Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA would not accept a self-printed boarding pass at SFO

Old Jul 5, 2023, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald

Flying from SFO -> SEA last weekend. Entered the security line through the Global Service reception lounge at SFO.

TSA Agent asked for my boarding pass and ID. (I guess the facial recognition tech wasn't working, because I recall they used it in the past here recently). I like to have a paper boarding pass so I can lock my phone away in my bag (one less thing for TSA to steal!). I also take my DL out and of my wallet so I can lock that away,t oo.

They wouldn't take the boarding pass I printed at home. "We don't take these anymore" the man with the shiny badge said. "I don't know why United lets you print them, but we don't take them."

So I had to fish my phone out of my bag, start the app, and get the boarding pass there.

Not sure if there's any valid reason for not taking a self-printed boarding pass over the phone one. It's not like they checked to see if I really was using a boarding pass in my wallet or the app, or if I was just showing an image of a QR code I made up myself.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Youre not alone and just another reason one of the first things I do at the airport is re-print my bp from a kiosk as I want a hard copy in case of irrops and my mobile bp changes

UA print at home BP no longer accepted by TSA? Multiple airports? Mobile BP OK?
chollie, SPN Lifer and N830MH like this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Thanks! I didn't see that thread. Another disgusting, disrespectful assault on the American Public by TSA.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 12:37 pm

Worth noting that "TSA" at SFO is actually run by private contractors. See https://www.flysfo.com/about/airport...afety-security

Covenant Aviation Security, a private company under contract with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), provides passenger and baggage screening at SFO.

Visit Covenant Aviation Security to learn more about security screening at SFO.
N830MH likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by goalie
Youre not alone and just another reason one of the first things I do at the airport is re-print my bp from a kiosk as I want a hard copy in case of irrops and my mobile bp changes

UA print at home BP no longer accepted by TSA? Multiple airports? Mobile BP OK?
Same here. Twice - only twice - the scanner wouldn't read my home printed BP and I had to leave the checkpoint, go get a new pass, and wait through the line again.

The first time might have been a fluke. After the second time, no more chances.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Why why why print a pass.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Collierkr
When not wanting to hand over, otherwise fiddle with a phone at the airport, and other phone/personal electronic device reasons.

When wanting to have a printed record of the boarding pass as soon as possible or otherwise.

Because sometimes airport printed boarding pass quality is worse than PYOBP elsewhere.

When going to a place where security screeners or other workers at the airport are stamp, sticker and or pen happy.

Other reasons too.
Rare, Spiff and jms_uk like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:00 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
I try to have a hard copy pass for every flight - wonderfully handy for documenting physical presence since passports are no longer stamped and when flights do not show in frequent flyer profiles. And other reasons, too.
Spiff and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:15 am

I always always always print a pass
Spiff and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Collierkr
I checked a bag on a recent flight. The GA printed a BP and put the baggage tag on it. Where else should it be placed? Sticking it to my butt ain't work.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I checked a bag on a recent flight. The GA printed a BP and put the baggage tag on it. Where else should it be placed? Sticking it to my butt ain't work.
well it has backing paper on it so you dont need to stick it to anything.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
If the adhesive side of the baggage "receipt" has already been removed from the airline-printed boarding pass by the gate agent (GA), it can be carefully separated and folded over on itself.

If the backing paper is still intact, indeed, there is no need to do anything except, perhaps, put that receipt in one's ticket wallet

Turning to the central focus of this thread, it is good to know that printed PDF file boarding passes should not be used to scan, however valuable they remain for record-keeping, persuasive, evidentiary, power outage, and other purposes.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing on the TSA website. Are we surprised? Just the usual "Look how many guns and drugs we stopped this month" drivel. I just posted a question on the TSA subreddit. They tend to be more open about things over there,
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 3:08 pm

Programs: TSA
For what its worth, SFO is a private security group, so there may be some differences in how they operate.

Also FWIW, I have never heard of this. I have seen home printed passes not scan, and sometimes it wont match up in the CAT machine, but those cases are few and far between here, so I am not sure what they are doing in this case.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
For what its worth, SFO is a private security group, so there may be some differences in how they operate.

Also FWIW, I have never heard of this. I have seen home printed passes not scan, and sometimes it wont match up in the CAT machine, but those cases are few and far between here, so I am not sure what they are doing in this case.
Aren't TSA contract security operators required to follow TSA screening requirements and guidelines?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.