Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

'TSA destroys prominent Malian musician's custom-made instrument'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'TSA destroys prominent Malian musician's custom-made instrument'

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Post 'TSA destroys prominent Malian musician's custom-made instrument'

Rendering it safe to fly?

In an earlier Facebook post about the incident, Sissoko, 52, said he discovered the instrument in pieces on Tuesday, at his home in Paris. He said he had boarded the flight on Feb. 2. and arrived in the French capital the following day.

It was accompanied by a note in Spanish from the TSA which said: “Smart security saves time.”
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Racism? It's very unlikely they even knew his race.

That being said, TSA shouldn't be permitted to do anything destructive, period.
gsoltso likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For those of us who don't click on random links, what was the routing? If it was Mali to Paris, TSA shouldn't have been involved.

It also seems strange that "TSA" left a note in Spanish if the flight before which the inspection occurred wasn't originating (or possibly terminating) in a Spanish creaking country.

BTW, when I've gotten the printed TSA notice that my checked bag had been opened for inspection, I think it's been bilingual English-Spanish. IIRC there was no phrase to the effect that smart security saves time
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For those of us who don't click on random links, what was the routing? If it was Mali to Paris, TSA shouldn't have been involved.

It also seems strange that "TSA" left a note in Spanish if the flight before which the inspection occurred wasn't originating (or possibly terminating) in a Spanish creaking country.

BTW, when I've gotten the printed TSA notice that my checked bag had been opened for inspection, I think it's been bilingual English-Spanish. IIRC there was no phrase to the effect that smart security saves time
Looks like he went through JFK and it had a TSA inspection notice inside.
Spiff likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Details about the destruction were posted on luso mnthali's twitter page:

Spiff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.