Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

video proof that NZ Customs is much harsher than US Customs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2008, 3:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

video proof that NZ Customs is way harsher than US Customs.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HBCOLjhG18

got a couple of questions after watching this video:

(1) how much is 200 New Zealand dollars anyway?

(2) is the airline partly to blame?

Last edited by bornatsea; Oct 5, 2008 at 5:36 pm
Old Oct 5, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: RR , Delta FF,United FF
Thumbs down

I think United is very much to blame. As a airline carrier they have probably already been informed that it is illegal to have the fruit and should not offer it to px.

I think United should be required to pay the fine and have some kind of notification on the plane that it is illegal.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
an apple a day......

Originally Posted by bornatsea
video proof that NZ Customs is way harsher than US Customs.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HBCOLjhG18

got a couple of questions after watching this video:

(1) how much is 200 New Zealand dollars anyway?

(2) is United Airlines partly to blame?
$200 nzd is about $132 usd and where the pax should have declared, i personally think an announcement should have been made on the flight as a "friendly reminder"

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I'm amazed that people are crying over a 200NZ$ fine... It sucks, yes, but it happens...

HTSC
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
United doesn't fly to New Zealand.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 4:12 pm

Gone.

Last edited by Peetah; Oct 21, 2008 at 1:29 am
Old Oct 5, 2008, 4:14 pm

Gone.

Last edited by Peetah; Oct 21, 2008 at 1:29 am
Old Oct 5, 2008, 4:23 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
You could face similiar consequences if you don't declare fruit when arriving in Hawaii. But I bet you would not be dealt with as politely as the folks in this video were. They read the form and checked the box - obviously not paying attention, too bad for them.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, Marriott LT PLT
At least the customs officials are giving out complimentary tissues with the NZ$200 citation...they have hearts after all.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 5:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
$200 nzd is about $132 usd and where the pax should have declared, i personally think an announcement should have been made on the flight as a "friendly reminder"
What if the flight attendants handed out the apples just prior to arrival, and the passengers had already completed their customs declaration forms? In a similary situation, I probably wouldn't have remembered to include one apple on my form. I still think the NZ officer was too harsh. A verbal warning and confiscation of the apple should have been enough. I don't even want imagine what they would have done if the passenger was carrying drugs. (summary execution in the customs hall, perhaps?)

A few years ago, I flew from Europe back to the US. I had a small orange(or probably a tangerine) that I got on the flight. Without thinking, I just dropped it in my carry-on bag, figuring I would eat it while waiting in the long immigration line, which turned out to be over an hour. The customs officer spotted the orange in my bag and confiscated it. She was nice and just said "this is a no-no, don't do it again..."
Old Oct 5, 2008, 6:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I'm having trouble with the video but I assume it is from the Border Patrol tv program from a few years ago (Qantas flight, lots of passengers got caught with apples)? For the past few years (at least) all airlines make an announcement while taxiing on arrival about the strict quarantine rules (it is not customs), the importance of correctly filling out the forms, and that there are amnesty bins before you reach the x-ray if you have any food or other items to dispose of. There are also large signs about it around the baggage claim area.

Unfortunately some people ignore all the notices.

The reason for the "harshness" is that NZ relies heavily on agriculture and does not yet have many pests and diseases that are found elsewhere.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:28 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by jachot
I think United is very much to blame. As a airline carrier they have probably already been informed that it is illegal to have the fruit and should not offer it to px.

I think United should be required to pay the fine and have some kind of notification on the plane that it is illegal.
Haven't seen the video, but there is such a thing as personal responsibility (people outside the USA know about this). The passenger would have filled out the immigration/customs form, there would have been signs up in the terminal as well as announcements in the plane on landing.

Passenger has to pay the fine.

Agree with Kiwi Flyer - some people ignore all the notices. Border Secruity (the Australian TV show) has illustrated this many times - with people trying to enter Australia with suitcases full of food. They think they are special and that their dietary requirements overrule the law. They lie, pretend they don't understand english and whinge when they get caught. Customs officials know when there is an honest mistake and when people are trying to cheat.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:23 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
This is the one thing that Australia and New Zealand don't mess around with. Carefully read what they don't allow with foodstuffs etc. You will be fined. Has to do with being an island and isolated from a lot of crap...
Old Oct 6, 2008, 2:32 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
The penalty in Australia is reserved for those who do not declare that they are carrying food. Border Security had a Vietnamese couple on last week who declared all of their food, none of which was permitted to enter the country.

However, because they had declared all of the food there were no problems nor a fine.

The do regularly show people who do not declare food and get the $200 fine and an entry on their entry record.

I have previously declared food, chocolate biscuits etc and never had a problem.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hvr
I have previously declared food, chocolate biscuits etc and never had a problem.

Are chocolates not allowed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.