Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

47 ExpressJet passengers forced to spend night on plane after diversion to RST...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

47 ExpressJet passengers forced to spend night on plane after diversion to RST...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
That's their job, they make it up as they go along.

The statement makes it sound as if all the options and outcomes were decided at once. It didn't happen like that, the passengers were no doubt strung along with one 'announcement' after another. Standard airline technique to avoid instant insurrection

I doubt there was anyone around the airport at that time. ExpressJet may have tried to get hold of ground crew, terminal staff, charter a bus etc. or they may simply have done nothing at all and made up a cover story afterwards. They need to work on their stories though.
That's the airline culture. I suppose the airlines should learn American culture.

Last edited by Yaatri; Aug 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: Former DL PM, current level: tin
Originally Posted by GregL
Am I the only person who, after several hours of nonsense, would pop one of the emergency exits?

I realize that I'd be arrested but, after going through that type of situation, I think I'd be able to convince a jury of my peers that I was justified in doing so.

Greg
I was wondering the same thing. I've personally spent 4 hours on the ground in CVG in a CRJ during an ice storm (one of the 2 deicers broke) before they decided they would be low on fuel and had to return to the gate. That was rough, and we got free food from the snack basket 2 hours into the ordeal. I'm young, healthy, not claustrophobic, sleep in hostels or floors when I travel and 9 hours in an ERJ would be pretty tough.

I do like the idea of claiming chest pain, etc.... Maybe that will have to be the standard response from passengers in this situation.

Finally, side comment wrt Continental and their handling of this issue. This is now the second bad incident in the past several months where a regional plane flown by them has had problems and they've completely ducked responsibility. Obviously this doesn't even come close to comparing to the tragedy of Buffalo but the response by CO seems to be the same. Immediately saying "Oh, but this wasn't a CONTINENTAL flight, merely one operated by a contractor. Not our fault, sorry, see yah."

I'd love to see regulations that place any faults by a contracted regional carrier equally onto the mainline company. Maybe they will start caring what happens to their passengers then. I personally regard the Buffalo crash as a Continental crash, it was sold by CO, marketed by CO and the plane was in CO livery.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by AngryMiller
The airlines can put their trip and food vouchers where the sun doesn't shine. Neither one mitigates the pain and discomfort. The Continental pilot had a radio. Someone was in the control tower giving him clearance to land. The aircraft required no jet bridge to deplane passengers.

Continental is responsible for the way this was handled once the plane rerouted to Rochester. A fast food, diapers, and formula run would have done much to ease the misery of the passengers. Even allowing the passengers to deplane and make other finishing travel arrangements would be better than what happened.
Exactly! They will have to take own responsibilities to bring the passengers back to terminal. They cannot stay onboard the plane for more than 9 hours. Its does not good for those passengers at all. This is not specific time where CO is diverted RST instead of MSP. It wasn't supposed to stay opened the terminal during late-night.

Obviously, It wasn't feels enough during night flight out IAH-MSP. It was nobody says that from CO is not their own fault who did diverted the aircraft to RST. I knows MSP-RST is shorter the distance is approximately 70 miles. It wasn't too bad for the customers.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yeah, I think airlines would likely to give everyone voucher for future trip is $100 or $12 food & beverage, too.
Vouchers for future travel or food vouchers to be used on a future trip is BS. If Something happens on a given trip, any mitigation should apply to that trip, not a future trip.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Mats
The problem is that the flight attendant or pilots could get out handcuffs and argue that you're "interfering" and it's a Federal offense. In this case, you need the other passengers to know this too. All of the passengers need to be on the same page as you are.
It would not be wise for a crew of three (likely 2+ female in this case) to initiate a physical confrontation within the confines of an E145. If they tried that with me because I was making phone calls, I could almost guarantee how it would turn out, and it wouldn't be pretty.

If they have something to fear because you're calling 911, law enforcement, Continental, etc., that's all the more reason to call them.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:01 pm

Programs: CO/DL
I have not read all the posts in this thread but if you really want to see intresting comments about the flight deck crew go over to the Express Jet pilot forums.

It will be intresting to see who ends up getting the blame for this mess, usually the pilot ends up getting it, be it right or wrong.

One ***** that TSA had nothing to do with it appears

Last edited by Cholula; Aug 11, 2009 at 8:35 am Reason: Subverting the profanity filter
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by RoadVeteran
I have not read all the posts in this thread but if you really want to see intresting comments about the flight deck crew go over to the Express Jet pilot forums.

It will be intresting to see who ends up getting the blame for this mess, usually the pilot ends up getting it, be it right or wrong.

One ****** that TSA had nothing to do with it appears
Link?

Last edited by Cholula; Aug 11, 2009 at 8:36 am Reason: Edited quoted post
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:16 am

Programs: CO/DL
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Link?

My apoligies

http://www.expressjetpilots.com/the-...ad.php?t=32812
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Vouchers for future travel or food vouchers to be used on a future trip is BS. If Something happens on a given trip, any mitigation should apply to that trip, not a future trip.
Indeed. I remember what happened our flight has been delayed for 8 hours due to mechanical problems on HA flight out of HNL-PHX. HA has offer gave everyone travel voucher for future trip is $200 and $12 for food & beverage, too. We have to take overnightr on the plane out of HNL-PHX is arrived before 8am. We are accepted apologizes for cause any inconvenience.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:47 am

During the debates about passenger rights I recall a comment that prisoners have more rights than airline passengers. This being the case, the passengers would have been well advised to insist on being incarcerted for the night. The accommodations would have certainly been more humane, what with room to walk, working bathroom facilities, potable water, etc. Let the local municipality bear the cost of the passengers stay and potential legal costs.

I didn't read every post, but did the original crew leave the plane, and if so was this after security left for the day?
Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RoadVeteran

One ****** that TSA had nothing to do with it appears
He's the Captain, he's in charge. Everything is his fault, by definition. No different than a ship at sea.

Another thing to point out with babies on board: TSOs drunk on authority get to decide how much is a "reasonable" amount of formula and baby food to take past the checkpoint. None of them seem to realize that events like these occur.

Last edited by Cholula; Aug 11, 2009 at 8:37 am Reason: Edited quoted post
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:31 am

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
I like the one pilot's idea of dropping them off at Signature. THAT would have been a bit pricey, but it might encourage better contingency plans. I can't understand why nobody would service the lavs, though.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:04 am

This airport director is not worth his pay check!! When one accepts a diverted plane to your airport then your airport is also responsible for those passengers.

I bet Continental won't be considering your airport for anything in the near future either.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by moeve
This airport director is not worth his pay check!! When one accepts a diverted plane to your airport then your airport is also responsible for those passengers.

I bet Continental won't be considering your airport for anything in the near future either.
Some of the comments from people in the Rochester, Mn area are telling. Looks like this is the responsibility of Continental Airlines.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by moeve

Diversions are based very much on where there is a runway available and less so on other things like ground services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.