Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Did the SSSS procedure change due to coronavirus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did the SSSS procedure change due to coronavirus?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The SSSS and some other TSA procedures did indeed get sort of modified in practice at least a bit as a result of this virus situation. For example, the swabs used for running ETDs are now always to be changed between each passenger screened so as to not cross-contaminate different passengers’ screened baggage.

I briefly viewed a list of other indicated changes pursued by the TSA for this situation, and I’ll try to get around to seeing where else they are applicable and then get back here to posting about them.
The swab change is an across the board change taken as an attempt to prevent possible cross contamination. They have also added mask advisements and glove changes, but those are across the board, not specifically part of the SSSS screening.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gsoltso
The swab change is an across the board change taken as an attempt to prevent possible cross contamination. They have also added mask advisements and glove changes, but those are across the board, not specifically part of the SSSS screening.
The list of “changes” I saw were indeed not limited to SSSS even as it touched upon that too. I am going to get around to putting up a summary of what I read on the “changes” for this virus situation.
gsoltso likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Are people being forced to remove their face masks while going through security? If not, are they using metal detectors as default now, or are they ignoring the alarms from the <whole body scanners>?

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 20, 2020 at 10:23 am Reason: FT Rule 12.3: Inflammatory / unnecessarily provocative term.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by catocony
Are people being forced to remove their face masks while going through security? If not, are they using metal detectors as default now, or are they ignoring the alarms from the <whole body scanners>?
The last information I had about masks was the same as before the beer flu. At TDC, verification that the person standing in front of you is the same as the person on the ID, so they may ask you to lower it for confirmation of identity, but masks (medical styled) have been allowed through checkpoints for as long as I can remember.

I have no new information on AIT screening, there may be some changes, but I am unaware of them at this moment.*

*Just so you know, even if I were aware of changes, without publication of that info by HQ, I would be unable to comment one way or the other*

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 20, 2020 at 10:24 am Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
so they may ask you to lower it for confirmation of identity,
So they want you to do the one thing you shouldn't be doing -- touch your mask. This potentially contaminates it unless you sanitize your hands prior.
Spiff and GUWonder like this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The last information I had about masks was the same as before the beer flu. At TDC, verification that the person standing in front of you is the same as the person on the ID, so they may ask you to lower it for confirmation of identity, but masks (medical styled) have been allowed through checkpoints for as long as I can remember.

I have no new information on AIT screening, there may be some changes, but I am unaware of them at this moment.*

*Just so you know, even if I were aware of changes, without publication of that info by HQ, I would be unable to comment one way or the other*

Beer flu?

If a person is wearing a mask that has been contaminated with a virus the last thing to do is move it then put back in position. Requiring a person to do so fully demonstrates TSA's total lack of understanding of the epidemic the world is dealing with. Goes for SSSS as well for other flyers. TSA has never clearly stated why ID matters if the screening process is sufficiently robust to detect threat items. TSA's mission is to detect WEI, not individuals.
Spiff and chollie like this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Beer flu?.
Beer flu = "corona" virus
gsoltso likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
Beer flu = "corona" virus
Haven't heard that term used for a deadly world wide virus and feel it disrespects those people who have suffered or died.
chollie likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Haven't heard that term used for a deadly world wide virus and feel it disrespects those people who have suffered or died.
An elderly Congressman from Alaska refers to COVID-19 as such.

I don't plan on flying anytime soon, but if I were and were asked to remove my mask, I would make sure to cough a lot after doing so.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catocony
An elderly Congressman from Alaska refers to COVID-19 as such.

I don't plan on flying anytime soon, but if I were and were asked to remove my mask, I would make sure to cough a lot after doing so.
I would say the exact same thing to the Congressman.
chollie likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Early in the developing pandemic (mid-Jan to late-Feb) before most of the world was given any substantial evidence of the impending scale, impact and suffering the virus originating from China was going to inflict upon the planet, there were lots of jokes and "memes" about the popular beer from Mexico and the virus; it made all the late-night talk shows. Even some conspiracy theories on cause and effect were advanced that actually had a negative impact on sales for the cerveceria that produces the drink. How long ago that all seems....
gsoltso likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Early in the developing pandemic (mid-Jan to late-Feb) before most of the world was given any substantial evidence of the impending scale, impact and suffering the virus originating from China was going to inflict upon the planet, there were lots of jokes and "memes" about the popular beer from Mexico and the virus; it made all the late-night talk shows. Even some conspiracy theories on cause and effect were advanced that actually had a negative impact on sales for the cerveceria that produces the drink. How long ago that all seems....
Don't really care how the term came about it's still disrespectful.
chollie likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 2:24 pm

There have been a ton of memes, jokes and videos making the rounds since this began.

I have a healthy respect for what is going on with the current pandemic, I am following the suggestions of the scientific community (at least the measures typically seen as a basic consensus). I am taking additional steps because I have some high risk family members. I have family members that have been exposed, even a couple that have actually contracted this virus, so there is a personal impact from it. I also have a pretty broad sense of humor, colored by time in the Army, Law Enforcement and other experiences that make different things humorous. I default to things I find humorous in conversations - public and private. To take my commentary as anything other than humorous commentary, is looking for nits to pick.

Sadly, you are also correct about how long ago it feels. I think I may have aged 5 years in the last 2 months.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There have been a ton of memes, jokes and videos making the rounds since this began.

I have a healthy respect for what is going on with the current pandemic, I am following the suggestions of the scientific community (at least the measures typically seen as a basic consensus). I am taking additional steps because I have some high risk family members. I have family members that have been exposed, even a couple that have actually contracted this virus, so there is a personal impact from it. I also have a pretty broad sense of humor, colored by time in the Army, Law Enforcement and other experiences that make different things humorous. I default to things I find humorous in conversations - public and private. To take my commentary as anything other than humorous commentary, is looking for nits to pick.

Sadly, you are also correct about how long ago it feels. I think I may have aged 5 years in the last 2 months.
Any TSA screening procedure that requires the traveler to break recommended personal safety protocols needs to be revisited, even those people subjected to SSSS screening. Being flippant about a disease that has, so far, impacted over 800,000 people and killed over 47,000 in just the U.S. alone is just not appropriate at this time. I have a wicked good sense of humor also, so if this is nit picking then I'm a happy nit picker.
Spiff and chollie like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.