Wiki Posts
Search

TSA's newest mandate: mask enforcer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
TSA's newest mandate: mask enforcer

"The order will be enforced by Transportation Security Administration (TSA) agents and "other federal authorities."

The CDC order doesn't just stop at people not wearing masks. In fact, it leaves a lot up to officials' discretion.

For instance, travelers can take masks off while eating, drinking, or taking medication—leaving room for a lot of individual judgments in how long it's reasonable or appropriate to remove a mask for during these activities, as well as misinterpretation in whether someone is allowed to have a mask on or off at a given moment.

The CDC order also says it's not enough to simply wear a mask—it has to be a certain kind of mask. It can't be a bandana, scarf, ski mask, or balaclava. It can't fit too loosely or too tightly. It can't contain an exhalation valve or be made from knitted fabrics, leather, plastic, or vinyl.

Again, that leaves a lot of room for authorities to choose who they target for enforcement."

Discretion and TSA is always a great combination...

https://reason.com/2021/02/01/federa...avelers-today/
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes. Discretion is common. Not everyone who violates the law is arrested and tossed in a dungeon (thankfully).
Old Feb 2, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by jfunk138
"The order will be enforced by Transportation Security Administration (TSA) agents and "other federal authorities."

The CDC order doesn't just stop at people not wearing masks. In fact, it leaves a lot up to officials' discretion.

For instance, travelers can take masks off while eating, drinking, or taking medication—leaving room for a lot of individual judgments in how long it's reasonable or appropriate to remove a mask for during these activities, as well as misinterpretation in whether someone is allowed to have a mask on or off at a given moment.

The CDC order also says it's not enough to simply wear a mask—it has to be a certain kind of mask. It can't be a bandana, scarf, ski mask, or balaclava. It can't fit too loosely or too tightly. It can't contain an exhalation valve or be made from knitted fabrics, leather, plastic, or vinyl.

Again, that leaves a lot of room for authorities to choose who they target for enforcement."

Discretion and TSA is always a great combination...

https://reason.com/2021/02/01/federa...avelers-today/
I understand the concern, and I share it, especially as regards giving TSOs any sort of professional discretion, and more especially when that discretion is not guided by specific, clear training. And I seriously doubt that such training will be forthcoming from TSA unless there are high profile incidents. I have seen plenty of TSOs wearing masks so loosely that they're completely ineffective (that's not specific to TSOs, however; I see such poor mask habits everywhere).

But that concern does not invalidate the absolute necessity for a mask mandate. Since many of the 443,744 Americans (2,241,409 worldwide) who have died in just one year might not have been infected had they been wearing masks - an effective mask, work properly - I am disappointed that the mandate wasn't imposed sooner. I hate wearing the mask, and I look forward eagerly to the day when it's no longer necessary. But for now, it is, so I do.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 9:52 am
Suspended

If everyone -- or even close to everyone -- just wore a mask, enforcement and rules would not be an issue.

The problem lies in politicizing something which is a scientific & medical issue, even if one personally does not care for the choice.
1P and fast passenger like this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
It's not uncommon for federal agencies to enforce orders/laws from other federal agencies, but what''s concerning is the use of discretion which may be used selectively, not at all or too much.But if I'm to guess to how far it will go, I would say not at all. I doubt the overworked TSO or CBP is going to care unless they're going to get even at a passenger they have a beef with. I would say the majority of them are reasonable and only care if you have your nose and mouth covered, and simply want you outta their face.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Since many of the 443,744 Americans (2,241,409 worldwide) who have died in just one year might not have been infected had they been wearing masks
2,977 people died on 9/11. Clearly they would not have died if we had TSA-style security pre 9/11...

Old Feb 2, 2021, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Knitted fabric? Does that mean cloth masks? That would be a big restriction.
jfunk138 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by i0wnj00
It's not uncommon for federal agencies to enforce orders/laws from other federal agencies, but what''s concerning is the use of discretion which may be used selectively, not at all or too much.But if I'm to guess to how far it will go, I would say not at all. I doubt the overworked TSO or CBP is going to care unless they're going to get even at a passenger they have a beef with. I would say the majority of them are reasonable and only care if you have your nose and mouth covered, and simply want you outta their face.
That is true of every aspect of enforcement. The cop who clocks you at 5 over the speed limit, traffic officer who sees that your car is 5 minutes over the parking minute meter, CBP Officer who catches you with a joint and so on.

The ability to fairly use one's authority is not linked to agency, job title or anything else.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

A quick search back through this section of FT reviews TSA discretion in practice... Duct tape confiscated, duct tape not confiscated. Breast milk over the limit at one checkpoint but not another. 3.4 oz of toothpaste vs 3 oz of toothpaste. Butterknife ok at checkpoint X, not OK at checkpoint Y. Snowglobe confiscated, etc.

And then there is the wide variation of genital contact during patdowns which also seems to be "screener discretion".

I'm not sure how much of this is discretion vs. incompetence or retribution but it's clear when you give TSA "discretion" the outcome is angry passengers and (in the past anyway) alot of eyerolling on this forum.
Spiff, Boggie Dog and chollie like this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I support the mandated wearing of mask when traveling in group settings but don't think that is something TSA should be enforcing. Airlines and airport authorities, yes. TSA should be restricted to their job, WEI. I lack confidence in TSA's ability to even regulate mask use within their organization.
Spiff, chollie and jhalapin like this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:52 pm

TSA is not going to enforce it, they will ask the person to wear it. If the person refuses, the TSO will call for a supervisor who will tell them the same thing. If they won’t put on a mask they will deny access to screening. If they keep insisting the supervisor will call the police and they will tell them the same thing and resolve the matter.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rolling_stone
TSA is not going to enforce it, they will ask the person to wear it. If the person refuses, the TSO will call for a supervisor who will tell them the same thing. If they won’t put on a mask they will deny access to screening. If they keep insisting the supervisor will call the police and they will tell them the same thing and resolve the matter.
I would not count on that. Reading the CDC Order and the DHS Acting Secretary's Emergency Directive, it seems quite clear that enforcement action is contemplated if compliance is not immediate & complete.

I was shocked to read how many people have been banned by carriers for anti-masker activities, but the numbers seemed to have leveled so by showing that one means business for a bit, the problem goes away in the longer term.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
I would not count on that. Reading the CDC Order and the DHS Acting Secretary's Emergency Directive, it seems quite clear that enforcement action is contemplated if compliance is not immediate & complete.

I was shocked to read how many people have been banned by carriers for anti-masker activities, but the numbers seemed to have leveled so by showing that one means business for a bit, the problem goes away in the longer term.
The problem is that TSA has a less than stellar track record of enforcing existing TSA rules. They do seem to be doing better in the last year or so although it might just be TSA has stayed out of the news by keeping errors secret.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 6:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

This forum is for discussing travel safety and security policies, what they are and what they should be.

If you wish to argue the powers or limits of the federal government to impose mask mandates in airports and aboard commercial airplanes, please do so in OMNI/PR (access is limited to members who have been on FlyerTalk for 180 days and have posted 180 messages).

Discussion of excess mortality associated with the pandemic, factoring in fewer deaths from other seasonal illnesses, also belongs OMNI/PR.

Posts have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.