Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Updated: REAL ID Deadline Delayed to May 7, 2025, Due to Lingering COVID-19 Impact

Updated: REAL ID Deadline Delayed to May 7, 2025, Due to Lingering COVID-19 Impact

Old May 2, 2021, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
So I have a DMV appointment coming up in a few days to apply for a RealID license. I made that appointment a while ago, prior to the most recent extension.

In preparation for the appointment (making sure I have all the documents) I read in the state FAQ that the Real ID replacement will retain the expiration date of the regular drivers license it replaces. Really? In that case it would make no sense to apply, just to have to apply again in a couple of years. Anyone know if this is accurate?
Old May 2, 2021, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I renewed my license by mail and that meant I skipped the REAL ID DL stuff yet again. The fountain of youth has come to my driving license by way of the use of the old photos on file for the by-mail license renewals.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So I have a DMV appointment coming up in a few days to apply for a RealID license. I made that appointment a while ago, prior to the most recent extension.

In preparation for the appointment (making sure I have all the documents) I read in the state FAQ that the Real ID replacement will retain the expiration date of the regular drivers license it replaces. Really? In that case it would make no sense to apply, just to have to apply again in a couple of years. Anyone know if this is accurate?
There's no universal commonality across all states in this regard. You'll have to see what the situation is for your particular state, or if what you read is accurate and representative of things still for your state DMV.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 2, 2021 at 9:02 pm
Old May 3, 2021, 1:16 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe in many states that unless it is 'time' to renew, they don't extend your license. In that case there wouldn't be much of a purpose unless you just want a gold star like a kindergartener.

I don't plan to apply until I have to go in person for some reason as there is really no point if you have a passport card or TT card. I wouldn't exactly seek out a 'pleasure trip' to the DMV; for me, this might mean a 2022 renewal by mail since I think I renewed in person in 2018. That would mean a REAL ID in person in 2026.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Ari
I believe in many states that unless it is 'time' to renew, they don't extend your license. In that case there wouldn't be much of a purpose unless you just want a gold star like a kindergartener.

I don't plan to apply until I have to go in person for some reason as there is really no point if you have a passport card or TT card.
I have, of course, a passport and also a passport card and a GE card. The primary reason for getting a RealID DL was to not have to change my domestic travel routine. My primary wallet always has my drivers license, and my carry-on has my GE card as a backup with spare credit cards. My passport and passport card stay safely at home unless I travel internationally. My modified routine would be to put the GE card in my primary wallet and put the passport card as a backup in the carry-on.

So yeah, admittedly not a strong reason. But making the trip to the DMV isn’t a big deal here; I pass it four times a week, and getting an appointment was easy. And I was okay with renewing after six years instead of eight.

But of course I have zero interest in paying now and then again in 2023 when my current license expires, a few weeks after the new and current RealID deadline.

Last edited by notquiteaff; May 3, 2021 at 8:32 am
Old May 3, 2021, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
But of course I have zero interest in paying now and then again in 2023 when my current license expires, a few weeks after the new and current RealID deadline.
If you're in Oregon, they specifically advise you to consider waiting until your renewal to apply for Real ID:
Frequently Asked Questions

Cost for Real ID

​What is the cost of a Real ID card?

Customers pay the standard fee​ for replacement, renewal or original issuance of a driver license or identification card, as well as an additional Real ID fee of $30. This fee is based on the cost of issuing Real ID cards and will be charged at every Real ID issuance.

I recently renewed my driver license. Will I need to pay again if I want to get a Real ID license before my next renewal?

If you choose to replace your current driver license with a Real ID driver license, you must apply in person at a DMV office. You will pay the fee for a replacement driver license, as well as the Real ID fee. Your card will keep the same expiration date. You may want to wait to apply for a Real ID until your next renewal, ​and use another acceptable document, like a passport, for boarding domestic flights.​
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
If you're in Oregon, they specifically advise you to consider waiting until your renewal to apply for Real ID:

Right, that’s the exact page I was looking at. It seems a bit weird that they don’t extend the license expiration date. There are plenty of people who don’t have an alternative ID and would have needed to get the drivers license replacement.

In any case, I just cancelled the DMV appointment and will wait.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by TWA884
I'll avoid EDL until they quit issuing non-EDLs. I already have NEXUS and a passport card, no need to spend the extra on an EDL.
Spiff and GUWonder like this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:09 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
California: Free Upgrade to Real ID:
The California Department of Motor Vehicles announced this week that it would be offering free REAL ID upgrades to Californians who renewed or received a driver's license or identification card during the pandemic.

The extended deadline is now May 3, 2023, for U.S. citizens to show a federally approved document, such as a REAL ID or a passport, in order to board a domestic flight. These will also be required to enter military bases and federal facilities.

You can start your application for a free upgrade online which is available through the end of 2021 and then schedule an appointment at a DMV office near you.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
Are there states that still aren't issuing Real IDs? I thought all were doing it with renewals anyway, and most states require renewal every 5 years or less.
California issues real ID if you present the required documentation. That said, anyone can renew his/her existing ID without presenting the documentation, and they will receive a non-compliant ID that is sufficient to operate a motor vehicle. In fact my renewal application was auto-approved upon payment of the fee. The next time I visit DMV will be for a required eye test and maybe a written test, but that could be years off.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobs

California is like this.
I did this when I already had a valid California DL and when CA started first offering Real IDs. The representative told me that I would have to pay the fee again when the original expiration date passed. I shrugged and went through the process to get my Real ID. Not that it matters too much because I stopped using my DL as a form of ID to get through security and started using other forms of acceptable ID (which I frequently use anyway) that doesn't have my address on it.

I renewed my Real ID last year via mail and didn't send in payment because renewal notice the CA DMV sent had no information on how much I needed to pay, I found out later it was $38 after I decided to pay online since I didn't hear back from them. I eventually got hand written note and renewal form returned to me stating that I needed to pay $38 after I had already paid online.

I only got Real ID because I got worried about heading toward two tier society, one with Real ID and the other without and would rather not find out if it turned out to be true. There was this big push before the pandemic to get Real ID and it sounded like a split was going to develop out of this so I decided to go for it and not worry about it later.

I'll think to see if I should renew my CA DL again the next time I renew...

Last edited by i0wnj00; Sep 16, 2021 at 8:19 pm
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by i0wnj00
California is like this.
I did this when I already had a valid California DL and when CA started first offering Real IDs. The representative told me that I would have to pay the fee again when the original expiration date passed. I shrugged and went through the process to get my Real ID.
I ended up cancelling my appointment since I still have other card sized RealIDs (e.g., passport card, global entry) and will get a RealID DL when the current one expires in a couple of years.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Real ID Extended Once Again

Real ID deadline extended again to 2025

The Department of Homeland Security announced Monday an extension of the Real ID deadline until May 7, 2025. The deadline had been May 3, 2023, but needed to be extended again due to the lingering impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
​​​​​​​Does the number of Real ID extensions suggest that Real ID actually has no purpose?
seawolf, Spiff, Pingtung and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Real ID deadline extended again to 2025

Does the number of Real ID extensions suggest that Real ID actually has no purpose?
Why doesn't DHS just admit that REAL ID is a failure and move on? The scam was supposed to go into effect in 2008. Now it's 15 years later and it's been put off yet another 2 years, for a total of 17 years. I predicted the "deadline" would be extended from 2023 and can practically guarantee that it will be put off again in 2025.
Spiff, chollie and zmb like this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Why doesn't DHS just admit that REAL ID is a failure and move on? The scam was supposed to go into effect in 2008. Now it's 15 years later and it's been put off yet another 2 years, for a total of 17 years. I predicted the "deadline" would be extended from 2023 and can practically guarantee that it will be put off again in 2025.
Even if DHS admitted this failure the Congress and President made Real ID a law. Guess who would have to agree to undo this mess?
Old Dec 5, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
​​​​Does the number of Real ID extensions suggest that Real ID actually has no purpose?
Yes, yes it does. If it was really that big a security upgrade it would have been implemented and everyone would have just had to deal with it.
N830MH likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.