Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Did Iberia and MWAA just let an entire plane enter the country illegally?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2022, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Has Madrid added US CBP immigration preclearance? There was an additional document check before we boarded, but when Iberia landed at Dulles, they just let us off the plane and into the terminal. No people movers, no customs, no immigration, nothing.

Did they just .... up and release an entire plane load of passengers into the county illegally? (Wouldn’t put it last Iberia, which is ghastly).

edit: now I think about it, there was definitely no CPB preclearance when I flew MAD>JFK on AA a couple of months ago. And there’s no stamp in my passport for today from CPB, which now has me worried I’m in the country illegally.

Last edited by drgitlin; Jun 11, 2022 at 3:21 pm
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:51 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by drgitlin
Has Madrid added US CBP immigration preclearance? There was an additional document check before we boarded, but when Iberia landed at Dulles, they just let us off the plane and into the terminal. No people movers, no customs, no immigration, nothing.

Did they just .... up and release an entire plane load of passengers into the county illegally? (Wouldn’t put it last Iberia, which is ghastly).

edit: now I think about it, there was definitely no CPB preclearance when I flew MAD>JFK on AA a couple of months ago. And there’s no stamp in my passport for today from CPB, which now has me worried I’m in the country illegally.
Holy crap, that's crazy but it's on MWAA rather than IB. I'd probably post in the checkpoint and border forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chec...cy-debate-687/

Personally, I'd just say nothing assuming you're planning on leaving within allocated time and not call attention to the problem. I'd make sure to keep copies of the boarding pass you came in on though
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Well, the thing is I’m a PR and not sure when I’m leaving the country again. I’m also in the middle of naturalizing and if this messes that up I’m going to go postal.

Last edited by drgitlin; Jun 12, 2022 at 12:34 am
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Cross posting this from another sub forum on their advice.

Flew back from Madrid to IAD via Iberia today.

the Dulles CPB phone number gets no reply and the main CPB helpline isn’t open until Monday. I didn’t have a checked bag but I don’t see how any who did would be able to collect them since that carousel is before customs. And as I said, they just let us out into the normal terminal hall.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Just spoke to a relieved man at Dulles who is trying to track down everyone who came in on IB6131 yesterday, because they did indeed let us skip immigration control.

Last edited by drgitlin; Jun 12, 2022 at 8:40 am
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:20 am

Wow, that is frightening to think about.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:40 am
Original Poster

I suppose it was immediately obvious to anyone who checked a bag, because that carousel is obviously before customs. But I didn’t check a bag, and the rest of the trip was stressful
enough that I didn’t really process it until I got home.
LupineChemist, whitewave and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Thinking about this, it could all be down to a single moon buggy driver who went to the wrong spot.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Well, the thing is I’m a PR and not sure when I’m leaving the country again. I’m also in the middle of naturalizing and if this messes that up I’m going to go postal.
The closest I can find is from the CBP I-94 website:

What should a traveler do if he or she was admitted incorrectly to the United States?

If a traveler was admitted incorrectly to the United States, the traveler should visit a local CBP Deferred Inspection Site to have his or her admission corrected. A list of Deferred Inspection Sites can be found on CBP's website, https://www.cbp.gov, under the "Ports" link at the bottom of the page. If a traveler was issued an incorrect I-94 by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the traveler should refer to the Form I-102, which can be found at https://www.uscis.gov/forms.
Washington, D.C. Address: Deferred Inspection Unit
Washington Dulles International Airport
1 Saarinen Circle, Main Terminal Lower Level, West End
Sterling, VA 20166
Hours of Operation: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Monday - Friday
Contact Information: Phone: (703) 661-2800, ext. 7116 Fax: (703) 661-8394
I-94 Correction Instructions: (703) 661-2800 option 4
LupineChemist and TheJuice like this.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 12, 2022 at 2:28 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Just spoke to a relieved man at Dulles who is trying to track down everyone who came in on IB6131 yesterday, because they did indeed let us skip immigration control.
Indeed no pre-clearance at MAD. It was contractors and/or CBP IAP that you may have encounter at MAD.

This kind of thing about being accidentally unloaded in the “domestic” side has happened before at various major US airports of entry. In NYC, Newark, Chicago and Virginia, the request/demand was for such passengers to come back to the airport and let CBP/predecessor manually process the passengers again for at least the immigration purposes.

There are also recent press indications for something like this with an AA flight from CUN to JFK in November 2015, something that was blamed on an airline employee error.

I would go back to IAD, if it’s convenient enough, and have them manually process the thing. There used to be a land-side accessible office that was at least sometimes staffed. Maybe it’s still somewhere.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by TWA884
The closest I can find is from the CBP I-94 website:

That is only for people who were inspected by CBP and were admitted incorrectly. The most common reasons are for given the incorrect classification or given the incorrect time of admission.
The OP was not even inspected and walked out the door just like a domestic flight. But, if a person is not able to return to the airport or got onto another domestic connection flight, I could see the person might go to their local CBP Deferred office to explain the situation .
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by whitewave
Wow, that is frightening to think about.
Frightening? Annoying, yes. Idiotic, perhaps, but frightening?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Frightening? Annoying, yes. Idiotic, perhaps, but frightening?
Who came into the USA unchecked?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by whitewave
Who came into the USA unchecked?
Well they weren't completely unchecked. They passed through EU security, they passed through EU emigration, and (presumably) their passports and visas were briefly checked by IB check in and/or gate agents. CBP wasn't able to do their checks which, sure, is a problem, but its not like the passengers were completely unvetted and are all criminals and terrorists that are now going to spread throughout America.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:00 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Well they weren't completely unchecked. They passed through EU security, they passed through EU emigration, and (presumably) their passports and visas were briefly checked by IB check in and/or gate agents.
There was also the APIS manifest which was transmitted by the airline to CBP. It includes passport number, country issuing the passport, passport expiration date, name, sex, date of birth and nationality as they appear on the passport, residency card for passengers who are lawful permanent residents of the United States and country of residence.
MojaveFlyer, wrp96, Spiff and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.