Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
  • Existing NY GE members are not affected until the expiration of their current membership (renewals are blocked)
  • Rule applies to:
    • Vehicle exports
    • Applications and renewals for GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST
  • Separate precheck memberships (not connected to GE, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) are not affected
  • Fees will be refunded, according to CFB officer.
  • Letter from DHS website
  • DHS statement Feb. 6
  • The following is from this article: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/glo...s-affected-ttp
    • 86,000 people will be "affected immediately...including those with pending applications and those up for renewal"
    • 800,000 people could be affected over five years
    • "[T]hose people no longer eligible for TTP who had pending applications will receive refunds"
  • Statements from the NY Attorney General

Print Wikipost

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by sekhmet101
"I'll give them the DMV database for trusted travelers" Doesn't this require new legislation?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
"I'll give them the DMV database for trusted travelers" Doesn't this require new legislation?
Yes.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Not that this matters anymore. I had an interview pending for April, my entire application has now been deleted - When I log in everything is gone...
I guess even if this goes through, you will have to start all over again and wait another 7 months for it to process.

Question: If you are here on a Visa, then technically your residence is still your home country. (on the blue form when you arrive: Country of Residence must be the country you come from, even if you live in the US because you are on a Non-Resident Visa)

Can you not apply for GE and have your home country address on the application? How do people who live overseas and travel to the US on Visa's get GE?

Last edited by Remi87; Feb 12, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:05 pm

Governor Cuomo of NY hinted that he may back down.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/york-gove...183947534.html

WASHINGTON, Feb 12 (Reuters) - Democratic New York Governor Andrew Cuomo suggested on Wednesday that he will make concessions to Republican President Donald Trump in a dispute over the Northeastern state’s pro-immigrant "sanctuary" policies.

Specifically, Cuomo said he would grant access to DMV records of residents who use "trusted traveler" programs that allow faster security checks at airports and other ports of entry.

"These are people who go for an in-person federal interview with all sorts of background information," Cuomo told radio host Jay Oliver, adding that he expected to meet with Trump on Thursday.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Hard to imagine DHS agreeing to this, as it would act as an invitation for other states to implement similar restrictions. Managing the waivers would also add a new layer of unwanted bureaucracy and potential liability.
I suspect that many other states already have a two tiered system. I doubt any state that issues licenses to people who are illegally present or whose presence is in a gray area (i.e. entered on a F-1 visa with D/S stamp but no longer actively taking courses at an accredited institution) allows the DHS to get at those records. The only difference here would be (1) Which category people would fall in by default and (2) Allowing people to switch categories.

It would be a good thing if all states moved toward a system where by default, the records are private UNLESS they are signed over. Similarly, we'd cut down on a lot of junk mail and other annoying things if people had to actively opt in rather than opt out. But DHS should also have a form that you sign under penalty of perjury that tells them what state(s) you are licensed in (or that you don't have any DLs). On it, you tell them what your license numbers are, if applicable, and it would mention that you are required to sign over the records as a condition of being approved for GE. And of course, lying on the form would be grounds for immediate rejection/revocation and possible legal action against you.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:01 pm

I'm one of the people with my Global Entry renewal application in. Today it's completely gone from the website, no notifications or explanation or anything. I flew on the 10th, and still had TSA PreCheck. Today I no longer have it. Wondering if I should apply for TSA PreCheck in case this lasts a while, but at the same time DHS has threatened that they could change that policy as well. I'm just praying that the lawsuit works, or that Cuomo's minimal compromise is accepted, and then that they reinstate any renewals that were pending. Otherwise this is a total mess.

Crazy thing is my wife just got approved for Global Entry, and had been waiting 7+ months, and hers was approved while mine waited for renewal.
yabadoo likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Sounds like NYS is expected to provide Federal government access to records of applicants only.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Sounds like NYS is expected to provide Federal government access to records of applicants only.
Gov. Cuomo has said that NYS is willing to provide DMV records for applicants. But DHS doesn't really want that. It wants records for illegals who have DLs. That's what is really behind this. I didn't see any reference above to a DHS mem that was leaked and that discusses how to punish -- DHS's word -- states that did not accede to their authority:

DHS Considered How To Punish States That Deny Access To Driver Records, A Memo Says
...The Jan. 27 memo, written by a top DHS official, James McCament, outlined potential options for acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf to consider in their efforts to not only obtain the driver records but to punish states like New York that cut off access to the information.

McCament offered up options such as using “friendly” states to discreetly collect information for federal immigration authorities that would otherwise be inaccessible by law. The plans also include retaliation measures against states that limit access to records, such as closing down local DHS offices, refusing to accept their state identification, cutting TSA PreCheck services, and potentially issuing subpoenas for driver's licenses provided to undocumented immigrants.
DHS does not dispute the authenticity of the memo.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This item https://news.yahoo.com/trump-links-t...215348910.html indicates how the negotiations between the state and the feds over the GE suspension for NY residents may involve something other than just DMV info.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:48 pm

Looks like Chase refunded me my $100

Anyone else?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by SirSherlockHolmes
Be careful charging back everyone, you may get blacklisted for applying for GE in the future.
Source? or did you just make that up / pure conjecture.

I wouldn’t think the government is that coordinated, and they’ll be more than happy to take $100 again when applications open back up.

Last edited by nyc_eagles; Feb 13, 2020 at 8:09 pm
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by nyc_eagles
Looks like Chase refunded me my $100

Anyone else?
Which Chase card do you have?

I got my $100 credit from Chase (one of the benefits of my CSR card) and mrsmicah got her $100 credit from Citi (one of the benefits of our Citi Prestige card) for our renewal applications last month, but we haven't gotten any other refund since our applications were disappeared.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by themicah
Which Chase card do you have?

I got my $100 credit from Chase (one of the benefits of my CSR card) and mrsmicah got her $100 credit from Citi (one of the benefits of our Citi Prestige card) for our renewal applications last month, but we haven't gotten any other refund since our applications were disappeared.
DHS/CBP is not used to do mass refunding of fees for TTPs, if they even have any much history of voluntarily refunding application fees to TTP applicants; so it’s going to be interesting to see how quickly they handle this for the many thousands of people messed up by this anti-NY move by DHS.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL
My CC charge was from May 2019. I contacted AmEx to dispute it and 72 hours later received a message that my dispute had been upheld and my account was credited.

They did add a caveat that if "TRUSTEDTRAVELER" supplied contrary information they would reverse the reversal.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
I'd argue that the DHS is waiting to see how negotiations between Trump and Cuomo go next week, if there is a compromise agreed to then in which case the ban is lifted then maybe all the applications that were conditionally approved will be visible again on the TTP portal and all that needs to be done is re-schedule the interview dates. Just hope that is the best scenario case. Having to start from scratch again will be a disaster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.