Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:32 pm
CDF

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold
Gate checks are back in DTW - at least they were on Sunday 3/1. I was on NW flight 262 DTW - PHX and saw TSA screeners around the gate area and figured that they were going to do gate checks. It didn't help that I was number 6 in boarding for FC - lucky me won the gate raffle to be selected. Funny thing was that they just asked to see my laptop bag - opened it to check if a computer was inside and sent me on my way. I was actually surprised that the whole process took about 5 seconds and the glance in my bag was cursory. I'm really not sure what the intended results of random gate checks are if things are just being given a quick once-over. While I was glad it only took a few seconds it was sort of frustrating since it didn't really seem to accomplish anything.

I really hope gate checks are not coming back as it seems I must fit some profile to be selected. Back when searching bags at the gates was in full swing I could usually count on being pulled aside about 75% of the time I flew (I fly every week for business). I agree with some of the comments posted earlier in that if you don't trust the people up front to do their jobs then fix the problems up front.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:37 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Every time, every instance. Complain. It's the only way this crap is going to go away.

TSA Complaint Line 1-866-289-2673
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
do they actually say that on your bp? i would think that info like that should be kept off of a bp (and especially if a fam). now just curious, why didn't you badge them or were you messing with them on purpose?
I am not a FAM. I am a Fed LEO and was on Gov travel. Since I was not a FAM, I identified myself with my creds at the ticket counter and informed them I was flying armed, they said fine and kicked out a BP that had Armed LEO printed on it. This was shortly after 9/11. I don't know how they do it now. Since TSA was incepted, I find flying the airlines a nasty experience.

But I digress, so then I go to the gates and all I did was wave my boarding pass at them before going up the escalator to security screening. Then I totally bypassed security and signed in with the local PD Dept and then went to my gate. Ordinarily, they preboarded me so the Capt could have me introduce myself to him and let him know where I was seated. But on this trip, TSA did a gate blitz and I was nabbed for searching. I never badge anyone, not even the local law if I was speeding. The head cheese at the gate asked for and got my boarding pass. I can't help it if he can't read. I fully expected him to see the caveat on it and wave me away. So he pats me down, I am clean there, unzips my laptop bag that has a special compartment for my Sig P229 .40 and two spare magazines. His eyes popped when he saw the grip staring at him and calls his sup who gets on his radio for the local law. The screener smirks when he asks me if I know whats wrong. I said there was nothing wrong and added that he better look at my BP very closely. He did and turned bright red. The sup looked at where the screener pointed and he did the opposite, the blood drained out of his face.

I asked pleasantly if we were done here and he mutely hands my bag over avoiding my eyes. I then boarded.

So in a way, I was messing with them since they had reading comprehension problems.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Everyone had ID checked before getting on our CLE-CLT flight this morning.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by Spiff
Every time, every instance. Complain. It's the only way this crap is going to go away.

TSA Complaint Line 1-866-289-2673
on speed dial.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:33 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Centurion210
they had reading comprehension problems.
Not surprising
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Rather than have two active threads on the apparent re-emergence of TSA gate searches, we are the merging the threads.

Thanks.

Cholula
Travel Safety/Security Forum Co-Moderator
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:50 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I am not a FAM. I am a Fed LEO and was on Gov travel. Since I was not a FAM, I identified myself with my creds at the ticket counter and informed them I was flying armed, they said fine and kicked out a BP that had Armed LEO printed on it. This was shortly after 9/11. I don't know how they do it now. Since TSA was incepted, I find flying the airlines a nasty experience.

But I digress, so then I go to the gates and all I did was wave my boarding pass at them before going up the escalator to security screening. Then I totally bypassed security and signed in with the local PD Dept and then went to my gate. Ordinarily, they preboarded me so the Capt could have me introduce myself to him and let him know where I was seated. But on this trip, TSA did a gate blitz and I was nabbed for searching. I never badge anyone, not even the local law if I was speeding. The head cheese at the gate asked for and got my boarding pass. I can't help it if he can't read. I fully expected him to see the caveat on it and wave me away. So he pats me down, I am clean there, unzips my laptop bag that has a special compartment for my Sig P229 .40 and two spare magazines. His eyes popped when he saw the grip staring at him and calls his sup who gets on his radio for the local law. The screener smirks when he asks me if I know whats wrong. I said there was nothing wrong and added that he better look at my BP very closely. He did and turned bright red. The sup looked at where the screener pointed and he did the opposite, the blood drained out of his face.

I asked pleasantly if we were done here and he mutely hands my bag over avoiding my eyes. I then boarded.

So in a way, I was messing with them since they had reading comprehension problems.
oh, man i loved you post ^. let's see "armed leo" spells "cat" right? and stupid is as stupid does, (and these are the folks keeping us safe ) now i think it would have been better if you were actually wearing it.....

well done and thanks for sharing ^
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Why didn't you just refuse to show ID and pass them? They have no legal authority to stop you, and since you already completed the screening, you're under no obligation to be searched. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Everyone had ID checked before getting on our CLE-CLT flight this morning.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
File a complaint. Every time you see it, every time you experience it, every time you even hear of it. Call. Complain. Let the complaints pour in until this disgusting practice is terminated, and those cretins responsible for it punted through the doors to the curb.

TSA Complaint Line: 1-866-289-9673
Just called my complaint in.
From the phone agent, "Gee, that's messed up."
^^^^
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:19 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

My question:

Has anyone experienced or seen anything confiscated by the TSA during these gate checks? If someone bought a liter of water at a store inside security, will they let you pass? Or if you have a ketchup packet or two, is that okay?

This agency really does suck.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:33 pm

Buying water inside security is OK because its gone through the "water now becomes safe" machine on the way in...
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:21 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by PHLflying
Buying water inside security is OK because its gone through the "water now becomes safe" machine on the way in...
Is that like the "food-a-rac-a-cycle" from the Jetsons?

WAIT A MINUTE! I just got an idea! Perhaps we could better describe the TSA sreeners we meet using cartoon characters! I have run into a TON of Fred Flintstones at the X-rays, a bunch of Schlep-rocks at the WTMDs. The supervsors think they're Top Cat, and the guy who becomes threatening (as threatening as these mopes can get) and says "Do you want to fly today?" is Hong Kong Phooey!!

The guy who made a reall half-hearted effort at looking at my computer bag at the gate was surely Boo-boo. Whoever comes up with stuff like the liquid ban is Wile E. Coyote with yet another invention that won't work. And aren't their tin badges from the Acme Badge Company?

Then there was the large, sweaty, odor-enhanced guy at EWR Terminal A (aka "the dumpster") that was definitely Pepe Le Peu!

--PP
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I feel so much safer now that I know that TSA can protect me from our own federal agents. Incredible.

Why do I think I would feel safer with your agency in charge of airport protection, rather than TSA? THIS is why we need professional LEOs like yourself handling security, and not these amateur Dick Tracy wannabes.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andy1369
Why didn't you just refuse to show ID and pass them?
I can't answer for Centurion, but I'm going to guess because he is a professional and is more concerned with maintaining security and order than showing up the TSA clowns, no matter how tempting it may be.

They have no legal authority to stop you, and since you already completed the screening, you're under no obligation to be searched. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't think you're correct. I haven't studied this in detail, but the impression I've gotten is that inspection at the WTMD is considered a voluntary-consent search, but the cases that so held them to be such do not extend to so-called "random" searches at the gate. The reason I say, "so-called random" is because I don't think they are. I think a good argument can be made that these additional searches are subject to the same restrictions as govern highway DUI checkpoints and the like, i.e. they must be announced and they must be truly random -- as long as they take the first non-elite pax each time, they're not non-random.

One of these days, when I'm not in a hurry, I just might test this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.