Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Best Restaurants in Chicago?

Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR

Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations for Chicago? I will be traveling there for an extended weekend in June and have never been. Thx
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM

Tripadvisor? Yelp?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:21 am

Some of my favorites: Bavette's (steak), Bohemian House (BoHo), Avec (sharing / small plates), Twin Anchor's (BBQ), Big Star (tacos), Antique Taco. These are all over the city, so if you are in a specific area or need more ideas feel free to PM me.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:24 am

The best way to approach this based on what?

Your taste?
Price?
Popular Opinion?
Critics choice?

What is best for me might not be best for you.

Head over to www.lthforum.com search and read up...you'll probably fine some quality suggestions over there. It's the Chicago based Culinary chatsite.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
The "best" are Alinea and Grace, with a host of other contenders. But there's a price tag that accompanies those.

It really depends on what type of food you like, and what you're willing to pay.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by safra1
Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations for Chicago? I will be traveling there for an extended weekend in June and have never been. Thx
What we're all saying in one way or another is that you need to give us some idea of how you're defining "best". Most stars, costs the most, good inexpensive local places, best reviewed? As well, some help on what you like to eat would help - steak? vegetarian? Indian? Asian? Burgers? Pizza? Italian? What part of the city will you be in?

We need something to go on since there are thousands of great restaurants in Chicago.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Apologies for the broadness of the question. I guess, I was asking for recommendations for restaurants that are "authentically Chicago."
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Apologies for the broadness of the question. I guess, I was asking for recommendations for restaurants that are "authentically Chicago."
Read these articles for a start:
http://chicago.eater.com/maps/iconic...o-list-classic
http://chicago.eater.com/maps/10-cla...o-dining-rooms
http://chicago.eater.com/maps/25-cla...agoan-must-try
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
There are a lot of lousy "authentically Chicago" restaurants. Aside from a few regional specialties (Chicago style hot dogs, deep dish/stuffed pizza, chicken vesuvio), Chicago doesn't have a distinct cuisine. Care to share some of your favorite restaurants in your home town or memorable meals you've eaten in your travels? Or even your favorite cuisines?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
There are a lot of lousy "authentically Chicago" restaurants. Aside from a few regional specialties (Chicago style hot dogs, deep dish/stuffed pizza, chicken vesuvio), Chicago doesn't have a distinct cuisine. Care to share some of your favorite restaurants in your home town or memorable meals you've eaten in your travels? Or even your favorite cuisines?
Yes, a little more help would be good...

I'd say there's one exception in the sit-down restaurant category, the steakhouse. I'd recommend Gibson's or Gene and Georgetti's for real Chicago-style restaurants.

There's also a number of good Italian restaurants in Little Italy, some of which are very authentic.

Finally, if the OP wants something a little more adventurous and upscale, try Moto. Chicago is also recognized as being on the forefront of molecular gastonomy.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:40 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
Yes, a little more help would be good...

I'd say there's one exception in the sit-down restaurant category, the steakhouse. I'd recommend Gibson's or Gene and Georgetti's for real Chicago-style restaurants.

There's also a number of good Italian restaurants in Little Italy, some of which are very authentic.

Finally, if the OP wants something a little more adventurous and upscale, try Moto. Chicago is also recognized as being on the forefront of molecular gastonomy.
Great point...we're certainly known for our steakhouses. Alinea is another molecular gastronomy restaurant and one of the top-ranked restaurants in the world.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:55 am

Lou Malnatis pizza
Pizzeria Uno or Due.
Al's Italian Beef
Portillos hot dogs
Ann Sathers
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jacketwatch
Lou Malnatis pizza
Pizzeria Uno or Due.
Al's Italian Beef
Portillos hot dogs
Ann Sathers
No.

No.

No.

No.

Seriously. no.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
No.

No.

No.

No.

Seriously. no.
Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

I agree that those are not close to the best restaurants in Chicago. If that's you're point, fine. But then where would you suggest a visitor go for deep dish pizza, hot dogs, Italian beef or a place that serves the kinds of food that Ann Sather does? These are iconic Chicago restaurants and I would bet most of us think they're all the places to go for that kind of food (however, Mr. Beef is far superior to Al's. ).
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
No.

No.

No.

No.

Seriously. no.
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

I agree that those are not close to the best restaurants in Chicago. If that's you're point, fine. But then where would you suggest a visitor go for deep dish pizza, hot dogs, Italian beef or a place that serves the kinds of food that Ann Sather does? These are iconic Chicago restaurants and I would bet most of us think they're all the places to go for that kind of food (however, Mr. Beef is far superior to Al's. ).
I would concur with ILuvParis, why? Especially since the OP amended his question to be:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.