Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Layover at ORD - what to do? where to go? how much time?" thread

Old Nov 6, 2003, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

I've a 6hr layover scheduled at ORD on a Saturday afternoon in January.

Seems a bit long to hang around the airport, but not sure that it's worth going down town to get something to eat. Will have access to the RCC (for what that's worth!), but any suggestions welcome.

Will be arriving from YYC and heading onto LHR.

Thanks
Old Nov 6, 2003, 6:43 pm
CS

Programs: Southwest A+ Preferred, National Executive Elite, Hertz Five Star
Six hours?

Six hours is a long time to be at O'Hare. I'd take an EL downtown and hangout, maybe go up to the top of Sears Tower or Hancock building, I don't know...shop on Magnificent Mile, etc...

That should leave you plenty of time depending on the traffic, but I wouldn't cut it too close in gettin' back.

Have fun!

------------------

[This message has been edited by CS (edited 11-06-2003).]
Old Nov 7, 2003, 2:45 pm

The 96th floor of the Hancock Building has a lounge. There is no charge to get in, and although cocktails are $9-10, the view is unbelievable.

The subway ride will cost $1.50 each way and I'd recommend it. You can plan your trip at http://www.yourcta.com -- click on train maps, and you'll see the Blue Line from ORD to downtown and the Red Line to State and Chicago, from where it is a four-block walk to the Hancock Building.

Enjoy your brief stay in Chicago and good luck with your travels!
Old Nov 30, 2003, 4:14 am

Location: Primary: Its largest airport was named for a World War II hero; its second largest, for a World War II battle., Secondary: 88NV via RNO
Programs: UA ex-2P, now mile burner and Kayaker (ITA-er?)
Good Call. On bad traffic days CTA can be faster, but then N. Michigan Avenue is a hike or Taxi, or a Transfer (Red Line to Chicago Av.).

If your layover is mid-day, and you take the CTA Blue Line, then from the Jackson stop, Sears Tower is five blocks west and the Art Institute is only three blocks east, and the State Street Retail District is just a block over.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 5:22 am

OT: ORD layover

I have a 4 hour layover at ORD tomorrow from 3.15 pm-7pm. Is that enough time to get to the city? Or is anybody at the airport around that time?
Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:45 am

Programs: UA2P
I wouldn't take the chance. Traffic on Friday's is brutal (and you are right at the rush hour period). Even taking the train from ORD would be iffy.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:45 am

Programs: UA PremExec
layover

4 hrs is probably not enough to go into the city and do anything meaningful. The "L" to downtown from the airport would take about 40 minutes each way. Allowing time to get back through security on your return would leave you with about 2 hours in the city at most. A cab back and forth may be a bit quicker but would run about $35-40 each way (and you would be returning at the tail end of rush hour).
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:20 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Yo do have time for an EXCELLANT rib dinner at the Gale Street Inn. Not too fancy, but excellant ribs!

See www.galestreet.com for info.

This is located at 4914 Milwaukee Avenue, almost directly accross the street from the Jefferson Park Blue Line CTA station. And the neighborhood there is very safe.

The Blue Line originates/ends in the lowest level of ORD. Fare is $1.75 each way. (Return is only $0.25 if within 2 hours of the ootbound trip's start). The CTA ride should take about 10-14 minutes each way. See www.transitchicago.com

Oh, yes, diners there get iDine (airline) miles IF they preregister at united.com/dining and dine on weeknights.

Enjoy!

Last edited by roberto99; Feb 3, 2005 at 7:25 am
Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:22 am

Programs: WWMFD
You could always just get in the line for the C Concourse RCC.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:52 am

Thanks for all your replies!
I think well try the Ribs at the Gale Street Inn. Anybody who wants to join at around 4pm?
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:34 pm

As I wont be able to access flyertalk from now on please call me at +49-xxxx. Would be great if somebody is able to join!

Last edited by Tim2008; May 21, 2005 at 12:32 pm
Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:51 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UAkls
4 hrs is probably not enough to go into the city and do anything meaningful. The "L" to downtown from the airport would take about 40 minutes each way.
agreed and plan on at least 50-55 minutes from ORD for the trip each way on the L
Old May 21, 2005, 12:14 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Duh--I never thought about it this way since I live here, but those who don't have time to go all the way downtown can probably spend an hour or so in Wicker Park. Much better food, lively street vibe, trendy boutiques that wealthy tourists must like (since I sure can't afford them), and it's only 30 minutes away by train. A return ticket on CTA is indeed $2, but time your trip exactly: your two hours begin the moment you enter the station.

http://www.centerstagechicago.com/vi...are/damen.html
Old Oct 9, 2005, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Minimum layover at ORD?

What would you say would be the minimum amount of time to arrive at ORD, have lunch somewhere meaningful like Geno's, and head back to ORD, using public transport?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
What would you say would be the minimum amount of time to arrive at ORD, have lunch somewhere meaningful like Geno's, and head back to ORD, using public transport?

I'll assume you Don't want to go all the way downtown but hit the Genos near at Ohare.

Wait/ride Blue Line to Cumberland. 15 minutes.
Walk to Genos from EL stop. 10 minutes (cut accross the back parking lots of the Marriott, and 9700 office buildings.)
Lunch at Genos (can vary widely if lunch time) 0:45 minimum to 1:15 maximum
Walk back to Cumberland EL station. 10 minutes
Wait/Ride Back to ORD. 15 minutes

If you had about a 3:30 hour connection you should be just fine.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Oct 11, 2005 at 1:54 pm Reason: padded the connection length.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.