Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 8:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thanks for the comments...we had been traveling for nearly 24 hours straight with no sleep. Any deviance, in our state of tiredness, was enough to set off a bit of " why me ?"
Old May 10, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Just TSA pretending to be something useful. I mean really what does it accomplish other than catch reselling of tickets.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Moderators: please thinking about changing "causeway" to "jetway" -- thanks!
Old May 10, 2014, 12:03 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
no big thing here. As mentioned they still do random checks at gates now and then. Not as much as they did right after 911 but they still do it once and a while
Old May 10, 2014, 6:53 pm

Stopped on the causeway by TSA in SFO

I've seen CBP, TSA, and local police doing jetway checks. Sometimes it appears random, sometimes it appears based on the visual appearance of the traveller, and once it was pretty obvious that the GA signaled to them. In that case, I later overheard the GA telling the lead FA that some pax luggage was to be offloaded because they had been arrested. I assume it was someone with a warrant who was caught trying to leave the country.

That said, both of the things the OP experienced are fairly common, so probably just (bad) luck they happened together. The search for "food" is actually looking for food -- especially meat -- and other agricultural products. Somehow this helps keep mad cow, hoof and mouth, etc out of the US.
Old May 11, 2014, 9:57 am

30 year FA here....yes, I think you were definitely targeted after your secondary screening. They must have had some doubts to your itinerary and were making sure you were boarding the flight you said that you were. It's rare to see TSA agents out at the gate doing secondary screening...even rarer to stop someone in the loading bridge. If you didn't notice them questioning anyone else then it's likely they were waiting just for you. Why they do this no one knows...maybe you had a bead of sweat on your forehead during your initial screening. After that long of journey I'd be a bowl of jello and would have likely triggered something as well!
Old May 11, 2014, 10:29 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by HiFlyerAS
30 year FA here....yes, I think you were definitely targeted after your secondary screening. They must have had some doubts to your itinerary and were making sure you were boarding the flight you said that you were. It's rare to see TSA agents out at the gate doing secondary screening...even rarer to stop someone in the loading bridge. If you didn't notice them questioning anyone else then it's likely they were waiting just for you. Why they do this no one knows...maybe you had a bead of sweat on your forehead during your initial screening. After that long of journey I'd be a bowl of jello and would have likely triggered something as well!
just walk past them with the "Im bored, tired, and annoyed that everybody is moving like turtles" frequent flyer demeanor and your all good to go

But what I want to know with your theory is if the agents were in the jetway how did they know what 2 passengers they were looking for? Were they carrying around mug shots?

Question to the OP, Did you hear any strange beeps from the boarding gate scanner when the GA scanned your passes? Like the dreadful beep you hear when youve just been downgraded from F to Y because of an A/C swap? Or the sound that happens if the BP is scanned twice

Last edited by ANC; May 11, 2014 at 10:35 am
Old May 11, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
just walk past them with the "Im bored, tired, and annoyed that everybody is moving like turtles" frequent flyer demeanor and your all good to go

But what I want to know with your theory is if the agents were in the jetway how did they know what 2 passengers they were looking for? Were they carrying around mug shots?

Question to the OP, Did you hear any strange beeps from the boarding gate scanner when the GA scanned your passes? Like the dreadful beep you hear when youve just been downgraded from F to Y because of an A/C swap? Or the sound that happens if the BP is scanned twice
We were trying to recall if there was anything unusual about our boarding pass check at the gate...we were so tired ( having just come off a 11 hour flight from CDG) We couldn't recall.*** And if the gate agent somehow signaled the TSA agents that " this was them".

*** actually when I do think about it something happened when he scanned our boarding pass because I remember looking over at the screen as did he.....
Old May 11, 2014, 12:46 pm

FWIW though...we both got TSA prechk boarding passes and flew through our initial screening ...so they must not have been that suspicious.

We also have global entry although we did not use it since there was no one in line at immigration when we arrived at SFO. That may have been our initial mistake.

Last edited by david55; May 11, 2014 at 2:10 pm
Old May 11, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Moderators: please thinking about changing "causeway" to "jetway" -- thanks!
Using the button usually results in a faster fix than a post in the thread that I may miss.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANC
It doesnt always work. Last time they followed me down the jetway.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:38 am

We were stopped on the jetway in SFO by two TSA in blue gloves and asked for BP and ID Friday afternoon. This was SFO-SEA...the last leg of a return from Athens.

What made it suspicious to me was that we had also been stopped in customs for a secondary screening ( They kept asking if we had any food) and although I was really tired and out of it...both my husband and I felt that the TSA were actually waiting for us on the jetway since we did not see them stop anyone else.

We have global entry ( which we did not use this time because there were no lines) and had a TSAprechk on our boarding passes for this segment.
Old May 12, 2014, 9:23 am

They probably had photos taken when you were in customs. We're all being watched, ya know... In Seattle, police cars are constantly scanning license plates of cars as they drive around town, looking for bad guys. In my neighborhood they have scanners to estimate drive times to different parts of the city and they use license plate recognition to do it. Cameras are installed in busy neighborhoods but so far they've been supposedly kept turned off. No where to hide I'm afraid. ;-)
Old May 12, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They probably had photos taken when you were in customs.
Dobut it. Last time they were only stopping people with backpacks. Another day it was every one with a roller. One day it was only females and one day only males. IAH always seems to be a big airport where they like to do gate checks.
Old May 12, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
I've got stopped 2 times more than once over the last few years. Going through security (random check) and at the gate random check again. I think last fall I just started laughing and said let's do it again. It was a female that did the checking and she had a good sense of humor when I said just did this 45 minutes ago. She did say I could wait for a male who was checking someone else and I told her no were loading and I want a drink. lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.