Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA will now allow up to 12 oz of hand sanitizer

TSA will now allow up to 12 oz of hand sanitizer

Old Mar 16, 20, 10:10 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Nothing like a flammable gel suddenly being safe enough to fly.
That stuff is like poor mans Napalm. I have seen... activities with hand sanitizer that are interesting to watch (thank you YouTube).
Old Mar 16, 20, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr View Post
I think for TSA all liquids could potentially be explosives, but since most sanitizers have "pumps"--that makes them OK. From blurbs on TV toilet paper and liquid sanitzers are in super short supply in many stores that TSA is allowing them may be a moot point.
Yeah, that's true. I've never seen any spray attachments on bottles of dihydrogen monoxide. But, dihydrogen monoxide is often hidden in these devices:

Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 2:32 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much View Post
Yeah, that's true. I've never seen any spray attachments on bottles of dihydrogen monoxide. But, dihydrogen monoxide is often hidden in these devices:

I have smuggled much dihydrogen monoxide in these myself, and even a Super Soaker or two... It can have a large impact on flames...

(I see what you did there)
Old Mar 17, 20, 4:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
I think for TSA all liquids could potentially be explosives, but since most sanitizers have "pumps"--that makes them OK. From blurbs on TV toilet paper and liquid sanitzers are in super short supply in many stores that TSA is allowing them may be a moot point.
Hand sanitizers are sold out at at many traditional retail stores in US and in Europe. I have many bottles of alcohol-based hand sanitizers in bottles that hold 500ml or more, and not all of them have pumps. Even as I'm still in one or more of the exempted categories for the various travel bans, I just don't have as many flights planned as used to be the case to see how the hand sanitizer transport would work any differently in practice now than used to be the case earlier.

It's possible to make bottles of anything explode, under some conditions, but the TSA doesn't ban all empty bottles. Now if only 3.2oz bottles were harder to explode than 12 oz bottles, would that mean that 12 oz bottles are allowed but 3 oz bottles are not? With the TSA banning see-thru plastic water guns that hold 3.2oz of water or less but sometimes allowing the large bottles of hand sanitizer with big flame signs on their warning labels, I guess this should be chalked up to weird TSA policies and practices being par for the TSA course.
Old Mar 18, 20, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
I don't get it! Are they allowed? I thought they don't allowed to bring hand sanitizer at security. When it did happen? Did they relaxed the policy?
Old Mar 18, 20, 12:44 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Check TSA.gov:

Medical Exemptions

TSA is allowing passengers to bring liquid hand sanitizer containers up to 12 ounces to be permitted in carry-on bags until further notice. Passengers can expect that these containers larger than the standard allowance of 3.4 ounces of liquids permitted through a checkpoint will need to be screened separately, which will add some time to their checkpoint screening experience.
N830MH likes this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 2:27 am

With flammable hand sanitizer being given a medical exemption, why aren't 12 oz of water in water bottles given the same "medical exemption"? Being properly hydrated is one way to reduce susceptibility to infections and complications from infections, but the TSA seems to be still on a drive to frustrate the transport of passengers' filled water bottles at TSA screening checkpoints. And the TSA ban on filled bottles of water seems to be still driving people to drink from shared water fountains, to buy overpriced bottles of water or even re-use bottles of water that haven't been washed and dried properly -- and that isn't a great way to help passengers protect themselves from infection risk. The TSA policy change with regard to a greater allowance for passenger hand sanitizer to get airside seems to be a PR stunt when the TSA is still doing so many other things that are adverse to positive health outcomes.
Spiff and chollie like this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA allowing hand sanitizer is a good thing and demonstrates that TSA has the ability and capacity to screen these items. How, in a few weeks/months can they reverse course when the safety of these products have been demonstrated? Same goes for water and other LGA's, TSA can screen these things. They're just lazy!

TSA is a PR stunt!
Spiff and chollie like this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Check TSA.gov:

Got it. Thanks TWA884.

now I can understand that. I am sure they can allowed to bring hand sanitizers at security. There's no problem at all.
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:08 pm

I received a call today from a TSA manager at DEN. She introduced herself, said I was 100% correct and apologized for my experience. She didn't make any excuses nor try to play the "inconsistent policy application is a feature, not a bug" card. She said she would remind TSA staff in DEN of the policy and even offered to buy me a bottle of hand sanitizer. (which I politely declined). I must say I was impressed by the speed in which TSA responded and the sincerity of her response.
TWA884 and flatdawgs like this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad you got a response from TSA. While I know you wouldn't be told of specific corrective actions taken I hope some TSA screeners were written up for not complying with policy. The bigger issue is that TSA has demonstrated over time that implementing fast changing policy is a problem. Somehow that needs to change. If a TSA screener can't comply with stated policy they should be fired, government employee or not!
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Glad you got a response from TSA. While I know you wouldn't be told of specific corrective actions taken I hope some TSA screeners were written up for not complying with policy. The bigger issue is that TSA has demonstrated over time that implementing fast changing policy is a problem. Somehow that needs to change. If a TSA screener can't comply with stated policy they should be fired, government employee or not!
Right! They could fired from TSA. They did not complying the policy. Yes, TSA screeners will write up warnings. They will get a disciplinary action.
Old Mar 19, 20, 7:10 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
"Until further notice." I wonder if they will actually re-impost the 311 rule on hand sanitizer when the crisis abates in the US, or if they will simply leave it in place permanently to reduce the cognitive burden on screeners.

I'd love to see this exception stay permanent. Maybe it'll be the first step toward eliminating the 311 rule entirely.
Spiff and Boggie Dog like this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
"Until further notice." I wonder if they will actually re-impost the 311 rule on hand sanitizer when the crisis abates in the US, or if they will simply leave it in place permanently to reduce the cognitive burden on screeners.

I'd love to see this exception stay permanent. Maybe it'll be the first step toward eliminating the 311 rule entirely.
I have no doubt that they will retain the 3-1-1 restrictions — even after this coronavirus situation is no longer intense — and/or just keep playing a PR game around “medical exemption”. I would love to eat crow on this one, but I have no doubt crow isn’t on the TSA menu for me.
Spiff and Boggie Dog like this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bwiflyer01 View Post
I received a call today from a TSA manager at DEN. She introduced herself, said I was 100% correct and apologized for my experience. She didn't make any excuses nor try to play the "inconsistent policy application is a feature, not a bug" card. She said she would remind TSA staff in DEN of the policy and even offered to buy me a bottle of hand sanitizer. (which I politely declined). I must say I was impressed by the speed in which TSA responded and the sincerity of her response.
Guess it's easy when there are only 5 passengers per airplane and virtually nothing for the clerks to do.
Spiff likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: