Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA missed two box cutters in carryon-Retraining imminent

Old Nov 13, 22, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.

Whoops.

Naturally, this comes a week before the Thanksgiving rush, so they'll have an excuse for making the lines longer and the screening more onerous over the holiday.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/13/us/ts...ght/index.html
Old Nov 15, 22, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
Whoops.

Naturally, this comes a week before the Thanksgiving rush, so they'll have an excuse for making the lines longer and the screening more onerous over the holiday.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/13/us/ts...ght/index.html
Wow! I guessed I missed the cable news stories about airplanes dropping out of the skies. Result: passenger arrested; TSA clerks retrained.
Spiff likes this.
Old Nov 17, 22, 4:38 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
no retraining needed - they found the knife taped inside the laptop...
Old Nov 17, 22, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107 View Post
no retraining needed - they found the knife taped inside the laptop...
Two box cutters, apparently one found, one not found.

A passenger with box cutters prompted a Frontier Airlines flight to make an emergency landing in Atlanta, airline says

The man's backpack, containing the other box cutter and the rest of the man's property, was screened for explosives, but the box cutter was not discovered at that time, TSA
and training was ordered.

The employees involved in the incident have been placed in a "training status" for remediation on CT image review and search procedures, according to the statement.
Old Nov 20, 22, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobs
The “visible blades” were removed, but they were then returned back to the passenger, the agency said. The man’s backpack containing the second box cutter and the remainder of his property was screened for explosives, but the second box cutter was not detected at that time, the statement continued.
In other words, they didn't apply the same level of screening they are supposed to apply to everything which goes through the machines.

Statewide refresher training will be scheduled for CT image review with an “emphasis on use of the image rotation and manipulation tools for optimal detection,” according to the statement.
I would do this nationwide..

The agency said it would provide a shift brief on this incident for all screening employees nationwide, which will include reminders on the protocol for using technology tools and handling prohibited items.
And after a few days, it ends up being noise going through one ear and out the other...
It will happen again..just watch.

TSA has started an internal review of the incident by viewing CCTV, airport security checkpoint processes/operations and will continue to provide updates as they are available.
What else will they find?
TSOs leaning against the machines? On their phones at the checkpoint? Hanging out with their cliques?

Hopefully, it was busy because TSA management will pick on this, as well.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Nov 20, 22 at 12:36 pm
Old Nov 20, 22, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
In other words, they didn't apply the same level of screening they are supposed to apply to everything which goes through the machines.

I would do this nationwide..

And after a few days, it ends up being noise going through one ear and out the other...
It will happen again..just watch.

What else will they find?
TSOs leaning against the machines? On their phones at the checkpoint?

Hopefully, it was busy because TSA management will pick on this, as well.
As long as there is a human element there wil be failures. Those failures are aggravated by TSA's unending focus on things like water and other harmless items. None security threat items like identity, drugs, and such should be left to law enforcement agencies.
Spiff likes this.
Old Nov 20, 22, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
None security threat items like identity, drugs, and such should be left to law enforcement agencies.
I'm sure countless pounds of drugs got through the checkpoint because the TSA isn't actively looking for them, and the training and equipment are focused on threats to aviation security. As for identity verification, TSA only does this with Secure Flight though databases, which really doesn't cost you any time other than typing some information using a computer, and usually its the same information you give your doctor's office.

At the checkpoint, if the TSA was actually checking identities then the airport police would be busy hauling people into vans. Identity checks by definition, are very intrusive, meaning merely showing any identity document isn't sufficient to satisfy anybody in a position to further verifying who you are.

Look at the good amount of IDs that you can use to make your flight.
A foreign passport? A TWIC card? A PIV/CAC?

All these are acceptable forms of ID can get me on a plane.
A foreign passport? How do I know this is even legit?
A TWIC card? A PIV/CAC? Those only have a photo, name and expiration date.

You may have an argument if TDC was busy looking up your information based on the ID you gave them, but they can't even do that.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Nov 20, 22 at 2:29 pm
Old Nov 20, 22, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure countless pounds of drugs got through the checkpoint because the TSA isn't actively looking for them, and the training and equipment are focused on threats to aviation security. As for identity verification, TSA only does this with Secure Flight though databases, which really doesn't cost you any time other than typing some information using a computer, and usually its the same information you give your doctor's office.

At the checkpoint, if the TSA was actually checking identities then the airport police would be busy hauling people into vans. Identity checks by definition, are very intrusive, meaning merely showing any identity document isn't sufficient to satisfy anybody in a position to further verifying who you are.

You may have an argument if TDC was busy looking up your information based on the ID you gave them, but they can't even do that.
There's no reason for TSA to check ID's of any flavor at the checkpoint. Screening people for WEI has nothing to do with identity.
Spiff and chollie like this.
Old Nov 20, 22, 3:12 pm

There's no reason for TSA to check ID's of any flavor at the checkpoint. Screening people for WEI has nothing to do with identity.
Then you are more than free not to present any flavor of ID for them to check, if you want to press this.
If you can argue that they don't need to check any IDs at the check point then you can argue that Secure Flight isn't needed, because that is also form of identity verification, which the TSA shouldn't be even doing anyways.

If the TSA shouldn't be checking IDs or anything of that nature then really there's no reason to give them a name and birth date, yet it's mandated that I have to do this when I make reservation for a flight.

You can argue that with the STSO or the airline but I'm not sure how far you are going to go with this.

My opinion, is that merely seeing an ID card isn't a form identity verification. We just have different opinions of what "identity checks" mean and how "security" is defined.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Nov 20, 22 at 3:43 pm
Old Nov 21, 22, 12:42 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(

Then you are more than free not to present any flavor of ID for them to check, if you want to press this.
If you can argue that they don't need to check any IDs at the check point then you can argue that Secure Flight isn't needed, because that is also form of identity verification, which the TSA shouldn't be even doing anyways.

If the TSA shouldn't be checking IDs or anything of that nature then really there's no reason to give them a name and birth date, yet it's mandated that I have to do this when I make reservation for a flight.

You can argue that with the STSO or the airline but I'm not sure how far you are going to go with this.

My opinion, is that merely seeing an ID card isn't a form identity verification. We just have different opinions of what "identity checks" mean and how "security" is defined.

I am not used to two posters agreeing so disagreeably!!!
Old Nov 23, 22, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107 View Post
I am not used to two posters agreeing so disagreeably!!!
Should we be hostile? My views haven't change appreciably over the years. I think TSA focuses on the wrong things which impacts their ability to conduct screening which interdict dangerous things. ID checking is one of those unnecessary actions as is the limitations on LGA's.
chollie and Spiff like this.
Old Nov 25, 22, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
All,

Here's police body camera. He got 2 box cutter. I don't know how he gets through at security. They have more training to find prohibited items. Something is not right. Screener should be fired or suspended from TSA. The men is under arrest.

Search this Thread