Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

So Much For The Effectiveness Of TSA & SPOT/Woman Nearly Raped At DCA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR

A disgrace.

A strong police presence stands guard outside Terminal A at Reagan National Airport, the scene of a disturbing attack inside a women's bathroom Saturday.

Police sources say the man was hiding in the ladies room and targeted an unsuspecting woman.
OK, so there's street crime in an airport. Not the sharpest criminal.

BUT WAIT! There's this little gem:
Police sources tell FOX 5 news that TSA agents reportedly saw the 19-year-old lurking around the airport most of the day.
Isn't the whole premise of TSA and SPOT to stop, question, turn over to the police who will detain (if necessary) folks that are acting suspiciously? Isn't that the excuse used for detaining the woman with the LEDs in Boston?

Total failure of TSA here. Guess 3.5 ounces of liquid is more dangerous than a suspicious character in the airport.

Good on the FAMs though:
Police sources confirm and say the woman was badly beaten and found partially clothed in side the ladies room. Sources say two air marshals heard the woman's screams and ran in the restroom to help and held the suspect down.
Wait for the spin on THIS one.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
A disgrace.

OK, so there's street crime in an airport. Not the sharpest criminal.

BUT WAIT! There's this little gem:

Isn't the whole premise of TSA and SPOT to stop, question, turn over to the police who will detain (if necessary) folks that are acting suspiciously? Isn't that the excuse used for detaining the woman with the LEDs in Boston?

Total failure of TSA here. Guess 3.5 ounces of liquid is more dangerous than a suspicious character in the airport.

Good on the FAMs though:

Wait for the spin on THIS one.
Does the article state that the TSA didnt report it? Where were the airport cops? Arent they supposed to be patrolling?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:32 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by tsadude1
Does the article state that the TSA didnt report it?
Given that the guy was not stopped before the assault, wouldn't it be even more embarrassing if it had been reported?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:28 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the funding that BDO/SPOT programs get, the taxpayers deserve better.

As far as the FAM's, the woman is lucky they were nearby.

Yet another reason to use the restroom in the RCC.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by ralfp
Given that the guy was not stopped before the assault, wouldn't it be even more embarrassing if it had been reported?
Its not embarrasing for the TSA at all, its the airport police responsibility to patrol the airport. Thats what they are trained for.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:03 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
great, now we won't be able to go potty at the airport....

but in all seriousness....

Its not embarrasing for the TSA at all, its the airport police responsibility to patrol the airport. Thats what they are trained for.
it's embarrassing to all who are on patrol at the airport save the fam's who acted (and major kudos to them ^).

airport leo's are at fault and so is the tsa along with their spotniks. a spotinik is a bdo and their job is to observe which in this case they didn't. afaic, they flunk as do the the airport leo's.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Come on. TSA's had no qualms about harassing people outside the sterile area in the past (like once incident reported here at SMF) and Andy was even questioned by a TSO while he was standing outside DCA (though it's unclear whether it was being SPOTted or whether the TSO in question was flirting with him).

If TSA is known to do that, then why didn't they do something? Or are they just selectively dragnetting?

We always here about TSA reporting stuff as citizens of this nation when they find stuff during a screening. What's so different about this?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:23 pm
Suspended

"Come on" is right. This airport is crawling with BDOs and nobody "spotted" (pun intended) him? Extremely poor reflection on the TSA. Don't try to push the blame to the PD.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I will the original insinuation is a little bit of a stretch, there are a few things you need to understand:

1. Time and time and time and time again, the TSA trumpets anything it does even beyond the "security" checkpoint to make itself look better, and/or relevant.

2. The TSA regularly trumpets ANYTHING a TSAer gets involved in. Including home burglaries, having NOTHING to do with airport "security."

3. TSAer harassing someone waiting for someone in Sacramento. If they can harass people sitting, waiting around for passengers, surely TSA can stop and question someone who has been noticed to be waiting around for hours, right?

Those three cases alone raise the bar, done by the TSA itself, in what the TSA job description is.

Now, consider other things....

- How many times do we hear that we should report any suspicious activity to law enforcement or TSA? Some guy wandering around for hours and hours would seem a little suspicious to me, don't you think?

- As mentioned before, the TSA itself raises the bar on these kinds of things. Stopping home burglaries, finding 6,000 Ex pills.

Classic case of you make your bed, you lie in it.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:45 pm

Hm.

Even assuming that any BDOs actually saw him, if one of them went to go have a chat with him and he refused to talk to him, then... what's supposed to happen at that point?

As so many have pointed out here on FT—and was confirmed by Spotnik himself, from whom I learned a great deal about the SPOT program—refusal to speak to a BDO does not constitute grounds for LEO referral.

So... what's the problem? You're complaining that the presumed BDOs didn't pretend to be LEOs, weren't on power trips, and didn't violate his constitutional rights?

Fair's fair, guys. Look at it objectively.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
So... what's the problem? You're complaining that the presumed BDOs didn't pretend to be LEOs, weren't on power trips, and didn't violate his constitutional rights?

Fair's fair, guys. Look at it objectively.
Does it take special training to report suspicious activity?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:13 pm

No, but assuming it was reported (the last lines of the story are, unfortunately, vague on this point), and then the LEOs went to talk to him... what then?

Hanging around an airport all day might be suspicious, but if the kid just kept his teeth together (or was clever), it's not against the law.

...Right?

I'm just making an observation.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, but assuming it was reported (the last lines of the story are, unfortunately, vague on this point), and then the LEOs went to talk to him... what then?

Hanging around an airport all day might be suspicious, but if the kid just kept his teeth together (or was clever), it's not against the law.

...Right?

I'm just making an observation.
Read my original post in this thread again.

The point I'm making is that the TSA positions itself as this all-encompassing, you can't get anything by us, we're here to save the day, if it weren't for us you'd be dead....agency that lowers itself to irrelevant, shameless plugs for itself all in the name of keeping itself relevant.

Someone at the TSA, people who regularly pull aside people who are not threats to aviation or airport security, should have done something to this legitimate threat at an airport.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:52 pm

And I'm not disagreeing with you. But if it went like this:

Originally Posted by from the #3 thing you cited earlier from another FT thread
Spot: Excuse me, sir.
Me: Yes, can I help you?
Spot (points at computer bag): What kind of bag is that?
Me: Why do you ask? Are you looking to buy one?
Spot: Just asking, that's all. Are you flying today?
Me: Yes. (which was a true statement - just not on an airline, that's all)
Spot: Where to?
Me: Why do you want to know? I don't know you.
Spot (a bit flustered, pulls out an ID): I'm with the TSA.
Me: That's nice. But you haven't answered my question.
Spot: Just a security check.
Me: Sorry, but I refuse to answer your questions.

Spot: He refuses to answer my questions about his travels today.
Deputy 1: Is that true?
Me: Yes sir.
Deputy 2: Do you mind telling me why?
Me: Because what I am doing in a public place is none of his business and unless I happen to be flying out of this airport then I'm not talking to him.
Spot (in an accusing tone of voice): You said you were flying today.
Deputy 2: Well?
Me: That is true. I am flying today. On a private plane. From Sacramento Executive airport, not here. I'm here waiting to meet an arriving passenger on the Chicago flight. The TSA guy asked me if I was flying today. I answered yes, because I didn't want to be accused of lying to a federal agent. It's his fault for not asking the right questions, not mine.
Deputy 1 chuckles.
Deputy 2 pulls Spot aside and they have an animated conversation. Spot walks away, goes up the escalators towards airside.
Deputy 2: Sorry for the inconvenience sir. Please go about your business.
Me: Appreciate your service. Thanks and be safe.
...What's supposed to happen at that point? Should he be detained anyway, because the BDO thought he was suspicious? Is that not the dangerous road that so many people cry foul at the whole BDO program for in the first place?

It just seems to me that people want it both ways. They want the above-cited reference to happen if the person is doing nothing wrong with no intentions of doing something wrong, but if the person later, say, beats the crap out of a chick in the bathroom and attempts to rape her, then it's the TSA's fault for not doing enough when they very clearly had noticed him lurking around for most of the day.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by LessO2
While I will the original insinuation is a little bit of a stretch, there are a few things you need to understand:

1. Time and time and time and time again, the TSA trumpets anything it does even beyond the "security" checkpoint to make itself look better, and/or relevant.

2. The TSA regularly trumpets ANYTHING a TSAer gets involved in. Including home burglaries, having NOTHING to do with airport "security."

3. TSAer harassing someone waiting for someone in Sacramento. If they can harass people sitting, waiting around for passengers, surely TSA can stop and question someone who has been noticed to be waiting around for hours, right?

Those three cases alone raise the bar, done by the TSA itself, in what the TSA job description is.

Now, consider other things....

- How many times do we hear that we should report any suspicious activity to law enforcement or TSA? Some guy wandering around for hours and hours would seem a little suspicious to me, don't you think?

- As mentioned before, the TSA itself raises the bar on these kinds of things. Stopping home burglaries, finding 6,000 Ex pills.

Classic case of you make your bed, you lie in it.
very well said ^

......Even assuming that any BDOs actually saw him, if one of them went to go have a chat with him and he refused to talk to him, then... what's supposed to happen at that point?.......
how about the bdo doing their job?

bdo's are "designed" to probe and find flaws. so the person in question doesn't want to talk to the bdo-that's fine and i have no problem with that but if the person being questioned is evasive in their denial, appears nervous, their eyes are not focusing on the face of the person doing the questioning, etc., etc., .... then the bdo should pursue it. follow the pax around, alert a leo but do something if it is "staring you in the face" as that's the job of a bdo.

not saying that's what happened just what should happen in that scenario. as i posted above, i put blame all around save for the fam's who acted.

Originally Posted by LessO2
Read my original post in this thread again.

The point I'm making is that the TSA positions itself as this all-encompassing, you can't get anything by us, we're here to save the day, if it weren't for us you'd be dead....agency that lowers itself to irrelevant, shameless plugs for itself all in the name of keeping itself relevant.

Someone at the TSA, people who regularly pull aside people who are not threats to aviation or airport security, should have done something to this legitimate threat at an airport.
well said again ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.