Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Proposed Legislation to Restrict CLEAR at California Airports

Old Apr 22, 2024, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Looks like there is a bipartisan push in CA to crack down on CLEAR. Wonder how the TSA would respond? Giving CLEAR their own lane certainly makes sense and benefits consumers. Operating CLEAR at LAX is already costly enough with 8 terminals, and it is almost never useful or faster than PRE.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by downinit
Looks like there is a bipartisan push in CA to crack down on CLEAR. Wonder how the TSA would respond? Giving CLEAR their own lane certainly makes sense and benefits consumers. Operating CLEAR at LAX is already costly enough with 8 terminals, and it is almost never useful or faster than PRE.
I find it somewhat amusing the FA union is a fan of this. Sarah Nelson said the following:

She added that the bill would restore equal access and treatment at the airport security checkpoint, and streamline the security process while preserving
Perhaps the FAs who benefit from KCM access, bypassing all security checks unless they get a random screening, should also go back to using the main security lines. Seems like that would also restore equal access

Given the airline support, Id be surprised if this made it through.
Xyzzy, jmw, MSPeconomist and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:07 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by downinit
There have been times locally where I haven't used CLEAR, despite being a member, because the non-CLEAR option was faster. If this legislation is seriously considered and open for public comments, people could offer that this might slow down the main lanes since everyone would be funneled to the TDC instead of having some passengers fumbling with the CLEAR kiosks or waiting since a CLEAR employee is processing enrollments.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Majuki
There have been times locally where I haven't used CLEAR, despite being a member, because the non-CLEAR option was faster. If this legislation is seriously considered and open for public comments, people could offer that this might slow down the main lanes since everyone would be funneled to the TDC instead of having some passengers fumbling with the CLEAR kiosks or waiting since a CLEAR employee is processing enrollments.
This is a good point. CLEAR can take extra time quite often.

If you and want to resonate with California legislators, you may want to point out that slowing down the regular lines in this manner disproportionately harms low income and otherwise economically disadvantaged travelers who would now have longer waits as a result of this legislation.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
California Moves To Ban CLEAR From Airports: No One Should Go Through Security Faster

Last edited by nk15; Apr 22, 2024 at 12:12 pm
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Will wonders never cease, the California Assembly has a bill that I actually agree with. It should really extend to the airlines too. There is no reason that you should be able to pay a private company to go straight to the front of a government line. Those airports that have their own Clear security lines I don't have an issue with. But when I am second in line for the TDC and it takes 15 minutes because of how many CLEAR members are coming through, that is a problem.
seawolf, nk15 and tecate55 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Will wonders never cease, the California Assembly has a bill that I actually agree with. It should really extend to the airlines too. There is no reason that you should be able to pay a private company to go straight to the front of a government line. Those airports that have their own Clear security lines I don't have an issue with. But when I am second in line for the TDC and it takes 15 minutes because of how many CLEAR members are coming through, that is a problem.
+1

It doesn't appear CLEAR has any background checks (eg trusted traveler program/Pre) so this is purely pay to get to the head of the line.
jmw, nk15 and tecate55 like this.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 22, 2024 at 2:33 pm Reason: Better left for a PM to the moderators
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:57 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
I don't necessarily disagree re CLEAR -- paying a private company to pay to get to the front of a government line is problematic to me (especially if the private firm doesn't pay the government for staffing extra as needed). . It also may eat up space that could be used by the government agency (I know, staffing costs are an issue). But, I don't get why we would then allow elite security access. Feels inconsistent to me without any logical difference..

Last edited by abaheti; Apr 22, 2024 at 12:06 pm
Old Apr 22, 2024, 2:22 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by seawolf
+1

It doesn't appear CLEAR has any background checks (eg trusted traveler program/Pre) so this is purely pay to get to the head of the line.
I'm a paid line cutter CLEAR customer too and I 100% agree.
tecate55 likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 22, 2024 at 2:34 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Apr 22, 2024, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
. But when I am second in line for the TDC and it takes 15 minutes because of how many CLEAR members are coming through, that is a problem.
Has happened to me too, once in MIA I sat in a very short TSA line for 30 minutes because all these CLEAR fockers kept cutting in line...
tecate55 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jmw
I'm a paid line cutter CLEAR customer too and I 100% agree.
And, honestly, with the new facial recognition at TSA pre... it has been more reliable than CLEAR for me and faster than CLEAR in terms of the actual "make sure I am me" bit.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
At most airports, the TDC alternates between CLEAR and non-CLEAR customers. I am wondering if this is more of an issue now due to the higher percentage of "random" ID checks. That is to say, before the increased randoms, CLEAR helped everyone, including non-CLEAR members get through the line faster because CLEAR was bypassing the TDC.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 4:51 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by nk15
Has happened to me too, once in MIA I sat in a very short TSA line for 30 minutes because all these CLEAR fockers kept cutting in line...
I do not put with that. If I arrive and there are clear folks there I let the next party go then I am next and step up. I have not been refuse so far. And I do not plan to be.

As for this bill I am all for it, because Clear adds no added security value.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 5:40 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by Majuki
At most airports, the TDC alternates between CLEAR and non-CLEAR customers. I am wondering if this is more of an issue now due to the higher percentage of "random" ID checks. That is to say, before the increased randoms, CLEAR helped everyone, including non-CLEAR members get through the line faster because CLEAR was bypassing the TDC.
That was not how it was being done at MSP when I had my issues. The TDC would only take a non-CLEAR once the CLEAR line was empty. That was several years ago and was remedied the last time I flew out of MSP by having a TDC for CLEAR and two for non-CLEAR.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
CLEAR is nothing more than the luxury resale of upcharge of space in the airport security queue, where those who pay can skip the line at the direct expense of every other traveler, James Mudrock, president of AFGE Local 1230, said in a letter to Senate Transportation Committee chair Dave Cortese.
Airport security line cutters are target of first-in-the-nation California bill
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/0...clear-00153447

One way to look at it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.