Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

FAM Fired for Revealing Info Deemed “Sensitive” After He Revealed It

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAM Fired for Revealing Info Deemed “Sensitive” After He Revealed It

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Bart
Only in your mind, pal.

MacLean violated government policy when he went to the news media. He signed a form and swore an oath to not disclose information without the proper authorization, and he broke his end of the deal. There's a price to pay for that, and he's paying it.

Were there other avenues MacLean could have used to blow the whistle and still keep his job? Yes. The issue is not the substance of what he disclosed but the manner he chose to disclose it. He had the ability to still bring that information to the attention of the proper authorities and receive whistle-blower protection. All of that goes out the window when a person goes to an unauthorized agent.

I support his actions. I think he did what he had to do, and I wish him the best of luck.
I agree with you completely, up until the two last lines. I don't disagree with them, I'm just not clear on what you're saying.

I feel for the guy. I think his motives were good. I don't understand why he didn't follow proper channels - he had to have known the risks he was taking by going the route he did.

I'm assuming (dangerous) that you support his commitment and his sincere attempt to call attention to a problem, not the 'illegal' actions he took. I don't understand 'did what he had to do'.

Do you think if he had followed proper channels that the outcome would have been the same (not his personal outcome, I mean keeping FAMs on longhauls)?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:56 am

Were there other avenues MacLean could have used to blow the whistle and still keep his job? Yes. The issue is not the substance of what he disclosed but the manner he chose to disclose it. He had the ability to still bring that information to the attention of the proper authorities and receive whistle-blower protection. All of that goes out the window when a person goes to an unauthorized agent.
Bart, I'm amazed that you believe any federal employee has real whistle-blowing protection.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chollie
I agree with you completely, up until the two last lines. I don't disagree with them, I'm just not clear on what you're saying.

I feel for the guy. I think his motives were good. I don't understand why he didn't follow proper channels - he had to have known the risks he was taking by going the route he did.

I'm assuming (dangerous) that you support his commitment and his sincere attempt to call attention to a problem, not the 'illegal' actions he took. I don't understand 'did what he had to do'.

Do you think if he had followed proper channels that the outcome would have been the same (not his personal outcome, I mean keeping FAMs on longhauls)?
I support his decision to bring it to someone's attention. I don't know what would have happened had he followed proper channels. I'd like to think that it would have resulted in an internal investigation.

I personally would not go to the news media.

However, I support MacLean's motivation to call attention to the issue. He knew the consequences and went ahead with his actions. I hope it was worth it, and I somehow feel that it was, for him. I'd take a different route.

I would have a different view if he was to cry and bellyache "poor me, poor, poor, pitiful me." Instead, he's facing it head on. I respect that.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
Bart, I'm amazed that you believe any federal employee has real whistle-blowing protection.
Please point out where I said that.

Old Aug 6, 2011, 12:52 pm
In Memoriam

Only in your mind, pal.

MacLean violated government policy when he went to the news media. He signed a form and swore an oath to not disclose information without the proper authorization, and he broke his end of the deal. There's a price to pay for that, and he's paying it.

I support his actions. I think he did what he had to do, and I wish him the best of luck.
From the CNN account:

The board notes that MacLean raised his concerns with his supervisor and with the agency's inspector general's office and was not satisfied with the response he received. But MacLean did not take his complaint to an authorized committee of Congress, nor to the Office of Special Counsel, and thereby was not entitled to whistle-blower protection, the board ruled.

So he went to his supervisor, and the IG, and was shot down. Did he know he was supposed to go to Congress? Could he really have, and expected protection, when TSA/DHS has defied Congress and refused to release information to Congress, as SSI? Is there a hierarchy of reporting laid out in your employee manual, or posted on your official work bulletin board?

I as well as several Congressman think he was in the right.

And when are you going to figure out I'm not your pal?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

Last edited by chollie; Aug 6, 2011 at 1:50 pm Reason: never mind
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MaximumSisu
Helps to explain why our resident TSO's toe the line for their employer. TSA can do anything wrong they want --- but don't tell anybody about it.
Why? He had it right to bring it back his old job again. He didn't do it anything wrong. He absolutely no reason why he termination from his job. He will find something else. He won't be accept work for air Marshals for the life. He could be violated from TSA and he doesn't have a choice. That mean TSA will have a final decision.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by MaximumSisu
From the CNN account:

From CNN article:

The board notes that MacLean raised his concerns with his supervisor and with the agency's inspector general's office and was not satisfied with the response he received. But MacLean did not take his complaint to an authorized committee of Congress, nor to the Office of Special Counsel, and thereby was not entitled to whistle-blower protection, the board ruled.
So he went to his supervisor, and the IG, and was shot down. Did he know he was supposed to go to Congress? Could he really have, and expected protection, when TSA/DHS has defied Congress and refused to release information to Congress, as SSI? Is there a hierarchy of reporting laid out in your employee manual, or posted on your official work bulletin board?

I as well as several Congressman think he was in the right.
From the New York Times:

"This is a shocking statement that acknowledges that [President Barack Obama] would be willing to give an order preventing employee whistle-blowers from making disclosures to Congress," [U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley (IA)] wrote. "I do not see how this statement can be reconciled with your campaign promise to protect whistle-blowers. In fact, it is even more egregious than simply breaking a promise, because it actually restricts current and previously existing whistle-blower protections."
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/17/us...17signing.html
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:25 pm

Please point out where I said that.

Well, you said "He had the ability to still bring that information to the attention of the proper authorities and receive whistle-blower protection." If you're going to suggest that was a real option, you must believe federal employees have real protection.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
Well, you said "He had the ability to still bring that information to the attention of the proper authorities and receive whistle-blower protection." If you're going to suggest that was a real option, you must believe federal employees have real protection.
So you're a mind reader, too, eh?

I don't know what I would do in a situation like that. I know what policy is, and I clearly understand the consequences of violating policy.

I guess I'll decide when the moment occurs, if it occurs. The one thing I do know is that he faced a REAL situation that required a REAL decision. In that regard, I respect him.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:29 am

Interesting comment posted under the CNN article:

If you read the Wikipedia (tag: "Robert_MacLean") entry on this, MacLean made his disclosure almost A WEEK BEFORE the plan would go into effect -- it never did because of his actions. The plan would have air marshals missing for TWO MONTHS from long flights. Given the dress code and boarding procedures in effect at the time, wouldn't we expect an airline employee to notice air marshals missing and leak the fact -- already in operation -- to the media, and then the danger would be imminent? Imagine the cluster of rescheduling air marshals back onto major flights and bumping passengers out of their seats.
Begs the question: Could we trust the gate agents, flight attendants, pilots, TSA screeners, and air marshals' significant others to keep this operation under wraps for two whole months??? Did MacLean prevent the inevitable?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 3:03 pm

IDK, I've known 2 or 3 who tried congressmen... none of whom cared what a TSO had to say.... All I know about that is the issues were never resolved, and they found proving retaliation to be harder than proving what they reported on. Not sure what they're doing now.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:06 am

Fact of the matter is, is that the TSA is here to protect us, against people who wish to do the US Population harm. Sometimes, those bad apples surface such as in this case. Its a good thing DHS expelled this person. Last thing we need is some wack job thinking he knows whats best four our country.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Couldn't have had happened to a better person.

Bob is a true nut case. He's been booted from several LEO/Military Special Operations for going crazy with his ranting posts......and has checked my linkedin page several times as he continues to stalk me for some unknown reason......
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Saitek
Fact of the matter is, is that the TSA is here to protect us, against people who wish to do the US Population harm. .
Of course there has never been a government organization in history, in any country that has claimed otherwise.

Take a look at the most vile, abusive regimes in history and they make the same exact claims as an excuse against their abuses of innocent people. Furthermore, they employ the same type of people. People who follow orders at all cost despite the harm they are doing. Either because they enjoy the harm, or they assuage their weak minds by falling back on "orders" and "standard procedures".

TSA may be here to protect us, but they are doing far more harm and have in fact, become an effect tool of the terrorist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.