Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I've been asked to take off my suspenders @ WAW & LHR

I've been asked to take off my suspenders @ WAW & LHR

Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Differences between British vs. American English.
Gonna have to disagree with that source. In many years of studying math, from basic arithmetic to advanced levels of calculus as well as few years of programming experience, I've never heard an American use the term "braces" let alone "curly braces" whereas the term "brackets" is common.

But what I really, really don't understand is why in the 21st century people would need to buy a device to hold up their socks? Why not just get socks with decent elastic?
SPN Lifer and flyerCO like this.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Mar 30, 2024 at 12:44 pm
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
I wasnt responding to @Scots_Al, but if I had, I might have had different Sock Garters in mind, the kind that come with a flash.

https://www.8yards.co.uk/highland-ac...r-flashes-c237
Indeed, I think you were responding to me where I quoted Scots_Al, but your link is still a long way from what I believe was going through his mind when he posted.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Gonna have to disagree with that source. In many years of studying math, from basic arithmetic to advanced levels of calculus as well as few years of programming experience, I've never heard an American use the term "braces" let alone "curly braces" whereas the term "brackets" is common.

But what I really, really don't understand is why in the 21st century people would need to buy a device to hold up their socks? Why not just get socks with decent elastic?
Curly braces? Maybe in 5th or 6th grade learning pre-Algebra and how letters have anything to do with math. Otherwise, I agree.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.