Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Wants to Know Where I'm Going

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, Dirt elsewhere
I've used my passport as ID at IND, and quite often the ID checker starts flipping through my passport--and I start objecting. it shouldn't matter to them where else I've been--- I give them the passport with the information page open and the boarding pass right next to it.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott gold, AA DL, NW
My Dad was engaged in conversation at JFK about a year ago by a TSA agent. The usual, where are you headed today etc. While he was conversing with the agent, the X-ray agent stole his two camrea lenses out of his camera bag. He did not notice until he got to Madrid. Some, not all, tsa folks you have to watch like a hawk.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I got the question: "What gate are you going to" from the ID/BP checker at BWI one day. My response was "Don't know, will check the screen on the other side of security". He persisted in asking me why I wouldn't know in advance... and I said "because sometimes they change at the last minute, and ALL the Southwest flights left from that concourse, unless the airport has changed things in the last 24 hours since I arrived. - Now are you going to let me through, or are you going to make me go back to the lobby and stand in line again, just to answer your innane question."

The TSA checker was NOT pleased - but he let me through with the comment that he was "just trying to be helpful".

I don't need that kind of help.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 1:44 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sonora
I am not going to tell some stranger whether I am alone or not. And I wondered afterward if this additional inquisition was to distract me from my personal property so someone could grab it.
Makes me wonder if some of the TSOs doing the asking are not SPOT-trained at all, but instead are hoping to make the BIG CATCH (tm) by annoying every pax in sight with inane questions which would never give a real terrorist away.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:52 pm

I learned a couple of years ago to hide my connecting boarding passes when flying out of my home airport (CMH.) I also only use a driver's license, not a passport. Our friends at the TSA will flip through any passport, peruse any documents left in the ticket wallet.

So I extract only the relevant boarding card and use a driver's license. If asked where I'm going, I only state the domestic gateway, never the international destination. I'm not lying; after all, I am going to Newark/Cincinnati/Atlanta/JFK, etc. They just don't need to know the rest.

But maybe next time I'll tell them that my actual destination and purpose of my trip are SSI. "I have good reason for keeping that information secret." After all, that's what they tell us.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:03 pm

I think an improperly trained SPOTer (read: wannabe) could probably do more damage than good. They should advise them that if they are not trained to be a SPOTer that they should not try to SPOT people.

I try not to engage in any conversation, but i do flash a cheesy smile just to placate them.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Does it really matter and is it worth getting worked up over and starting a thread about?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by thegeneral
Does it really matter and is it worth getting worked up over and starting a thread about?
Where do you live? What time will you be getting home tonight? I need to know that about as much as the TSA does.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:52 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
While I've heard both the Indiana and Egyptian versions, here in the deep south I much more commonly hear "BF, Egypt."

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I thought BF was in Indiana?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by thegeneral
Maybe doesn't seem like a big deal in and of itself, but combined with some of the other TSA practices its another step toward Big Brother having his Big Nose where it doesn't belong (in a Big Way).

Not to mention that it can be an annoyance.

Craig
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by peachfront
While I've heard both the Indiana and Egyptian versions, here in the deep south I much more commonly hear "BF, Egypt."
And I live in the deep south, peachfront, so I suppose that is why my post involved the overseas version of "BF" somewhere.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by exerda
I much prefer the SPOT'ters who can make any sort of reasonable conversation, without resorting to artificial topics like something they can read right off my BP. Like the guy at BWI who commented on the birds in his backyard and asked me what sort I hoped to see (having seen a Sibley's guide and my camera during a hand-check of my carry-on), or the guy at CRW who asked how I liked XM and if I'd considered Sirius when he saw my XM radio in a bag check. Heck, they could have just been making real conversation and not been doing SPOT at all--and that, IMHO, is the way SPOT should work.
I feel the same way.

At IAH a few weeks ago, I was repacking a video camera after going through the x-ray, and a TSO asked me why it wasn't in a specific (widely-used) type of camera bag. So I told him I usually do use one of those, but had to repack because of the STUPID one-bag rule connecting through London.

He then told me about his work with some particular kind of video equipment with the DC police and we had a nice chat for a couple of minutes as I was repacking gear on the floor.

I'm still not sure if he was just a nice guy or practicing his SPOT techniques, but that -is- the way it should work.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 5:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by videomaker
I feel the same way.

At IAH a few weeks ago, I was repacking a video camera after going through the x-ray, and a TSO asked me why it wasn't in a specific (widely-used) type of camera bag. So I told him I usually do use one of those, but had to repack because of the STUPID one-bag rule connecting through London.

He then told me about his work with some particular kind of video equipment with the DC police and we had a nice chat for a couple of minutes as I was repacking gear on the floor.

I'm still not sure if he was just a nice guy or practicing his SPOT techniques, but that -is- the way it should work.
That's nice to hear - always makes me feel better to read/hear about decent TSA officers. Not every TSA officer out there is a nutcase out to get us - many of them ARE holding down jobs for their kids and families, and studying on the side. It's the bad apples (which TSA has quite a few of) that ruin our perceptions of TSA.

Remember, guys, not to sound preachy or anything (really!), but most of those nice TSA officers probably hate the stupid rules just as much as we do - but they really can't do much to change the rules, due to all the red tape involved.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
I wonder what their programmed auto response is if you ask them a question?

TSO: "What's the purpose of your trip?"

Pax: "To get home. In one piece. Without being flown into a tall building. What are YOU doing to make sure all three of those things happen today?"
"I'm sorry, sir, but since you alluded to airplane hijacking, we're having you arrested for disorderly conduct."
Old Aug 8, 2007, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
My standard reply if asked this is: "I was not aware that I was required to tell the Federal Government about my domestic travel plans."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.