Getting tired of no bins in Precheck

Old Nov 30, 19, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP
Asking for a bin when the Precheck lane doesn't provide any

Increasingly, I'm seeing Precheck lanes not stocked with bins. This makes some sense -- the whole point of Precheck is not having to remove your laptop, shoes, or toiletries.

During this winter season I find myself putting my jacket directly on the conveyor belt, which is visibly unhygienic. I've sent my jacket through the x-ray only to find it come out the other end with a bunch of dust and lint.

Would it be reasonable to ask for a bin, even when they're not normally available in the Precheck lane? I imagine a bin could be procured from a non-Precheck lane, but not sure how practical this is.
Old Nov 30, 19, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
Increasingly, I'm seeing Precheck lanes not stocked with bins. This makes some sense -- the whole point of Precheck is not having to remove your laptop, shoes, or toiletries.
Not new. No bins in PreCheck lanes for at least a year. They do provide the little circular dishes for change/keys/phones.

During this winter season I find myself putting my jacket directly on the conveyor belt, which is visibly unhygienic. I've sent my jacket through the x-ray only to find it come out the other end with a bunch of dust and lint.
Yes; happens all the time.

Would it be reasonable to ask for a bin, even when they're not normally available in the Precheck lane? I imagine a bin could be procured from a non-Precheck lane, but not sure how practical this is.
No; don't bother asking. I see people getting turned down making this request almost every week. They don't want bins in the PC lane. Slows everything down, and are not really necessary.

I recommend putting your items inside your bag(s) prior to sending them through the x-ray. Set your jacket on top.
Old Nov 30, 19, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, the “jacket on top” method typically fails by the time my stuff has passed through the lead curtains of the x-ray.
Old Nov 30, 19, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You may simply find it easier to use the standard line as the entire point of getting rid of the large bins was to speed up the system, something pretty much everybody appreciates.

Barring that, bring a trash bag, stick your coat in it before the checkpoint and run that through the machine. You can either toss the bag or reuse it as it doesn't really matter that it's got small tears in it.

It's all about choices.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 11:29 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Most bins are dirtier than the conveyor belt. People put shoes in them.

At least the belt is upside down 50% of the time to shake the dirt off.
rolling_stone likes this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 4:47 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Why ask for bins when you can bring your own large plastic bags to stuff things inside? Thatís what I do.

The PreCheck minibins are not used by me at all. My stuff (at least of the non-shoes sort) goes into my regular cabin baggage or inside plastic bags that I always have at the screening checkpoints because larger bins arenít generally conveniently available and because I am no fan of dirty shoe stuff and dirty baggage stuff getting onto my bulky coats and other stuff.

Avoiding the PreCheck lane to get larger bins for use during the screening process? I would never do that. Plastic bags are my friend in the PreCheck lanes too.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold.
Getting tired of no bins in Precheck

Am I the only one who doesn't like my jacket, sport coat or other divested outwear being used as a ghetto belt cleaner in the pre-check lane? Last week I ended up with a dirty great line of crud down a formal black jacket after I was asked to remove it. I asked the dimwitted bag pusher about 10 times for a bin, was told every time just put it on the belt. Just petty, timesome games from the blue shirts. Complaint was lodged with the 3 striper but I'm sure it was filed in the round filing cabinet.
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:59 pm

Bins take space on the belt. Space takes time. Time is one of the key reasons to pay for Pre-Check (if not the key reason). There is a very good reason for the affirmative decision not to place bins in the Pre-Check lanes and I can't say that the issue has been polled, but in my view anything delaying is bad.

To the extent that I have a large piece of outerwear, it gets placed on and strapped to the top of my carry on. I learned that after watching many, many others do the same thing.
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, MH Enrich Platinum
You think those bins were clean??
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Bins take space on the belt. Space takes time. [...] To the extent that I have a large piece of outerwear, it gets placed on and strapped to the top of my carry on.
Strapping your jacket to the carry-on takes time too. And there's usually about 2-3 people in line for the belt. If each of them uses a bin that may add a matter of seconds, not even a single minute. The time argument just doesn't hold water.

Originally Posted by zebranz View Post
You think those bins were clean??
I know that when my jacket's in a bin, it's less likely to come out the other end covered in filth.
Old Feb 14, 20, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Though jackets could be worn in Pre Check lanes.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:14 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I always leave room in my carry on for my jacket. It goes in there because 99% of the time I do not need it while in the airport or on the plane. Doing that just makes things easier.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:23 pm

Strapping your jacket to the carry-on takes time too. And there's usually about 2-3 people in line for the belt. If each of them uses a bin that may add a matter of seconds, not even a single minute. The time argument just doesn't hold water.

I know that when my jacket's in a bin, it's less likely to come out the other end covered in filth.
It only takes time if you get to the Pre-Check belt not ready to send you and your stuff through.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Okay, and that time's not worth optimizing. The negligible time savings is offset by dissatisfaction expressed by me and others on this thread, plus the back-and-forth between passengers and TSA regarding where the bins are.
Old Feb 14, 20, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

One thing just came to mind. At one of EWR Terminal C's checkpoints (might only be accessible by CLEAR) there are bins on the right hand side only.

So if you feel that bins delay you, use the x-ray belt on the left.
If you need to use a bin, use the x-ray belt on the right. (This belt actually requires everything, even your roller carry-on, to be in a bin; the bins are oversized.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: