Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Are People Still Opting Out at TSA Security Checkpoints?

Old Jun 18, 20, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels

Are people still opting out at the security checkpoint? USA.
Old Jun 19, 20, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon View Post
I opted out once last summer, and honestly regret doing so because the "massage" I received was extreme.
wrldwide1 and chollie like this.
Old Jun 19, 20, 5:38 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
I have stopped opting out since the new patdown process requires TSOs to do six, hard swipes of the genitals with the TSO's palms facing the passenger's body. TSA is now officially a predatory agency in my opinion.
wrldwide1, SxMan, chollie and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 20, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDS View Post
I have stopped opting out since the new patdown process requires TSOs to do six, hard swipes of the genitals with the TSO's palms facing the passenger's body. TSA is now officially a predatory agency in my opinion.
This was the essence of my point in post 2. I used to opt out every single time in order demonstrate my opposition to their fancy screening machines, but a single experience with the "hard swipes" was sufficient for me to cave in and go with the flow on subsequent trips. I'm sorry for letting you guys down (e.g. the FT community has a long history of opting out), but the current pat down procedures will make any of you guys feel extremely uncomfortable.
chollie likes this.
Old Jun 19, 20, 12:25 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
One time was enough for me to stop opting out. I felt violated.
chollie likes this.
Old Jun 19, 20, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
I think there's only been one time when in the PreCheck line when I've not opted out and that was due to my running late.
Spiff and chollie like this.
Old Jun 19, 20, 7:21 pm
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'm in Pre-check (and clear). I would never opt out. A few times I was "random", the pat down was "extremely minimal".
I guess opt out and random are different universes.
Old Jun 19, 20, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Me, too! I'm still PreCheck for 6 years now. I already extended PreCheck for next 5 years. I never had any problem at all. I still go through WTMD.
Old Jun 21, 20, 7:55 pm

Only 100% of the time. And i find that when you take photos of screeners prior to the WTMD they back down very quickly.

I give no quarter.
Old Jun 25, 20, 4:15 pm

I am also Precheck, but unfortunately, at some airports (mainly MDW), a large percentage of Precheck passengers have often seemed to be selected for the body scanner. I always opted-out until the last time I flew from MDW. Because of my fear of getting COVID-19, I was more concerned about getting germs from the TSA agent during the patdown than I was about the non-ionizing radiation from the body scanner, and the concern also prevented me from taking a principled stand. Unfortunately, the TSO still gave me a brief partial patdown after going through the body scanner, so I kind of felt that I might as well have opted out.
Old Jun 25, 20, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guflyer View Post
I am also Precheck, but unfortunately, at some airports (mainly MDW), a large percentage of Precheck passengers have often seemed to be selected for the body scanner. I always opted-out until the last time I flew from MDW. Because of my fear of getting COVID-19, I was more concerned about getting germs from the TSA agent during the patdown than I was about the non-ionizing radiation from the body scanner, and the concern also prevented me from taking a principled stand. Unfortunately, the TSO still gave me a brief partial patdown after going through the body scanner, so I kind of felt that I might as well have opted out.
Body scanner = WTMD or Whole Body Imager? And you went through the Pre Check line?
Old Jun 26, 20, 4:41 pm

Unfortunately, the randomizer went off on the WTMD, which was why I was directed to the body scanner. At some airports, they are nice and allow this to mean a hand swab or swabbing an electronic device. I still think this is security theater but do not find it intrusive enough to mind this. Unfortunately, at many airports, this means being directed to the body scanner.
Old Jun 30, 20, 12:00 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Never opt out. Just be "medically unable to lift your arms above your head".
Old Jul 1, 20, 9:30 am

I haven't had to opt out for a few years, but I will if the situation arises.
Old Jul 4, 20, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by KDS View Post
That was originally part of the "Resolution Pat Down" procedure.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: