Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

State Department's "Think of the Children!!" Denies US Citizens Passports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Passport rules snag child support cash
By KEVIN FREKING, Associated Press Writer Tue Aug 14, 3:34 PM ET

WASHINGTON - The price of a passport: $311,491 in back child support payments for a U.S. businessman now living in China; $46,000 for a musician seeking to perform overseas, and $45,849 for a man planning a Dominican Republic vacation.

The passport denial program is just one of several tools the government has to collect overdue child support.
The full article here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/pa..._child_support

So what other things will new and renewal passport applicants be subject to prior to getting their passport issued/renewed? And what about US citizens abroad next year who need a new or renewed passport but are subject to passport denial?

Note the US Government spin that uses this "benefit" of expanded passport requirements to justify the passport requirements for more and more travel.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 15, 2007 at 11:41 am
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:39 am

Programs: WorldPerks Gold, Priority Club Platinum
Personally, I don't think this is a bad idea. I don't agree that a person should be "stranded" abroad though. Perhaps someone in that situation would be allowed to return home on the expired passport, but can't leave again until they pay up.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Watch more American "deadbeat dads" (and moms) in this situation pay smuggling syndicates to get them out of the US or, alternatively, trying to acquire or use passports from other countries. This program collects less than $25 million dollars while growing the market for criminals and encouraging the permanent relocation/settlement of Americans abroad.

Human traffiking operations around the US-Mexico border and elsewhere will see some boom in business next year.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I don't think that this would strand an American citizen trying to re-enter, but it certainly might not let them leave.

If it is/was an honest mistake on the part of the accused, I might have some sympathy for them. If it is a case of someone trying to avoid their legal duties, then I'm glad this system is in place.

Human trafficking, while tragic, is an unfortunate fact of life, and these people who engage in it will face the same uncertainties and possible prosecution if caught.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by etch5895
I don't think that this would strand an American citizen trying to re-enter, but it certainly might not let them leave.
They won't be driving in California, either (or at least shouldn't be driving). We've been suspending drivers licenses since 1996 for failure to pay child support. As it seems like half the state is driving with suspended licenses though, I'm not sure if it really has any impact here.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The full article here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/pa..._child_support

So what other things will new and renewal passport applicants be subject to prior to getting their passport issued/renewed? And what about US citizens abroad next year who need a new or renewed passport but are subject to passport denial?

Note the US Government spin that uses this "benefit" of expanded passport requirements to justify the passport requirements for more and more travel.
What exactly is wrong with making people take care of their legal obligations? What about the children whose fathers (mostly) have abandoned them? We're supposed to pity the poor "businessman" who fled the country to evade his obligations and is now whining, only when they finally found something he cares about (i.e., not his child)?

I say stick it to them. If they want their passports, they know exactly what they have to do.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by etch5895
So we're effectively becoming a jail?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jedison
What exactly is wrong with making people take care of their legal obligations?...I say stick it to them. If they want their passports, they know exactly what they have to do.
The problem is that one thing has nothing to do with the other -- and you have due-process issues. You may have no problem with denying passports to people with child-support shortfall records (which may or may not be accurate). OK, what about driver's licenses? Should they be suspended, too? Where do you stop? What if the government forbade people under these circumstances from registering real-estate transactions (making it impossible to buy or sell property)? How about marriage licenses? Should people with child-support problems be forbidden from marrying? The list goes on and on.

Bruce
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
The State of Illinois can yank my professional license for failure to pay child support, income taxes or student loans. I don't have a problem with that or withholding passports from deadbeat parents.

I mean, it's not like they can take away their ability to have more children until they've paid for the ones they already have.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
They won't be driving in California, either (or at least shouldn't be driving). We've been suspending drivers licenses since 1996 for failure to pay child support. As it seems like half the state is driving with suspended licenses though, I'm not sure if it really has any impact here.
And what do some of those people do in California when they are denied licenses or have them suspended? Go to another state to get a driver's license or simply drive without a license? And then when they get pulled over in California, they get hit with fines or worse .... with their ability to pay the child support or the fine worsening? I would be shocked if there wasn't also some additional document fraud -- including that which criminal organizations and undocumented aliens use -- going on as a result of that restriction too. Great intentions don't always mean great results.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:24 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 19, 2008 at 10:09 am
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
A debtors' prison-wannabe?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
OK, what about driver's licenses? Should they be suspended, too? Where do you stop? What if the government forbade people under these circumstances from registering real-estate transactions (making it impossible to buy or sell property)? How about marriage licenses? Should people with child-support problems be forbidden from marrying? The list goes on and on.

Bruce
Yes. Do whatever it takes to make people pay what they owe. I am not a big fan of letting people get away with shirking responsibility easily. This seems like an easy way to catch people who might otherwise not own up to their debts. I cannot believe that there are people upset that there is a mechanism for making worthless scum support their children.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Out of the possibilities that you enumerated, I would say that this is one that a state could have a rational basis for regulating (with regard to child support). I don't think it would take much of an argument to convince a court that a state has a rational basis in forbidding people with child-support problems from marrying. Assuming, of course, "rational basis" is the correct measure of scrutiny for marriage cases, which it very well might not be.
Certainly we are not the United Taliban States of America, so a marriage license is not required for having children. Do we really want the government to be able to forcefully sterilize people or mandate an abortion in absence of having a child-bearing license from the government?

Why should the federal government deny passports just for child support payments due? Why not credit card and other legal obligations due as well? And parking tickets too before getting a passport?

Given the competency -- actually lack thereof -- with government aviation blacklists, why expect any better from whatever subsidiary lists the government uses to compile a blacklist of citizens not entitled to a passport?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
For criminals who try to evade their legal obligations...yeah. No problem whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.