Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by apodo77
I am assuming he is calling the TSA agents mall cops.
I actually feel like mall cops are a level (or more?) above TSA agents.

They certainly have more competent mgmt.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:04 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Flight was to MCO.
I sure hope they searched and swabbed under every single baby stroller!

AND . . . . inside every diaper bag!!!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Flight was to MCO.
Someone was reported to be targeting Mickey Mouse so they went all out. If you're a pilot you'd understand the humor. Disney requested a huge prohibited airspace over their property, supposedly in name of security. However it was clear they just wanted to be able to have no competition for offering helicopter flights over Disney and to be able to charge for aerial photos.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If it was actually TSA agents then something g triggered them to do a gate inspection. They do have the power to require it, but usually only happens if there's something or someone on the flight that requires it.
Not true.

Ie a bomb threat called in on a flight.
Also not true. If a bomb threat is called in, it results in a whole different kind of response than a few additional blue shirts checking IDs at the gate.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by javabytes
Not true.

Also not true. If a bomb threat is called in, it results in a whole different kind of response than a few additional blue shirts checking IDs at the gate.
Yes they can require a plane of passenger be rescreened.

Also if you read what I wrote, I clearly spelled out that more then I'D checks would be done in that case.

The point is that if a reason arises they can indeed require gate screening. It's not the norm like it wad, but rather the exception. However exceptions still can happen.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Yes they can require a plane of passenger be rescreened.

Also if you read what I wrote, I clearly spelled out that more then I'D checks would be done in that case.

The point is that if a reason arises they can indeed require gate screening. It's not the norm like it wad, but rather the exception. However exceptions still can happen.
My point is they don't need to do it in response to anything specific. They do it as part of their routine time/money wasting security theater and call it "unpredictable".
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

My point is they don't need to do it in response to anything specific. They do it as part of their routine time/money wasting security theater and call it "unpredictable".
If it was random, it'd happen more frequently then it does. As few times as it happens I have a hard time seeing it being random. Most airports haven't having a gate screening in years seems to support its only based on need.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it was random, it'd happen more frequently then it does. As few times as it happens I have a hard time seeing it being random. Most airports haven't having a gate screening in years seems to support its only based on need.
TSA knows no bounds in its quest to waste taxpayer $$$. On my last trip out of ORD, there were six TSOs walking the perimeter of the economy parking lot which is an island all by itself, and in no way connected to the airfield.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I would have asked them why they didn't think the initial screening at the security check point was good enough. They must not trust their coworkers to do it right the first time. The TSA disgusts me.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
We are getting close to an election - maybe some notable with a mouth for
bringing out the best in civil decorum is on a hit target list.
Nothing to worry about here folks - these are not the droids you were looking
for but Mr. Phelps has a mission for the keystone (mall) cops in collusion with
the SS (Secret Service) to pacify this so called non-event and render it mute !
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:36 am

TSA knows no bounds in its quest to waste taxpayer $$$. On my last trip out of ORD, there were six TSOs walking the perimeter of the economy parking lot which is an island all by itself, and in no way connected to the airfield.
Maybe they take walks during their breaks for exercise?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:22 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I would have asked them why they didn't think the initial screening at the security check point was good enough. They must not trust their coworkers to do it right the first time. The TSA disgusts me.
please try that the next time this happens and report back with your results
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Where was the flight going to? Since it was rent a cops, this sounds more like a case of that particular flight needing security by law. TSA would be doing the screening of it was a TSA issue.

Ie at JFK before boarding a flight to TLV everyone must go through a 2nd screening at the gate. This is due to Israeli aviation law.

If it was actually TSA agents then something g triggered them to do a gate inspection. They do have the power to require it, but usually only happens if there's something or someone on the flight that requires it. Ie a bomb threat called in on a flight. Once the luggage and plane is checked, they may require passengers on the flight to do security again at the gate.
The flight left out of the A concourse in ATL, 99.9999999999% chance it was domestic.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
====WARNING===== TSA RANT AHEAD

(Can someone edit the title, it was just supposed to say "They're" stupid auto-correct
Just go to edit and then press the "go advanced" button (EDIT: as pointed out below, this only allows you to edit the title of your post, not the thread title...my mistake).

Last edited by Low Roller; Sep 6, 2016 at 6:22 am
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Low Roller
Just go to edit and then press the "go advanced" button. That will allow you to edit the title (just learned that last night )
I thought only mods could edit thread titles on FT.

You can edit optional titles that appear at the top of your own posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.