Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

And you thought liquid checks were bad....Here come powders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

And you thought liquid checks were bad....Here come powders

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by n4zhg
Watch out if they start intensive field-testing with those crappy police testers. Lots of travellers are going to end up in prison for that tooth powder.
What, just because people in possession of breath mints, chocolate, soap, cookies, pool cue chalk, and powdered deodorant have had those products test positive for drugs and gone to jail doesn't mean...

yeah, we're screwed. Dangit.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 1:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
the next time i go on the lam, i'll have to use a new plan......i guess that taking a powder might not work!
Old Aug 19, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeef
Technically, the powders do turn into liquids if you mix them with water. Maybe that's what they're worried about.

So new TSA think: Something becomes a liquid if you put it in a, er ... , liquid.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 2:15 pm
Suspended

I think the more items the TSA puts on the verboten list the better because with each and every item added it becomes more and more clear, even to the Kettles, what a dog and pony show the TSA truly is.

Actually, I'm liking the idea of no carry-ons at all better every day. Force people to check all their luggage, pay the fees and have their stuff stolen - air travel will plummet and the airlines will finally say "enough, already" and that will spell the end for the TSA.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 2:21 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by red456
I think the more items the TSA puts on the verboten list the better because with each and every item added it becomes more and more clear, even to the Kettles, what a dog and pony show the TSA truly is.

Actually, I'm liking the idea of no carry-ons at all better every day. Force people to check all their luggage, pay the fees and have their stuff stolen - air travel will plummet and the airlines will finally say "enough, already" and that will spell the end for the TSA.
I really hope that the OP wasn't poking around in the PV archives. On one thread I commented that TSA might consider tooth powder a liquid because you can pour it out of the container. Some folks took it seriously and ran with it for a ways. Now if the clown posse over at TSA ran with it as well and now call tooth powder a liquid....
Old Aug 19, 2009, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cparekh

So new TSA think: Something becomes a liquid if you put it in a, er ... , liquid.
So is the chunk of sodium metal in my carry-on a banned item?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
WMD: Wordprocesors of Mass Destruction Dept.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The TSA management only now figured out that powders can be explosive? What idiots in TSA management, but don't they know that other solids besides powder can also be explosive
Some TSO was watching Season 8 of MacGyver:
"Knowing that the silvery flash power used in common firecrackers contains metal dust, secret agent Angus MacGyver smuggles a diamond crusted ceramic file through the WTMD and onto a commercial airliner. On the 14 hour flight from Tokyo, he files the aluminum handle of his rollaboard and makes enough powder to fashion a single M-80 using his Chapstick tube for the case. Since this show is in a Pre-9/11™ World, the kettle in the next seat does not report him to the FAMs."

Is TSA still allowing my Weapon of Choice on planes? The Laptop Computer. Six dense pounds that can be used to bash someone over the head. From 10 feet away it can be thrown lke a frisbee, with a face, Adams apple, or back of head strike likely to stun the person long enough to overpower them. It also contains a heavy quickly removeable battery for a first strike diversion or a follow up throw. It also is my Defensive Weapon of Choice against 9/11™ type boxcutter or knife attackers. No way TSA can allow such a weapon on planes if they care about my security.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
So is the chunk of sodium metal in my carry-on a banned item?
No, but mercury is.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SW Rewards, WorldPerks, Barnes and Noble Frequent Buyers
If they ban powder there are going to be a lot of sore baby butts flying around, not to mention shiny faced FA's. Geez.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Originally Posted by ORDflyer
Actually there ARE Dust explosions
They can be nasty in old grain elevators.
Yeah, but it’s *really* tough to get a grain elevator in the overhead bin.
^ but in line with tsa logic (hey, who said logic ), if they can think it, it must be true and they gots ta keep the sheeple safe

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The TSA's relentless stupidity knows no bounds and is matched only by the willingness of our nation of cowards and idiots to let this pointless nonsense continue after eight years of ghost-chasing.

The charlatans selling phony security know no shame.
^ baaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AirlineBrat53
If they ban powder there are going to be a lot of sore baby butts flying around, not to mention shiny faced FA's. Geez.
C'mon, you should know by now that FAs aren't subject to the rules.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by AirlineBrat53
FA's are not subject to the LGA restriction so I would think they will get a pass on powders as well.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:27 pm

So far there hasn't been one bit of proof to back up the OP's claim.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Good Guy
So far there hasn't been one bit of proof to back up the OP's claim.
That's how we know it's from the TSA. Who needs "proof" when you've got SSI?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
That's how we know it's from the TSA. Who needs "proof" when you've got SSI?
Got me there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.