Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Pile of raw chicken on airport luggage carousel prompts warning from TSA

Old Aug 30, 21, 3:32 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

This is probably one of the craziest things I have seen in a long time.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/pile-...el-warning-tsa
Old Aug 30, 21, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ryandc99 View Post

Given what I’ve seen customs find in Asia, Europe and North America, can’t say I’m surprised even if it was not part of a flight subject to customs control. Frozen human placenta has even been on the baggage carousels in parts, and I would not be surprised if non-frozen human placenta showed up too.
Old Aug 30, 21, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryandc99 View Post

Given how it's holding it's shape I think it must be frozen. I also can't picture a baggage worker putting that on a belt, the only thing that makes sense is that it was in an insulated container that broke up somewhere in the system. I've seen plenty of cardboard boxes on the belt, I think this was probably styrofoam in a cardboard box (we know someone who does deep sea fishing, they ship out frozen fish to some friends packed this way) and something snagged the box, at that point the styrofoam would quickly get broken.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 31, 21, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
Given how it's holding it's shape I think it must be frozen. I also can't picture a baggage worker putting that on a belt, the only thing that makes sense is that it was in an insulated container that broke up somewhere in the system. I've seen plenty of cardboard boxes on the belt, I think this was probably styrofoam in a cardboard box (we know someone who does deep sea fishing, they ship out frozen fish to some friends packed this way) and something snagged the box, at that point the styrofoam would quickly get broken.
A styrofoam or even hard plastic “Coleman”/“Igloo” type cooler can have their lid come undone due to the baggage handling systems impact on them and then the “contained” goods more easily plop out.

But there are also people who try to transport this kind of stuff in sheets of paper — in some parts I used to even see this kind of stuff packed in newsprint — and after enough time the paper gets so soggy that the meat/poultry/fish/crustaceans will just plop out of the paper packaging. And the rougher the handling, the more likely that the paper wrap fails sooner than later.

Given the TSA’s obsession over food items in passenger luggage, using gloves can make good sense. And they already need those disposable gloves to feel-up passengers selected for a hands-on screening of body parts, so it’s not like they need new kinds of supplies to deal with animal products.
Old Aug 31, 21, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The chicken was on a baggage carousel which to me suggests outside of the sterile area and even more likely had been already screened at some prior airport. Why is TSA even involved at this point? Seems a waste of time for a struggling agency which claims a need for 1,000's of new employees.

Just where is TSA's focus?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 31, 21, 11:19 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR-G, HH-S, IHG, ALL. TT-GE.
Just like the balikbayan boxes checked by Filipinos, coolers are associated with traveling Micronesians. Though this incident is not likely to involve any travel beyond the US customs territory (50+DC+PR).
Old Sep 1, 21, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
The chicken was on a baggage carousel which to me suggests outside of the sterile area and even more likely had been already screened at some prior airport. Why is TSA even involved at this point? Seems a waste of time for a struggling agency which claims a need for 1,000's of new employees.

Just where is TSA's focus?
The TSA is like a chicken with its head cut off, and it can’t focus. But it is also freakishly like this:

Mike the Headless Chicken (April 20, 1945 – March 17, 1947)[1] was a male Wyandotte chicken that lived for 18 months after his head had been cut off. After the loss of his head, Mike achieved national fame until his death in March 1947. In Fruita, Colorado, an annual "Mike the Headless Chicken Day" is held every May.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike...adless_Chicken .

Everyday with TSA strikes me as “TSA as Headless Chicken Day” since its inception. And so we get the TSA touching upon diapers, bottles of water, laundry detergent, dogs, and so much more. So why not even headless chicken! It is the TSA after all.
Boggie Dog likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 1, 21 at 3:15 am
Old Sep 1, 21, 11:33 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
The TSA is like a chicken with its head cut off, and it cant focus. But it is also freakishly like this:

Everyday with TSA strikes me as TSA as Headless Chicken Day since its inception. And so we get the TSA touching upon diapers, bottles of water, laundry detergent, dogs, and so much more. So why not even headless chicken! It is the TSA after all.
you are giving TSA far too much credit to be even that advanced.

Holy Schnikes - thats one of the best stories I have heard/read about in a very long time! thanks for the link! i am going next year!
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 1, 21, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA million miler, Marriott lifetime platinum
All I can say is, "Ick!"
Old Sep 6, 21, 11:20 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by CincyTraveler View Post
All I can say is, "Ick!"
I will add - Ewwww......
Old Sep 7, 21, 2:42 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Health Department epidemiologist/contact tracer: "Well, this was one for the record books: Though DNA analysis confirmed the more than 300 individuals, spread over 25 states, were all infected with the same salmonella bacteria variant we struggled to identify the source of the infection as we were able to determine that none of the individuals ingested any food or drink in common; in fact, they didn't even visit any of the same restaurants. But thanks to the fantastic work of the TSA and their crackerjack social media team, we were finally able to identify a nexus of the infectious group and the source of the infection as being baggage claim belt #5....."
Old Sep 7, 21, 2:53 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
The TSA is like a chicken with its head cut off, and it cant focus. But it is also freakishly like this:

Everyday with TSA strikes me as TSA as Headless Chicken Day since its inception. And so we get the TSA touching upon diapers, bottles of water, laundry detergent, dogs, and so much more. So why not even headless chicken! It is the TSA after all.
Life Magazine Issue - October 22 1945

Story about Mike on page 53.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 7, 21, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107 View Post
Health Department epidemiologist/contact tracer: "Well, this was one for the record books: Though DNA analysis confirmed the more than 300 individuals, spread over 25 states, were all infected with the same salmonella bacteria variant we struggled to identify the source of the infection as we were able to determine that none of the individuals ingested any food or drink in common; in fact, they didn't even visit any of the same restaurants. But thanks to the fantastic work of the TSA and their crackerjack social media team, we were finally able to identify a nexus of the infectious group and the source of the infection as being baggage claim belt #5....."
TSA needs a health security theater announcement playing at US airports near and far from TSA HQ, and it can replace the “see something, say something” mantra: “Wash your hands vigorously with soap and warm water for 30 seconds; and don’t stick any fingers or any part of your hand in your nose and mouth or eyes; terrorists aren’t everywhere but unhealthy pathogens may be”. But it should be directed at the TSA touching up passengers as much as others; and it can be the new 30-0-X rule to replace the 3-1-1 rule.
Old Sep 7, 21, 4:42 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Chicken is a fairly ubiquitous food in the US, available in nearly every market at fairly affordable prices. Why the heck would anybody feel the need to transport an entire cooler full of chicken to Seattle? I'm sure there are plenty of places neat SeaTac where you can get a cooler full of chicken. Unless it was some fancy genetically-altered chicken. I doubt you could get lab chicken at the local Safeway or Walmart Supercenter.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 21, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR-G, HH-S, IHG, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
Chicken is a fairly ubiquitous food in the US, available in nearly every market at fairly affordable prices. Why the heck would anybody feel the need to transport an entire cooler full of chicken to Seattle? I'm sure there are plenty of places neat SeaTac where you can get a cooler full of chicken. Unless it was some fancy genetically-altered chicken. I doubt you could get lab chicken at the local Safeway or Walmart Supercenter.
Back to my Micronesian suspicion: The RMI has its only consulate worldwide (otherwise they just have a few embassies) in Springdale, Arkansas. Tyson has hired thousands of Marshallese citizens for decades as they don't need green cards to live and work in the US and always have relatives there to smooth out their move. Maybe a Marshallese Arkansas resident with a US airline credit card attending a family reunion in Washington decided to bring the freshest food possible in their favorite type of checked baggage container.

Search this Thread