FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   If I can bring 12 oz bottle of sanitizer through TSA, why not a bottle of Sprite? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/2021980-if-i-can-bring-12-oz-bottle-sanitizer-through-tsa-why-not-bottle-sprite.html)

FullFare Jul 20, 2020 8:57 pm

If I can bring 12 oz bottle of sanitizer through TSA, why not a bottle of Sprite?

Title speaks for itself. I'm talking about clear fluids here, not a closed can of invisible contents. Pax could offer to take a sip to show good faith. The problem today is Covid, in a phase of dying airline industry.

readywhenyouare Jul 20, 2020 9:54 pm

How dare you apply common sense and rationality to the government and airlines. 🤔

garykung Jul 21, 2020 1:06 am

It has nothing to do with common sense.

To make this simple - TSA will not stop you from bringing Sprite, as soon as you can meet the liquid rule.

Hand sanitizer is currently exempted under the COVID-19, but not before.

nk15 Jul 21, 2020 1:18 am

The reason is that TSA hates Sprite. Nobody knows why, it is a mystery, but don't ask them because they get very upset when someone brings it up.

TravelGirl322 Jul 21, 2020 2:35 am

I think the real question is why no soft drink manufacturers have marketed 3.4 oz size soft drinks. They could charge a buck each and soft drink addicts (suckers like me) would probably buy them just to avoid the $3 ones, and be able to have an instant cold drink.

cre95 Jul 21, 2020 5:21 am

Originally Posted by TravelGirl322 (Post 32547143)
I think the real question is why no soft drink manufacturers have marketed 3.4 oz size soft drinks. They could charge a buck each and soft drink addicts (suckers like me) would probably buy them just to avoid the $3 ones, and be able to have an instant cold drink.

How would you keep it cold? Or are you saying you’d bring it in a cooler to the airport, leave the cooler in your car, and take the cold drink through security while it’s still cold and then drink it airside? Why not just drink it on the way to the airport and plan on finishing prior to hitting security? You can choose whatever size you’d like that way.

ChateauMargaux Jul 21, 2020 5:35 am

Originally Posted by FullFare (Post 32546745)
Title speaks for itself. I'm talking about clear fluids here, not a closed can of invisible contents. Pax could offer to take a sip to show good faith. The problem today is Covid, in a phase of dying airline industry.

Government, insurance companies, and airlines co-conspiring to get us all to be healthier and drink less sugary beverages; the less we claim in medical procedures, the more money they pocket. Also when we weigh less, airlines spend less fuel to fly us, so they pocket more money too. Better for investors -> capitalism.

Orange County Commuter Jul 21, 2020 6:11 am

Because the Thousands Standing Around would be forced to admit that the liquid "ban" was theater that did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to protect you?????

We can't bring through a sprite, or a diet coke but you can pour any clear liquid into a 12 oz bottle of "hand sanitizer" and bring it on.. Theater is action!

After all if you work for the airline or airport you can bring ALL the liquids you want through the checkpoint because none of them would ever do anything wrong would they?

(Oh wait.... one of the original "liquid bomb" plotters??? Worked at the airport LOL!)

TechMarauder Jul 21, 2020 6:43 am

I always find it interesting that Australia allows any liquids through security for domestic flights (there are different secure areas for domestic and international flights). In my trips there, it’s so nice to be able to take a couple bottles of sparkling water or other beverage through security to drink on the plane.

fotographer Jul 21, 2020 6:45 am

the main reason of course is how to do you expect the shops in the airport to make any money if you could bring your own soda.
after all, a bottle cost around a dollar outside.. and probably more then 3 inside..
but than again.. doesnt that also apply to all public sporting/concerts amusement parts etc... cant take anything inside

Section 107 Jul 21, 2020 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter (Post 32547418)
After all if you work for the airline or airport you can bring ALL the liquids you want through the checkpoint because none of them would ever do anything wrong would they?

a little bit of rhetorical flourish there. Airport workers are subject to the same restrictions in terms of quantities as anyone else going through the passenger screening checkpoints. To get around the restrictions when not flying, they can use other secured entrances to the SIDA. When flying, airport workers MUST go through the PSCs just like any other pax. Failure to go through the PSC when flying has minimum mandatory suspension of credentials and financial penalty, if not revocation.

Dublin_rfk Jul 21, 2020 10:46 am

Originally Posted by FullFare (Post 32546745)

One hand of the Kabuki theater washing the other?

Orange County Commuter Jul 21, 2020 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Section 107 (Post 32547772)
a little bit of rhetorical flourish there. Airport workers are subject to the same restrictions in terms of quantities as anyone else going through the passenger screening checkpoints. To get around the restrictions when not flying, they can use other secured entrances to the SIDA. When flying, airport workers MUST go through the PSCs just like any other pax. Failure to go through the PSC when flying has minimum mandatory suspension of credentials and financial penalty, if not revocation.

Really?
So that's why all the FAs walk thought the screening machine carrying their Starbucks cofffee beecuase 'they are subject to the same restrictions"?

No in the US an airline employee is exempt and car bring on whatever they want! So while you or I can't bring on that sprite, they can. (because it's a useless action anyway)

Liquids, Gels and Aerosols (LGAs) Restrictions

Date: December 6, 2013

With the implementation of Known Crewmember (KCM) at some locations, we've heard there is some confusion regarding the current TSA and United Liquid, Gel and Aerosol (LGA) guidance as it pertains to crewmembers.

The FAOM page 17.14 outlines those specific circumstances under which crewmembers are exempt from the TSA LGAs restrictions. Generally speaking, working crewmembers both domestically and internationally, are exempt from these TSA LGA restrictions.

https://unitedafa.org/news/2013/12/0...s-restrictions

Jinxed_K Jul 21, 2020 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by TechMarauder (Post 32547485)
I always find it interesting that Australia allows any liquids through security for domestic flights (there are different secure areas for domestic and international flights). In my trips there, it’s so nice to be able to take a couple bottles of sparkling water or other beverage through security to drink on the plane.

Same with Japan, they have little bottle scanners they put your container through and it beeps if you try and bring aboard anything flammable. Never had issues bringing a bottle of tea through security for a domestic flight there.
US needs to implement those.

Boggie Dog Jul 21, 2020 2:03 pm

The answer is obvious, Sprite isn't flammable like hand sanitizer.:D