Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Lengthy Wait Times at TSA Checkpoints as Travel Returns to Normal Levels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2021, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've seen more than one report of long waits at TSA's Security Checkpoints recently. The most recent was reported by a NASCAR driver at Charlotte.

A disaster.’ NASCAR driver bemoans long lines at CLT airport as COVID concerns wane
"There’s 1 checkpoint open and it’s backed up from the E checkpoint all the way past the middle of the terminal,” Martins posted. “People can’t get in the building it’s so backed up.”

“And I’m precheck — showed up an hour and 15 mins early & made it to my gate 4 mins before boarding,” he continued. “Gonna be a lottttt of people missing flights this morning.”
Seems for those of us traveling to realize early on that counting on TSA to provide a quick checkpoint experience is just a pipedream.

Back to normal in more ways than one.
Spiff and chollie like this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 7:11 am

The TSA wants to hire 6,000 new airport security officers by the summer

This article is from February. What happened to all the screeners that were laid off due to covid? They aren't being rehired?

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 6, 2021 at 9:46 am Reason: FT Rule 7: Links to other sites; please include a summary or headline so that members don't have to follow the link
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:17 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
According to a May 25, 2021, article in The Hill, the TSA has hired 3,000 more TSO's since the beginning of the year and will be hiring an additional 1,000 before the 4th of July. The Points Guy reports that bonuses of $1,000 are offered to those who sign-on by Sep. 30.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Additional information regarding excessive wait times at TSA security checkpoints.

Austin airport TSA security wait times 2 hours long Friday morning, frustrating travelers

TSA warns of longer airport wait times as travel ramps up

So what happened to TSA's screeners? Haven't seen any reports of RIF actions.

Another attempt at increasing the size of an unneeded federal agency?
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 10:09 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
According to Government Executive, one in five TSA screeners quits within six months. According to Federal News Network, TSA’s overall attrition rate is about 17%; they confirm that about 20% of TSA’s new employees leave within six months of being hired. NPR reported that a hiring freeze was imposed just as the pandemic hit. Once the hiring freeze was lifted, I suspect that the pandemic severely impacted recruiting and training. It probably was not a very high priority in 2020, when air travel was severely reduced.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
According to Government Executive, one in five TSA screeners quits within six months. According to Federal News Network, TSA’s overall attrition rate is about 17%; they confirm that about 20% of TSA’s new employees leave within six months of being hired. NPR reported that a hiring freeze was imposed just as the pandemic hit. Once the hiring freeze was lifted, I suspect that the pandemic severely impacted recruiting and training. It probably was not a very high priority in 2020, when air travel was severely reduced.
I've suspected that TSA's reliance on part time employees accounts for a good bit of employee turnover and the Federal News Network link posted above seems to support my belief.

Though TSA’s attrition rate of about 17% is roughly equivalent with other federal agencies, it’s much higher for TSA’s part-time frontline workforce. Nearly 27 percent of part-time TSOs left the agency in fiscal 2017, according to the IG.
I can understand the limited upward mobility. Screening passengers and baggage is pretty much low end tasking and not everyone can be a supervisor or higher. TSA screening is pretty much a minimum pay job and should remain so. Seems the processes and methods need reviewing for efficiency.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:49 am

TSA asks office staff for help, offers bonuses and mandates overtime to keep airport checkpoints moving

Same story we have been hearing for years and years.
Spiff and chollie like this.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 9, 2021 at 9:50 am Reason: FT Rule 7: Links to other sites; please include a summary or headline so that members don't have to follow the link
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Apparently it isn't just TSA that is seeing staffing issues. Not directly related to TSA slowdowns but certainly parallel to the issue.

As reported on Flyertalk.

AMERICAN ASKS BEHIND-THE-SCENES WORKERS TO VOLUNTEER FOR SIX-HOUR SHIFTS

With gate agents and customer service representatives overwhelmed by the increased travel demand, American is asking staff at their nearby headquarters to consider taking an unpaid, six-hour volunteer shift to help with airport operations. Although most workers are salaried, even those working hourly are being asked to give up their off hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.