Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

FAM Fired for Revealing Info Deemed “Sensitive” After He Revealed It

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAM Fired for Revealing Info Deemed “Sensitive” After He Revealed It

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:36 am

TSA "moved on?"

Originally Posted by bbc1969
...but the service has moved on, improvements have/continue to be made, and is nothing like it was back in the Quinn era.
If the TSA or the FAMS has "moved on," why are they still prosecuting someone whose disclosures were valid and had Thomas D. Quinn's inane policies revised?

Obviously they have not "moved on" and still hold a grudge against those who drowned them in egg...
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:03 am

Poll vote

This morning's story with a poll:

http://bit.ly/3qxm3S
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA, SWA, HA, Qantas
Originally Posted by willpolice4food
If the TSA or the FAMS has "moved on," why are they still prosecuting someone whose disclosures were valid and had Thomas D. Quinn's inane policies revised?

Obviously they have not "moved on" and still hold a grudge against those who drowned them in egg...

Several good people were screwed with and were forced out/ and or moved on of their own accord during those years. Some of them have/are fighting what was unjust. But I don't see them in/using the media. They are doing what they need to do, but keeping a low profile. I also feel some folks who put on the public face of being the "hero", who was looking out for his fellow employee's and public interest, were not entirely genuine and were also interested in doing what they did because it served "their" purpose.

This of course is just my opinion. If the guy gets his job back-good for him. But when he gets back into the office, I think he will find that things are not perfect (with plenty of room to improve) but still much improved over the "Quinn years". The rank and file employee does want continued improvement on several issues, what they don't want is self serving "s**t stirring.

Last edited by bbc1969; Nov 19, 2009 at 5:50 pm
Old Nov 21, 2009, 9:33 am

Programs: UA MM
There should be two kinds of government information: Classified and Unclassified. Information that is so damaging that its release would cause great harm can and should be classified. Just about everything else should be freely releasable. (The small exceptions being obvious things like personal financial or contact details, credit card numbers, etc.)

All of these b•llsh•t information designations that were born or flourished post-2001, like "SSI" and "FOUO" (for official use only), are arbitrary and should be clearly deemed legally meaningless.

So unless the dude spilled classified information, which clearly he did not, then the government has zero case against him.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by bbc1969
The rank and file employee does want continued improvement on several issues, what they don't want is self serving "s**t stirring.
I think it is safe to say that both Maclean and the TSA want nothing more to do with each other. If he were to come back, the situation would obviously be an explosive one: He would be a walking target and/or TSA managers would be tip-toeing on egg shells around him constantly. Given the fact his face has been blasted around the planet -- other air marshals won't want to fly with him.

I doubt he will win in this joke of a venue (Merit Systems Protection Board), but if he does, he needs to go someplace that everyone is content with.

Reading the pleadings, it is apparent that even the official (Frank Donzanti) ordered to fire Maclean is having second thoughts. This case should have been settled years ago, but the Bush appointees in TSA headquarters -- who do not have to face the public and have jobs waiting at places like the Heritage Foundation or the Federalist Society -- stirred this "sh*t-pot" into a national debate, and dumped this mess on career employees forced to clean it. This case will give lawmakers and Obama reason to pass the new whistleblower protection bill that will overload our district courts. Everyone knows what happened when the EEO law got passed: Someone cries "discrimination" now and gets an instant settlement.

TSA has only itself to blame for this case going from a blip on a radar screen to forcing unneeded major legislation down our throats.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:09 am

DELETED due to being re-posted

Last edited by willpolice4food; Nov 22, 2009 at 10:10 am Reason: DELETED due to being re-posted
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by perezoso
So unless the dude spilled classified information, which clearly he did not, then the government has zero case against him.
The TSA NEVER had a case against him. Like a poster wrote in the comments section: If Maclean had a jury of his peers, this case would have been over with. Instead he is faced with the Merit Systems Protection Board, a tribunal with at-will administrative judges designated to protect the bureaucracies that keep them employed. There's a reason why federal district court judges are appointed for life and preside over jury trials.

The TSA is only fighting this thing to the bitter end because they have a very good chance of winning in this "Kangaroo Court."
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:27 am

84%

84% favor his reinstatement.

I just read Maclean's pleading: Despite Director Thomas Quinn swearing in his deposition that he never made a decision, LA Deputy Special Agent in Charge Frank Donzanti testified that Maclean forced everyone to rewrite schedules because new schedules were issued after a decision was already made. Seems Donzanti and Quinn forgot to get their stories straight...

No matter what is the outcome is of the judge's decision, the TSA has left a nice steaming turd for Erroll Southers to deal with early in his tenure. I'm sure he just loves the distraction.

I think he loses, then the media and congress dog-piles on TSA and DHS to no end. The public HATES the TSA, the TSA and the IRS compete annually for "Most Hated Federal Agency," and since everyone is broke or not making money, the TSA moves into 1st place.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:13 am

Orange County Register: "Fired federal air marshal should get his job back"

Orange County Register: "Fired federal air marshal should get his job back"

http://bit.ly/4z3Gnh
Old May 28, 2010, 1:20 am

Recent Opinion Piece on the MacLean Termination

Here is the link:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/op...-94274109.html
Old May 28, 2010, 1:37 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QUERY
Citizen Kang-- 139 - 0. That says something Perhaps most appeals to the MSRB are meritless-- no pun intended-- but you'd think in 139 cases, at least one would end in favor of the employee.

The numbers create a bad appearance.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:51 am

KANG - aroo Kourt

A true Franklin M. KANG -aroo Kourt:

"Turns out that judge – Franklin M. Kang – has ruled for federal agencies, and against MacLean types, for two years straight – 139-0"
"Despite MacLean providing the internal affairs investigators with more information than they initially sought in 2005, and agreeing to a voluntary polygraph examination which the investigators no longer considered necessary, regional administrative judge Franklin Kang wrote that MacLean was 'evasive, nuanced, and inconsistent' in his hearing that occurred more than six years after his July 2003 disclosure. Not the Department of Justice lawyers, U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals judges, MSPB Member Mary Rose, nor former MSPB Chairman Neil McPhie ever challenged MacLean’s credibility in their fillings."
http://taxdollars.freedomblogging.co...ers-say/57531/
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:50 am

CNN: Fired air marshal loses battle in job fight

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/05/air.marshal.fired/

Last edited by willpolice4food; Aug 6, 2011 at 9:03 am
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:52 am
In Memoriam

Helps to explain why our resident TSO's toe the line for their employer. TSA can do anything wrong they want --- but don't tell anybody about it.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MaximumSisu
Helps to explain why our resident TSO's toe the line for their employer. TSA can do anything wrong they want --- but don't tell anybody about it.
Only in your mind, pal.

MacLean violated government policy when he went to the news media. He signed a form and swore an oath to not disclose information without the proper authorization, and he broke his end of the deal. There's a price to pay for that, and he's paying it.

Were there other avenues MacLean could have used to blow the whistle and still keep his job? Yes. The issue is not the substance of what he disclosed but the manner he chose to disclose it. He had the ability to still bring that information to the attention of the proper authorities and receive whistle-blower protection. All of that goes out the window when a person goes to an unauthorized agent.

I support his actions. I think he did what he had to do, and I wish him the best of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.