Airport security in a post-COVID-19 world

Old Apr 27, 20, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Airport security in a post-COVID-19 world

https://thehill.com/opinion/national...covid-19-world

How can this be done? The TSA should offer the program at no cost, or minimal cost ó say $25 for five years ó to any person who travels three or more times per year, including access to biometric identity verification. A study conducted at the University of Illinois showed that such a program would be cost neutral to the federal government, while enhancing the security of the air system. An added benefit is that it would reduce coronavirus transmission as we transition into a post-COVID-19 world of air travel.
Old Apr 27, 20, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA can help reduce disease transmission by relying on technology for screening people and things and stop with the crotch grabbing and most bag checks. If something in a bag alarms have the traveler remove the items of concern. Require screeners to remove gloves and use hand sanitizer before donning fresh gloves should they need a hands on inspection. Require that TSA provide to the traveler an N95 or equivalent mask if close physical contact is required. Minor adjustments but would go a long ways toward improving passenger health safety.

Better yet require that TSA demonstrate that their Orwellian procedures have prevented one passenger based terrorist attack directly due to TSA checkpoint passenger screening activities. If convincing proof can't be documented then reduce the invasive screening procedures.
Old Apr 27, 20, 11:46 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
but that's not just a modest proposal, it's reasonable, too.
Old Apr 28, 20, 1:48 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107 View Post
but that's not just a modest proposal, it's reasonable, too.
Oh dear; you've just rung the death knell on the government taking it up . . . .
gsoltso likes this.
Old May 3, 20, 12:35 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I wonder are pax still able to opt out and go for patdown at checkpoints?
Old May 3, 20, 5:01 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon View Post
I wonder are pax still able to opt out and go for patdown at checkpoints?
Feel free to try and report back. I suggest LGA or EWR as a starting point.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old May 4, 20, 6:54 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, US Dirt
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Feel free to try and report back. I suggest LGA or EWR as a starting point.
Has anyone actually been on a flight since the Covid insanity arrived in the US? Are they even using WBI at all or have they returned to 100% WTMD and wand? It seems like the high amount of touching required to resolve WBI alarms is incompatible with the current health guidelines?
Spiff and chollie like this.
Old May 4, 20, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfunk138 View Post
Has anyone actually been on a flight since the Covid insanity arrived in the US? Are they even using WBI at all or have they returned to 100% WTMD and wand? It seems like the high amount of touching required to resolve WBI alarms is incompatible with the current health guidelines?
You can pretty well bet that if it's the wrong thing to do then TSA is doing it!
Spiff, iluv2fly and chollie like this.
Old May 5, 20, 2:52 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfunk138 View Post
I flew last week, a one-day roundtrip. WTMD only in the non-PreCheck lane (singular). PreCheck was closed. No shortage of male and female TSOs standing around to run the WBI sitting right there. They were not too busy, believe me. They gave the lady in front of me with a metal watch then shoes that had metal more than two tries. That was EWR on the way in. On the way out, I had a "random" in ORD in the (open) PreCheck lane. It was a swab, not WBI. Randoms are usually WBI at ORD.

They clearly don't want to get near people (not that most normal TSOs liked that part of the job before COVID-19, but apparently, they are avoiding that part of the job now like, well . . . the plague).
Old May 6, 20, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Won't this be fun:

We’re urging the TSA to begin temperature scans as part of the screening process at the checkpoints,'' Kelly said in an interview with "CBS This Morning."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...es/5174300002/
Old May 6, 20, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
TSA doing passenger temperature checks is outside of their security function. If the individual airlines want to perform this function then have at it.
Spiff, chollie and rolling_stone like this.
Old May 6, 20, 7:53 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
TSA doing passenger temperature checks is outside of their security function. If the individual airlines want to perform this function then have at it.
Bolding mine: Just like they arenít supposed to look for illegal drugs and large amounts of cash and I canít wait for the thermometer to break or malfunction and folks are refused entry into the insecure area
chollie likes this.
Old May 6, 20, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie View Post
Bolding mine: Just like they arenít supposed to look for illegal drugs and large amounts of cash and I canít wait for the thermometer to break or malfunction and folks are refused entry into the insecure area
Wonder if part of TSA training is extinguishing pants fires, they surely have plenty of that happening.

If checking people for fever is truly important then it needs to happen at every entry door leading into the terminal, employee and passenger alike. That clearly is not a TSA function.
Spiff, chollie, petaluma1 and 1 others like this.
Old May 8, 20, 12:07 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Time for the entire TSA system/experience to go

I've posted in another thread and maintain my position that covid-19 is both the opportunity and the right time to basically get rid of TSA as we have known it for 19 years. Time for the entire TSA system/experience to go

Death by covid is a bigger boogeyman than 9/11. I'm not checking the math, but I assume covid has killed more people in NY in the last month than aviation-related terrorism has killed worldwide since the Wright Brothers flew in 1903.

The proposals in this thread are a start, but why not:

Precheck for everyone?

No more touching IDs starting immediately. Star with putting up plexiglass for pax to hold up ID for visual look. Then either proceed to abolishing ID checks (sane but unlikely) or zero-contact biometric ID checks that are free, privacy aware, and have a reasonable no-penalty alternative for those who cannot use them (i.e., holding up their picture ID for no-contact visual inspection by a screener through a plexiglass window).

NoS as an opt-in option for those who can't use WTMD or alarm WTMD, but never for primary screening due to high false alarm rate.

Passenger option to unpack/repack bags that alarm and send them back through x-ray (in a dedicated x-ray lane for secondary screening) to resolve most ambiguous bag alarms. (instead of TSOs <touching> your stuff.)

TSA should have an official, preferably legislatively mandated, goal of zero face-to-face or physical contact with at least 99% of passengers and their belongings. If 99.9% is feasible, that would be even better.
Spiff, chollie, Boggie Dog and 2 others like this.

Last edited by TWA884; May 8, 20 at 2:11 pm Reason: Offensive/derisive/derogatory language which is not permitted in this forum per the sticky thread.
Old May 9, 20, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
Bolding mine: Just like they aren’t supposed to look for illegal drugs and large amounts of cash and I can’t wait for the thermometer to break or malfunction and folks are refused entry into the insecure area
When you combine the unbridled authority of the TSA enabled by the PATRIOT Act and the unbridled authorities of 56 governors and one mayor enabled by a number of federal and state laws to "protect" their residents from contagious diseases and everything else, anything is possible.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: