Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2013, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeef
Most FTers are, too. Well, we're just too cheap to pay for it, anyway.

Mike
I do consider YQ on awards 'paying for it' (and at times, there are no other choices.)
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
This morning TYS - ORD @ 7:05 am...2 smurfs & 1 COW for bag swabs
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:00 pm

This happened to me at FLL today out of Terminal 3 on a flight to DCA. When they said they needed to search my bag, I asked if something was missed at the checkpoint. When I took pictures, the TSA person got snippy and asked if I wanted a clearer shot of her badge. I said I didn't care who she was, since the illegal searches originate with her bosses. Below are a pic from just before boarding started and a pic of the violation of my rights. There were a couple of other TSA employees standing talking a few gates away, including a three-striper.

The second one is unfortunately blurry because my hands were shaking in outrage.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Years ago, in college, both of my German language professors (husband and wife) lived in Nazi Germany for the entire horror. They told us that they obeyed everything they were told to do - even if stupid - without question, because to do otherwise would have them noted as suspicious or worse. At that time, we were shocked and said that could never happen here with a free people under a Constitution. Boy, were we wrong!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by ND Sol
GrumpyYoungMan, welcome to FlyerTalk. Nice handle!
Thank you! I've been lurking since I started flying frequently last June, finally decided to register.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:21 pm

Encountered TSA performing random gate screenings just inside the jet bridge in MDW on 1/24/14. This was on Southwest, and the passenger(s) pulled aside for screening lost their place in line.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:07 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I get stopped every. freaking. time.

At LAX Monday night, GA announced "random" TSA checks and asked all pax to have their IDs out and ready. I refused.

Of course, the TSA person, despite seeing my hands completely full, yelled for me to stop and come back and show ID. At the freaking gate.

I told her how useless and worthless the ID checks were. Her response? "But they're not worthless to me."

At least I wasn't getting the full bag dump and grope-down that other pax were getting. The TSA had a full complement of goons on hand.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:04 pm

I have found that if you mill around the gate, they will pick you and harass you, especially if you look different in any way. I stay away from the jetway until they have a few people in their clutches before I approach the area. I do not intend to provoke them or martyr myself to prove a point. The only way to address this is by writing to your congressmen, calling them, and asking them to contact their colleagues on the Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which does have authority over the TSA, despite Pistole's claims to the contrary. We still do live in a democratic, representative republic, but the place to fight these battles is through our vote and free speech, not in an airport with a low-level employee, who would like nothing more than to make your day miserable.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:56 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerslc
I have found that if you mill around the gate, they will pick you and harass you, especially if you look different in any way. I stay away from the jetway until they have a few people in their clutches before I approach the area. I do not intend to provoke them or martyr myself to prove a point. The only way to address this is by writing to your congressmen, calling them, and asking them to contact their colleagues on the Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which does have authority over the TSA, despite Pistole's claims to the contrary. We still do live in a democratic, representative republic, but the place to fight these battles is through our vote and free speech, not in an airport with a low-level employee, who would like nothing more than to make your day miserable.
[my bold]

Which one is that? I'd like to move there.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
[my bold]

Beat me to it, exactly what I was going to say.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
May the faithful be delivered.

The TSA is an entrenched beast and it's not going to tuck in its tail and go away so easily. The TSA employees may tuck in their tails and flee, as understandably happened when the anti-TSA terrorist was shooting at LAX last year.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:14 am

The only way to address this is by writing to your congressmen, calling them, and asking them to contact their colleagues on the Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which does have authority over the TSA, despite Pistole's claims to the contrary. We still do live in a democratic, representative republic, but the place to fight these battles is through our vote and free speech, not in an airport with a low-level employee, who would like nothing more than to make your day miserable.
I agree that one shouldn't go out their way to be rude to a low level TSA screener who is merely doing what someone higher up tells them to do but expecting anything out of Congress that addresses this is just not reality. We have such a dysfunctional polarized bunch of idiots in Washington and with over half with a personal net worth over 1 million $ and gerrymandered districts that set up virtual kingdoms that make it nearly impossible to just vote anyone but the most corrupt out of office.

And I dare say Congressman Issa who chairs the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is more interested in other things that have little to do with actual reform other than increasing his party's power and decreasing the opposition. Just saying...
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Germany. Amusingly enough.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Germany. Amusingly enough.
As a graduate of the TSA School of Language and Communication is that a country in which I can communicate by talking real loud and slow?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
As a graduate of the TSA School of Language and Communication is that a country in which I can communicate by talking real loud and slow?
Yes, but only with other Americans.

With most Germans, speaking English at a moderate volume and pace will suffice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.