Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Transfering from PVG to SHA in Shanghai

Transfering from PVG to SHA in Shanghai

Old Sep 20, 10, 5:48 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could also take a taxi or hire a car/driver from a company like Hertz. This web page:

http://www.q2hoo.com/2010/06/latest-...po-edition.htm

says the first subway (metro) train from PVG is at 6:30am, and if you grab a seat at the start, since no transfer is required, you could ride all the way to SHA on the metro in maybe 90 minutes or less.
Old Sep 21, 10, 4:45 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, AC, US
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
You could also take a taxi or hire a car/driver from a company like Hertz. This web page:

http://www.q2hoo.com/2010/06/latest-...po-edition.htm

says the first subway (metro) train from PVG is at 6:30am, and if you grab a seat at the start, since no transfer is required, you could ride all the way to SHA on the metro in maybe 90 minutes or less.
Which metro line goes from PVG to SHA?
Old Sep 21, 10, 4:53 am

Programs: Spire RA, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN, Ctrip Diamond VIP.
Originally Posted by thyeri View Post
Which metro line goes from PVG to SHA?
Line 2, approx 100 mins according to http://www.exploreshanghai.com/metro/ Remember you still need to change trains at Guanglan road station (opposite platform), so it's not entirely non-stop.
Bus seems like the more comfortable and quicker way.
Old Sep 21, 10, 4:56 am

Programs: HH, BD
deleted

Last edited by jib71; Sep 21, 10 at 5:06 am
Old Sep 21, 10, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl View Post
Line 2, approx 100 mins according to http://www.exploreshanghai.com/metro/ Remember you still need to change trains at Guanglan road station (opposite platform), so it's not entirely non-stop.
Bus seems like the more comfortable and quicker way.
Yes I'll take the bus...
Thanks all for your help! ^
Old Sep 21, 10, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by jib71 View Post
The one at PVG.
Nice one!
Old Jul 13, 11, 3:29 am

I wonder if the recommendation of taking the bus still applies? The estimate of the #2 train from PVG to SHA taking over 90 minutes seems high to me. Is it still true?

Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 11, 3:34 am

Programs: Spire RA, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN, Ctrip Diamond VIP.
Originally Posted by username View Post
I wonder if the recommendation of taking the bus still applies? The estimate of the #2 train from PVG to SHA taking over 90 minutes seems high to me. Is it still true?

Thanks.
Is correct. http://www.exploreshanghai.com/metro/ even estimates 97 mins. It's (on the road) around 55 km.
Old Jul 13, 11, 5:48 am

Programs: US CP, DL PM, UA Silver, HU/TJ Air Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat (Yay!)
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl View Post
Is correct. http://www.exploreshanghai.com/metro/ even estimates 97 mins. It's (on the road) around 55 km.

yes, its a long ride...but it's easy, you'll probably get a seat, there's no traffic, and it's cheap
Old Jul 13, 11, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais View Post
yes, its a long ride...but it's easy, you'll probably get a seat, there's no traffic, and it's cheap
The subway stops in ~30 places.

The bus is nonstop.

The bus is 2.5x the price of the subway, but we're only talking about a two dollar price differential.
Old Jul 14, 11, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Subway is not the way to go from PVG to SHA, it is slow!!! Takes over an hour just from PVG to People's Square (not that I've done it).

Maglev to cab likely fastest, or just cab all the way. And don't do that during rush hour.
Old Jul 16, 11, 1:05 am

I asked at PVG on the way out and they said that:

1 - buses do no thave a fixed schedule but probably around every 20 minutes
2 - cost is 30 RMB oneway
Old Jul 16, 11, 5:59 am

Bus is the best way to transfer between PVG and SHA, I did it many times.
Not easy to find out which bus line to take, everything is written in Chinese and it's hard to find indications.

Bus is between two terminals in PVG. Close to the airport hotel entrance. I don't remember the bus line number but it's the furthest gate on the platform.
Old Jul 16, 11, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thyeri View Post
Bus is the best way to transfer between PVG and SHA, I did it many times.
Not easy to find out which bus line to take, everything is written in Chinese and it's hard to find indications.
The buses are numbered. #1 connects the two airports, but please double check because it's theoretically possible that things could change.

Bus is between two terminals in PVG. Close to the airport hotel entrance. I don't remember the bus line number but it's the furthest gate on the platform.
Actually, they depart from T1 and pick up more passengers in the location you describe.

Since I've never taken the #1 bus, I'm not sure what things are like on the Hongqiao end, but I presume the drop-off/pick-up point is at T2 between the train station and the airline terminal (they are right next to each other).
Old Oct 20, 14, 11:34 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
The buses are numbered. #1 connects the two airports, but please double check because it's theoretically possible that things could change.

Actually, they depart from T1 and pick up more passengers in the location you describe.

Since I've never taken the #1 bus, I'm not sure what things are like on the Hongqiao end, but I presume the drop-off/pick-up point is at T2 between the train station and the airline terminal (they are right next to each other).
Just now realized that I have a PVG arrival and SHA departure separated by 4 hours and 40 minutes. Not sure why United.com didn't alert me to "airport change" when I originally booked it (like it normally does), but thank goodness I discovered this now rather than upon arrival!

Arrival off of Air New Zealand (business class with priority luggage tags and yes, likely checked luggage) at 7:10am on a Saturday morning, departure out of SHA at 11:50am. Same ticket, of course.

Questions:

1. Bus seems to be the most convenient based on this thread, but a ride on the maglev would be very fun. Any advice as to the feasibility of doing the maglev for part of the journey? Any updates to the bus or other options since this thread was last updated?
  2. Any concerns with the connection time?
  3. Any visa issues to be aware of for U.S. citizens? I know the normal 72-hour transit visa isn't available if you're stopping in multiple airports, so we're going to be on the 24-hour visa-free transit that should allow multiple stops in China, but anything to be aware of here? What happens in the event of misconnects, IRROPS, and resulting overnights (heaven forbid)?

Thanks in advance!

(I've done the maglev once before, but my traveling companion hasn't, and I think it's great fun. Plus, it was late at night last time and the train was "only" going 300kph--I'd like to see if it's doing the full 450kph this time!)

Last edited by jackal; Oct 21, 14 at 12:30 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: