Wiki Posts
Search

RIP Kip Hawley

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

RIP Kip Hawley

I just quoted him in the thread about ID. Then, I found this obituary from the Heritage Foundation. "Remembering Kip Hawley". He had a profound effect on us as citizens/assumed terrorists:
  • ID matters
  • Kippy bags (The War on Shampoo)
  • Backscatter Cancer Boxes and gropings affectionately called "pat downs".
  • Inventing cop-like uniforms and badges to intimidate the public into compliance
  • Insisting that TSA clerks be called "officers"
Rest in peace (sincerely) and my condolences to the Hawley family. Regretfully, your legacy is that you royally screwed things up for air travel and caused numerous lawsuits and ordinary citizens being detained, fined and jailed. Who knows how many citizens came down with cancer being subjected to backscatter Cancer Boxes.
GUWonder, Spiff, chollie and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I just quoted him in the thread about ID. Then, I found this obituary from the Heritage Foundation. "Remembering Kip Hawley". He had a profound effect on us as citizens/assumed terrorists:
  • ID matters
  • Kippy bags (The War on Shampoo)
  • Backscatter Cancer Boxes and gropings affectionately called "pat downs".
  • Inventing cop-like uniforms and badges to intimidate the public into compliance
  • Insisting that TSA clerks be called "officers"
Rest in peace (sincerely) and my condolences to the Hawley family. Regretfully, your legacy is that you royally screwed things up for air travel and caused numerous lawsuits and ordinary citizens being detained, fined and jailed. Who knows how many citizens came down with cancer being subjected to backscatter Cancer Boxes.
May he RIP.

Regrettably, the ways of the TSA put in place and ramped under and following his designated reign didn't go to the grave long before him.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Nope, sorry, it would be hypocritical of me to wish anything good upon Kip Hawley. My beloved parents and one of my sisters quit flying because of Hawley.

I hope when he got to the other side, he was refused entry because his ID was expired - and ID matters, he told us so.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
It would be in poor taste to say "Good riddance to bad rubbish" so I'll just say that my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends who loved and miss him.

Perhaps the Heritage Foundation was misinformed about Mr. Hawley's achievements. I still have the yellow 4th Amendment tags on my baggage to remember the Kipper.
chollie and Spiff like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:57 pm

I think it's in poor taste to celebrate the death of pretty much anybody. First, most bad people have some good traits. More importantly, they presumably have family members who are not evil. My stepbrother was killed in a motorcyle accident (by a drunk driver) last month. My mom and his dad were obviously devastated by the loss, but my mom told me that the aftermath was even worse (many people cared about him).
N830MH and TommyD2 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
For the record, I'm not 'celebrating' the death of anyone. I am saying that the only Kip Hawley I knew was the man who made travel unnecessarily undignified and nasty and led many people, including my veteran hero dad and breast cancer survivor mother and easily fuddled post-stroke younger sister to give up air travel.

I have no regrets on the passing of that person. The legacy of that man was rotten and still persists today.

I have no idea what kind of father or husband or boss he was, so I'm not going to pretend to show respect to that side of him. After all, it's equally possible that the same qualities that made me despise him in TSA persisted in his personal life. Either way, I didn't know 'Kip Hawley, Civilian'.

If I wanted to indulge in fantasy, I might wonder how much sympathy his family and friends have for my family members and millions of other travelers who were unnecessarily harassed by their father's/husband's/brother's/friend's actions. I don't wish them ill. I don't give them any more thought than they gave me and mine.
moondog, Spiff, Boggie Dog and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! I did not know that! He has passed away at his home. He will be missed! His condolences to the extended family. May him rest in the peace forever. Go with gods, Kippy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/25/u...wley-dead.html

Good riddance!

Hey! Wait it minutes!! I found his real name is Edmund Summers "Kip" Hawley III. You guys didn't know his real name?!?!?

Last edited by N830MH; Aug 27, 2022 at 5:15 pm
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
I found his real name is Edmund Summers "Kip" Hawley III. You guys didn't know his real name?!?!?
If I had a real name like that, you can bet I would have come up with a nickname!
N830MH likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I had a real name like that, you can bet I would have come up with a nickname!
Yeah! I didn’t notice it! He never told everybody about his real name. He lied to the those people. He didn’t telling the truth!
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Nothing wrong with the name Ed.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Nothing wrong with the name Ed.
The Kipster apparently didn't think so...
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Kipster apparently didn't think so...
Perhaps his legacy should note that the person in charge of US airport security was himself a child of insecurity, so insecure about his name for so long that he didn't want to be called Edmund or even Ed as an adult?

Mister Ed was a popular character when he was a child and for long after. Mister Ed wasn't a male donkey.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Mister Ed was a popular character when he was a child and for long after. Mister Ed wasn't a male donkey.
Keep in mind there are two ends of a horse....
Spiff, N830MH and chollie like this.

Last edited by Section 107; Aug 30, 2022 at 8:40 am
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You know what I says!?!? Kip Hawley is an idiots! He doesn’t listen to everyone. He banned all liquids, gels and else. No liquid allowed at security. You cannot bring large toothpaste, shampoo, mouthwash and else. Due to security reasons.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I received the following RBP from one of our regular participants:
This entire thread is in bad taste and not in the spirit of FT.
Agreed.
kennycrudup and RetiredATLATC like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.