to allow me enough time to get to HKIA.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
does any one have any experience taking Ferry from the Fuyong terminal to HKIA? I have a flight landing at 4pm in SZX. Looking to fly out to SIN later that evening on SQ or CX but not sure how much time I should have in between to allow me enough time to get to HKIA.
If you are flying on Tuesday, Thursday, on Saturday, sq has a 515p flight out of szx.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
The only possible ferry to HKIA departs from SZX at 18:30. The journey is about 1 hour. Allowing for another hour for alighting, security, airport tax refund, etc., your safe bet is to book a flight leaving HKG after 20:30.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by moondog
If you are flying on Tuesday, Thursday, on Saturday, sq has a 515p flight out of szx.
i'm flying in on a Friday, unfortunately!
Old May 22, 2018, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
The only possible ferry to HKIA departs from SZX at 18:30. The journey is about 1 hour. Allowing for another hour for alighting, security, airport tax refund, etc., your safe bet is to book a flight leaving HKG after 20:30.
thanks for your comment.

my friend and I are considering one of these flights:

19:55 departure on SQ
20:25 dep on CX
20:35 dep on 3W or
21:50 dep on Scoot.

ideally the SQ was our first choice but I think i might be cutting it too close. Now, we are leaning towards the CX or 3W flight. do you think taking one of these two flights would be cutting it close? We are planning on getting our boarding passes at the Fuyong terminal and We will not be checking in any bags.

also, I've noticed my HU PEK-SZX flight has been getting in 20-30min early over 50% of the time that last couple of weeks. if my flight does get in early...would it be worth it to take a taxi to the Shekou terminal and then a ferry to HKIA? Shekou has more ferries to HKIA than Fuyong.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
also, I've noticed my HU PEK-SZX flight has been getting in 20-30min early over 50% of the time that last couple of weeks. if my flight does get in early...would it be worth it to take a taxi to the Shekou terminal and then a ferry to HKIA? Shekou has more ferries to HKIA than Fuyong.
Is there any chance you could cancel that flight and replace it with PEK-HKG or PEK-SIN? I'm running through the various SZX scenarios in my head, and none of them are especially optimal, but your 630p ferry is the least awful of the bunch. FYI, try to do OLCI (and optimally print your BPs) before you get to the ferry terminal; this will speed up the ticketing process because they only sell to people with airplane tickets. They can also be kind of anal about connecting times once you get to HKIA because they have to babysit you if you misconnect.

ETA: It's also occurred to that, in case you aren't aware, the walk from plane to the ground transportation area at SZX can easily suck up 40+ minutes.

Last edited by moondog; May 22, 2018 at 6:19 am
Old May 22, 2018, 8:45 am

Just to update one of the posts above, the shuttle bus between the Metro and the new terminal is no longer free: have 1RMB ready, no change given.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
As moondog mentions, the departure time of your flight out of HKG is an important determinant whether or not the ferry operator will even sell you a ticket. The confusing thing about the cutoff time is that it varies by airline/destination. I just used the Shekou ferry for the first time last month, and the CX staff told me that U.S.-bound pax need to arrive HKIA at least 120 minutes before scheduled departure. They regularly deny passengers who were unaware of the connecting time, because with the ferry, you are basically transiting Hong Kong instead of entering it. So it's the ferry operator's responsibility, not the airline, to deliver you to HKIA without risking a misconnect and leaving you stuck there with a possible bureaucratic mess.

JL says you need to take a ferry that arrives HKIA at least 110 minutes before your scheduled flight (link).
For SQ, it's 65 minutes with only hand luggage, 80 minutes with checked luggage (link).
CX's website has a general statement of 110 minutes, which might or might not contradict what I was told last month, because it referred specifically to U.S. pax (link).
Old May 23, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Is there any chance you could cancel that flight and replace it with PEK-HKG or PEK-SIN? I'm running through the various SZX scenarios in my head, and none of them are especially optimal, but your 630p ferry is the least awful of the bunch. FYI, try to do OLCI (and optimally print your BPs) before you get to the ferry terminal; this will speed up the ticketing process because they only sell to people with airplane tickets. They can also be kind of anal about connecting times once you get to HKIA because they have to babysit you if you misconnect.

ETA: It's also occurred to that, in case you aren't aware, the walk from plane to the ground transportation area at SZX can easily suck up 40+ minutes.
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
As moondog mentions, the departure time of your flight out of HKG is an important determinant whether or not the ferry operator will even sell you a ticket. The confusing thing about the cutoff time is that it varies by airline/destination. I just used the Shekou ferry for the first time last month, and the CX staff told me that U.S.-bound pax need to arrive HKIA at least 120 minutes before scheduled departure. They regularly deny passengers who were unaware of the connecting time, because with the ferry, you are basically transiting Hong Kong instead of entering it. So it's the ferry operator's responsibility, not the airline, to deliver you to HKIA without risking a misconnect and leaving you stuck there with a possible bureaucratic mess.

JL says you need to take a ferry that arrives HKIA at least 110 minutes before your scheduled flight (link).
For SQ, it's 65 minutes with only hand luggage, 80 minutes with checked luggage (link).
CX's website has a general statement of 110 minutes, which might or might not contradict what I was told last month, because it referred specifically to U.S. pax (link).
thans again to both of you for input. It's the info on minimum connection times in HKIA that has made me hesitate which HKG-SIN flight i should book. Based on the MCTs, it seems the SQ, CX, and 3W options might not be doable after all. I'm thinking the last flight on Scoot should work. Does Scoot allow online/mobile check in? It seems they don't have checking-in agents at either Shenzhen ferry terminal.
@moondog: I'm afraid I just can't switch my flight to fly staright into HKG instead. I'm booked on HU TIJ-PEK-SZX with an awfully long 4h25m connection in PEK. I doubt HU would let us switch to an earlier flight, without a fee, to SZX if we get in early.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by 889
Just to update one of the posts above, the shuttle bus between the Metro and the new terminal is no longer free: have 1RMB ready, no change given.
Last time I was in SZX the new metroline had a station in the new terminal so you don't even need a shuttle bus to Hourui.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:02 am

No, the new Shekou Ferry Terminal does not have a Metro station. The Metro station called 蛇口港 Shekou Port serves the old and now abandoned passenger terminal, not quite 1 km away from the new terminal, which can be reached either on foot or by the 1 RMB shuttle bus I mentioned.

(I was updating this post above: "There is a free shuttle bus from the old ferry terminal at Shekou Station to the new terminal down the road." But perhaps you're referring to the Airport terminal, which does indeed now have its own Metro station, no longer any need to take the shuttle bus to the old airport Metro station.)

Last edited by 889; May 26, 2018 at 3:08 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.