TSA Meltdown this morning at MIA D

Old May 7, 20, 7:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
TSA Meltdown this morning at MIA D

This morning it took me nearly 2 hours to get through Security at MIA. TSA only has one lane open, no dedicated TSA Precheck or Priority Line. E Security was also shutdown. Total chaos with AA employees standing around not to mention the number of TSA workers standing around staring off into space. Clearly the Station Manager knew what loads were like 2 days ago (the airport is fairly packed this morning). Why the hell wasn't he/she working with the Airport Manager to get more TSA lanes open and failing that escalating it to Dallas. Way to encourage your best customers back onto your planes. Not to mention what this does with the idea of "social distancing."

If you're traveling out MIA better give yourself 3 hours because TSA doesn't appear inclined to re-open TSA Precheck lanes and AA doesn't seem too concerned about it. This is the only airport I've seen in which TSA Precheck has been totally closed. Hell DSM had Precheck open last week.
SouthernCross likes this.
Old May 7, 20, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm not understanding why TSA's deficiencies at MIA are AA's fault. How does "escalating to Dallas" open Precheck lanes at MIA? And how do you know AA is not complaining or concerned?
Old May 7, 20, 8:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by dickinson View Post
I'm not understanding why TSA's deficiencies at MIA are AA's fault. How does "escalating to Dallas" open Precheck lanes at MIA? And how do you know AA is not complaining or concerned?
Simple TSA has been opening only one lane at MIA and AA can easily see that capacity is quickly increasing. They should be communicating that to TSA and the Airport manager to open up the many closed TSA lanes, including Precheck. If he/she gets pushed back they escalate to someone at Dallas to communicate with TSA management over MIA. As a consultant if I'm getting push back from another 3rd party vendor about commitments I just don't throw my hands up and blame the vendor.
SouthernCross likes this.
Old May 7, 20, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
So I'm curious on how TSA lanes are funded. Are they funded only from the U.S. taxpayer or do the airports/airlines pay based on passenger volumes?
Old May 7, 20, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George View Post
Simple TSA has been opening only one lane at MIA and AA can easily see that capacity is quickly increasing. They should be communicating that to TSA and the Airport manager to open up the many closed TSA lanes, including Precheck. If he/she gets pushed back they escalate to someone at Dallas to communicate with TSA management over MIA. As a consultant if I'm getting push back from another 3rd party vendor about commitments I just don't throw my hands up and blame the vendor.

When the last time you went to the post office or even the DMV?

i think youre making a wild assumption that a government agency operates so simply and there is anything other than bureaucratic channels for the two to communicate, if at all.
fotographer, Yoshi212, NPF and 1 others like this.
Old May 7, 20, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It has always made sense for air carriers and TSA to coordinate projected loads and thus checkpoint staffing. But, it does not happen other than at a top level. Certainly isn't going to happen now.

The budget situation at TSA is a mess. It is highly dependent on dedicated revenue from taxes on air tickets and those are running <5% of pre-Covid. But, it is not a day-to-day cash situation and the plummeting revenues won't be felt for a bit.
Old May 7, 20, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Can't TSA also see that crowds are rising?
Old May 7, 20, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Correct. I always assumed that the TSA controls how many lanes are open. If TSA staff were "just standing around", then it sounds like there were enough agents to open another line. Why didn't the TSA open another lane or two?
Old May 7, 20, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As this is TSA-related and not specifically AA, I'll move over to the appropriate forum.

~moderator AA forum
Old May 7, 20, 5:59 pm

Total chaos... ...not to mention the number of TSA workers standing around staring off into space..
If it weren't for your username, I would ask if this was your first time traveling from MIA. 2 hours is extreme but the rest of your description sounds typical to me.
Old May 7, 20, 6:53 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
TSA can't see five pounds of C4 with the government label still on it in the side pocket of a bag after they already found a smoke grenade in said bag. How could they see anything that happens at any airport?
Old May 8, 20, 3:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I am actually thinking about joining the TSA , after I turn 60... maybe I can make changes hat will help us all.. but then again.. maybe I will sit around the gates and watch
annoyed passengers standing in long lines..
Old May 8, 20, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber View Post
When the last time you went to the post office or even the DMV?

i think youre making a wild assumption that a government agency operates so simply and there is anything other than bureaucratic channels for the two to communicate, if at all.
Theres nothing wrong with hoping for, if not expecting better.
Old May 8, 20, 7:20 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
1. Miami has always been terrible.
2. Airlines do indeed coordinate with the TSA (see: Delta in ATL) and passengers should continue to press airlines on bad security conditions at hub airport.
3. Ultimately, the TSA and not the airline makes the call on staffing.
Old May 10, 20, 8:37 am

Programs: TSA
I understand your thought process, and how the request for better coordination and staffing shifts is quite reasonable, and is many times the standard behavior. The only question I have is - what does MIA have to do with Dallas? Dallas is in Texas, MIA is in Florida. I am not tracking on your train of thought for that. MIA typically has their own staff for fielding challenges and complaints.

Search this Thread