Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 11, 20, 1:11 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rrgg
Wiki Link
  • Existing NY GE members are not affected until the expiration of their current membership (renewals are blocked)
  • Rule applies to:
    • Vehicle exports
    • Applications and renewals for GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST
  • Separate precheck memberships (not connected to GE, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) are not affected
  • Fees will be refunded, according to CFB officer.
  • Letter from DHS website
  • DHS statement Feb. 6
  • The following is from this article: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/glo...s-affected-ttp
    • 86,000 people will be "affected immediately...including those with pending applications and those up for renewal"
    • 800,000 people could be affected over five years
    • "[T]hose people no longer eligible for TTP who had pending applications will receive refunds"
  • Statements from the NY Attorney General

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 18, 20, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knownothing View Post
It is to prevent another Fort Hood, Ohio State or Trade Center by keeping terrorists out of the US.
It’s unclear how GE (and NY driving records) would have “prevented” any of these incidents. If going to flight school and expressing a profound disinterest in learning how to “land” isn’t a disqualification for GE then I doubt a ticket for double parking on 121st Avenue will be.

Frankly, I’m more concerned about another Oklahoma City.
Old Feb 18, 20, 9:52 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The relevant part of NYS DMV records which CBP/DHS needs to know re GE is DUI info, which would be also part of court records, to which NYS didn't restrict access.
But the bottom line for entry into GE (definitely for new applicants) is the in person interview: CBP agent: "why are you applying for GE", applicant: "I'm planning on fling planes into the WTC".
Old Feb 18, 20, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
How does banning NY residents from GE prevent “another Ft Hood, Ohio State or Trade Center” when DHS (and/or its constituents’ predecessors) at the time of “Ft Hood, Ohio State or Trade Center” had access to data of the sort it claims to have been cut off from this year for NY? Scare stories may be extra fun at around Halloween especially, but I’ve yet to see how such scare stories have relevance to the DHS ban against NY-residing applicants for GE and the other TTPs being used by DHS against NY and its residents.
I didn't read his comment this way. I took it to mean that the GE program lets CBP process entrants more quickly which frees up resources to focus on non-GE entrants. That extra time/resource benefit is what helps find the bad apple. If NY is no longer in GE, then CBP has fewer total time/resources to check entrants. (P.S. With this you could also argue DHS has made things worse for themselves.)

Last edited by rrgg; Feb 18, 20 at 11:49 am
Old Feb 18, 20, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
I didn't read his comment this way. I took it to mean that the GE program lets CBP process entrants more quickly which frees up resources to focus on non-GE entrants. That extra time/resource benefit is what helps find the bad apple. If NY is no longer in GE, then CBP has fewer total time/resources to check entrants. (P.S. With this you could also argue DHS has made things worse for themselves.)
That’s a generous attempt at spin control. But even if allowing for such moving of the goal posts after shooting, then your post is implicitly making the argument that DHS is undermining its own efforts at providing security at the borders by banning GE application submission by and approval for NY residents. Therefore your post should be considered a criticism of this DHS ban against NY and NY residents by those who proclaim that GE provides security at the borders. Are you actually opposed to this DHS ban against NY and NY residents applying for GE? I am. Can the same be said by the poster who brought up Ft Hood et al?

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 18, 20 at 12:40 pm
Old Feb 18, 20, 1:47 pm

Maybe you missed the last sentence? It basically agrees with what you’ve said, that DHS is hindering themselves with this action against NY, if the goal is what knownothing stated. I was only trying to answer the question of how GE helps DHS’ goals in general.
Old Feb 18, 20, 2:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
How does banning NY residents from GE prevent “another Ft Hood, Ohio State or Trade Center” when DHS (and/or its constituents’ predecessors) at the time of “Ft Hood, Ohio State or Trade Center” had access to data of the sort it claims to have been cut off from this year for NY?
Well, the Fort Hood massacre was committed by a natural-born American (from Virginia) who passed the background checks required to be a US Army officer. Perhaps the poster's argument is that if the government verified the make and model of his car with the DMV, the country would be safer?
CZBB likes this.
Old Feb 18, 20, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL FO
Received this automated email just now: Dear Trusted Traveler Applicant,

Thank you for your interest in Trusted Traveler Programs of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Trusted Traveler Programs are voluntary and available to travelers that go through a comprehensive vetting. Applicants found to be ineligible for participation may still be permitted to enter into the United States although they will not be permitted to use the Trusted Traveler dedicated lanes.

We regret to inform you that your application has been cancelled for the following reason:

You do not meet the program eligibility requirements because you have listed the state of New York as your current residence. At this time, CBP is unable to verify certain information connected to your application.

CBP is committed to the fair, impartial, and respectful treatment of all members of the trade and traveling public, and has memorialized its commitment to nondiscrimination in existing policies, including the February 2014 CBP Policy on Nondiscrimination in Law Enforcement Activities and all other Administered Programs.

no mention of a refund (and I have not yet received one)
LOCommish likes this.
Old Feb 19, 20, 3:08 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps someone would like to let them keep the fee, appeal to the ombudsman, wait, appeal to the commissioner, wait and then appeal the final agency action to a USCA?
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:05 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Perhaps someone would like to let them keep the fee, appeal to the ombudsman, wait, appeal to the commissioner, wait and then appeal the final agency action to a USCA?
But if all of these are rejected, the CC chargeback period will have elapsed.
Old Feb 19, 20, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by hoth300 View Post
Received this automated email just now: Dear Trusted Traveler Applicant,

Thank you for your interest in Trusted Traveler Programs of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Trusted Traveler Programs are voluntary and available to travelers that go through a comprehensive vetting. Applicants found to be ineligible for participation may still be permitted to enter into the United States although they will not be permitted to use the Trusted Traveler dedicated lanes.

We regret to inform you that your application has been cancelled for the following reason:

You do not meet the program eligibility requirements because you have listed the state of New York as your current residence. At this time, CBP is unable to verify certain information connected to your application.

CBP is committed to the fair, impartial, and respectful treatment of all members of the trade and traveling public, and has memorialized its commitment to nondiscrimination in existing policies, including the February 2014 CBP Policy on Nondiscrimination in Law Enforcement Activities and all other Administered Programs.

Same.
Old Feb 19, 20, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I hate again to be the one to make an obvious point, but it is your post that "change[d] the subject" and peculiarly brought up flying in this thread about "Global Entry". (emphasis in original)
?? Ari. Maybe I have had one too many martini's tonight. The tread is titled

"Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Suspended for NY Residents"

The reason for the ban GU is state’s Green Light Law. The law restricts the Department of Motor Vehicles from sharing information with immigration agencies. NY gives driver's licenses to anyone. HS uses the DMV data to make sure they are legal immigrants. Instead of arguing, you should give HS a "thank you"

We now see that New York has caved: Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said on Wednesday that he would seek to give federal officials access to state driving records for applicants to Global Entry

Originally Posted by hoth300 View Post
You do not meet the program eligibility requirements
Question: If you submit and are turned down for an arrest record, I don't believe you get a refund. Someone at DHS read your application and you were denied. As you were forewarned that NY residents would be turned down (as you were if you had an arrest record, etc) I don't think you are owed a refund

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 19, 20 at 3:34 pm Reason: FT Rule 14; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Feb 19, 20, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL FO
Question: If you submit and are turned down for an arrest record, I don't believe you get a refund. Someone at DHS read your application and you were denied. As you were forewarned that NY residents would be turned down (as you were if you had an arrest record, etc) I don't think you are owed a refund
I applied in August, received CA in December, interview scheduled for the Sunday after the ban was announced, application was simply deleted from the system without any communication to me personally. All announcements about this ban (including this post on the CBP website) have mentioned that those in my situation (and even those who have applied but did not received Conditional Approval) would receive a refund. The email I received, which is the first communication I have received from DHS about this issue, does not mention a refund... nor have I yet received one.

There was no "forewarning".
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 19, 20, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Hoth: I would think that the replies posted here are just wishful thinking - although the amount may make a difference. But they might argue that it took an agent time to read and decide on your application and that is the reason for the fee?
Old Feb 19, 20, 4:11 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

?? Ari. Maybe I have had one too many martini's tonight. The tread is titled

"Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Suspended for NY Residents"

The reason for the ban GU is state’s Green Light Law. The law restricts the Department of Motor Vehicles from sharing information with immigration agencies.
I should have said "flying safety". My bad. You don't have to yell.

NY gives driver's licenses to anyone.
The legally blind?

HS uses the DMV data to make sure they are legal immigrants.
Let's review The DMV data is required to verify:
  • Residency? No: LenisNexis provides more reliable and up-to-date information; DMV data is often moths or years out of date.
  • Citizenship? No: Citizenship documents and federal databases provide citizenship information; state databases are not used for this.
  • Identity? No: Biometric information is provided at enrollment; all GE applicants already have a biometric passport.
  • Criminal History? No. NCIC, INTERPOL and court databases are used for that. Non-criminal driving infractions are not TTP disqualifiers.
Now, you mention in your post that "HS uses the DMV data to make sure they are legal immigrants". Who is "they" in your post? As I just explained, "they" cannot be GE applicants as "HS" already knows the citizenship of GE applicants because all GE applicants have biometric passports that can be verified in federal government databases. So, who is "they"? By "they," do you mean the general population? Are you implying that HS is just butthurt that they don't have general access to NY's DMV data anymore, just like everyone in this thread has been saying.

Instead of arguing, you should give HS a "thank you"
It doesn't look like we're arguing, it looks like you are saying that this is about illegal immigration just like everyone is saying. You just seem to be confusing which population HS is trying to verify the immigration status of.

We now see that New York has caved: Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said on Wednesday that he would seek to give federal officials access to state driving records for applicants to Global Entry
So what? GE applicants don't care about their privacy.

The people who had their applications dumped in the mass purge were not forewarned.

Originally Posted by nrr
But if all of these are rejected, the CC chargeback period will have elapsed.
#wowflyertalk . Yes. The inability to get $100 back is obviously the biggest obstacle to getting this in front of a USCA.

Worse yet, a chargeback might reverse a credit of 100 miles. The horror. /wowflyertalk.
Old Feb 19, 20, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DHS has already said they would refund NY residents, when speaking of those NY residents whose applications were pulled by DHS following the launch of this DHS war against a NY law.

NY gives NY DLs to people whom the state thinks are resident in the state and legally qualified to drive and get a DL in NY based on material submitted by and/or on behalf of a DL applicant in NY. The average kid driving to high school in the rural Midwest of the US can’t so easily get a regular NY DL.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 19, 20 at 4:31 pm

Search this Thread