Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA officials handcuffed by Chicago police, TSA to fine city.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.

It would be nice if the aviation department responded by evicting the TSA.

I am betting they tried the "i'm a federal agent" line on some real law enforcement types.

CHICAGO, July 22 (UPI) -- U.S. transportation authorities want to fine the city of Chicago $10,000 for allegedly handcuffing and detaining federal undercover inspectors, sources say.

Inspectors from the U.S. Transportation Security Administration were conducting an undercover assessment of security at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport when they were seized and handcuffed by unarmed officers working for the city's aviation department, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Tuesday.

The newspaper said the officers refused to let the TSA agents go even after they identified themselves as federal security officials, unnamed sources told the newspaper. As a result, the TSA is recommending a $10,000 fine against the city.

"We followed protocol regarding unauthorized entry into a secure area at the airport. No fine has been assessed" yet by the TSA, Chicago Aviation Department spokeswoman Karen Pride told the Sun-Times
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/07/...dcuff_incident

Edit: UPI won't let you deep-link, it will bounce to their homepage

Last edited by Error 601; Jul 22, 2008 at 10:58 pm
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Inspectors from the U.S. Transportation Security Administration were conducting an undercover assessment of security at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport when they were seized and handcuffed by unarmed officers working for the city's aviation department, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Tuesday."

Stories like this warm my heart. I hope the TSA doesn't get a dime and instead is slapped with some fines and criminal complaints.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I see nothing in the story which would indicate that these people are "goons".

Would you please explain why you believe they are.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

a goon mentality is a condition of employment for any branch of the DHS.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:14 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
man bites dog-gotta love it ^

so a badge and an i/d means the undercover tsa inspectors can be let free before verifying the validity of said badge & said i/d? i don't think so and good on the o'hare employees for doing their job ^^-someone is in an area where they shouldn't be so detain, question & verify-isn't that what any leo would do.

btw-the link didn't work but this one did: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/07/...6961216750460/
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:18 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by 601
a goon mentality is a condition of employment for any branch of the DHS.
That statement is ridiculous. We have quite a few TSAers who are members of FT who in no way have demonstrated having a "goon mentality". Personally, I think you should apologize to them.

In addition, if you are ever in a capsized boat off the U.S. shores you might want to think twice before telling the Coast Guard members who come to save you that they are goons.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Fortunately I hate the water and for those TSA employees on Flyertalk, I wish them nothing but the best in their search for alternative employment. I have far too much contact with the employees of DHS to have any remaining tollerance or empathy for them, they know what they are a part of.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
LOL. At least those particular agents know how we feel when we are threatened with arrest.

Now they were arrested by the Chicago police right? Well, let this be a lesson to everyone that one should always have a couple of $100 bills in one's wallet to deal with such situations.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 3:51 am

The security guards should be praised for not flinching when shown a TSA ID.

I think what boils my blood is the fact that the TSA is upset because their undercover agents' IDs were not accepted but the TSA forces an ID verification on every passenger regardless of suspension.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another Example of the DHS Mentality

Originally Posted by 601
Fortunately I hate the water and for those TSA employees on Flyertalk, I wish them nothing but the best in their search for alternative employment. I have far too much contact with the employees of DHS to have any remaining tolerance or empathy for them, they know what they are a part of.
I wonder if they are doing this right now for Hurricane Dolly? This is ICE -- you can't even blame FEMA for this one.

DHS To Conduct Citizenship Check of Hurricane Evacuees Before Boarding Buses

From May 16, 2008:

BROWNSVILLE - Ending speculation about the fate of the Rio Grande Valley's undocumented immigrants during a hurricane evacuation, U.S. Customs and Border Protection has confirmed it will check the citizenship both of people boarding buses to leave the Valley and at inland traffic checkpoints.

Those determined to be in the country illegally will be taken to detention centers away from the hurricane's path and later processed for deportation.
Oh yeah, concerning the Coast Guard, I have read (don't have time to find the links right now) that many of the officers and enlisted guys are complaining that they can't do search & rescue because Chertoff has them spending way too much time and resources doing law enforcement.

Shame on us for tolerating this garbage from our government.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Federalism -- love it like this.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dovster
I see nothing in the story which would indicate that these people are "goons".

Would you please explain why you believe they are.
If I had a relative who worked for them I'd be sensitive about it too. But, regardless, you make a choice about what you do in life.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:58 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Feds want to slap $10,000 fine on Aviation Dept.

"It's still under investigation. . . . We can't fine anybody if the investigation is not complete," TSA spokesman Elio Montenegro.

Pressed to describe the circumstances that led up to the detention of federal inspectors, he said, "On a regular basis, inspectors check the perimeter of the airport and all checkpoints to make sure we're all following standard operating procedures at O'Hare. Then, we sit down with our local law enforcement partners, go over the results and discuss issues we may have to improve security."

Seems like the TSA should be happy.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
"Inspectors from the U.S. Transportation Security Administration were conducting an undercover assessment of security at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport when they were seized and handcuffed by unarmed officers working for the city's aviation department, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Tuesday."
Isn't the real story that the Chicago police were on the job and caught these guys testing the security? The TSA "undercover" agents were probably embarrassed and one can imagine that there were some words exchanged and thus the handcuffs.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:17 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
And the real, real story is that the TSA wants to fine someone who was upholding the security of the airport, and doing so diligently.

Do we think that the fine is going to encourage them to continue doing that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.