Reload this Page >

Travel&Dining

Travel Safety/Security

Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 11, 20, 1:11 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rrgg
Wiki Link
  • Existing NY GE members are not affected until the expiration of their current membership (renewals are blocked)
  • Rule applies to:
    • Vehicle exports
    • Applications and renewals for GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST
  • Separate precheck memberships (not connected to GE, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) are not affected
  • Fees will be refunded, according to CFB officer.
  • Letter from DHS website
  • DHS statement Feb. 6
  • The following is from this article: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/glo...s-affected-ttp
    • 86,000 people will be "affected immediately...including those with pending applications and those up for renewal"
    • 800,000 people could be affected over five years
    • "[T]hose people no longer eligible for TTP who had pending applications will receive refunds"
  • Statements from the NY Attorney General

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 9, 20, 8:49 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In NYS the populous areas (except Nassau County) are in the TVB system, only traffic infractions are handled by ALJs administrative law judges (generally lawyers)--plea bargaining is not permitted, serious offenses are under the COURT system. https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/traffic-violations-bureau
Old Feb 9, 20, 10:18 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE/JPNTTP/APEC/CREW
Be careful charging back everyone, you may get blacklisted for applying for GE in the future.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Feb 10, 20, 3:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SirSherlockHolmes View Post
Be careful charging back everyone, you may get blacklisted for applying for GE in the future.
While DHS may perhaps want to do that, there are laws and regulations that even DHS/CBP must follow.

Has DHS/CBP published anything that allows it to lawfully blacklist people whose TTP application fees were not paid and are yet due? Either way, given DHS has said it will be refunding fees for those whose applications were shutdown by the blacklist aimed at NY applicants, not sure what point there is in seeking a card chargeback against the TTP application fee at this point at least.
Old Feb 10, 20, 7:32 am

The thing that strikes me about this thread is that people here are unable to determine what DMV records may or may not be used in spite of the fact that they actually are GE/Trusted Traveler enrollees.

DHS doesn't tell you what data processing they are performing on enrollees, how long the data is maintained for, and whether or not subsequent data processing is occurring (or any other rules for that matter.) Without knowing that, we can't really determine if DHS is really dependent on DMV data or not.

A Trusted Traveler consents to data processing as a condition of enrollment, but has no idea what that data processing is. I find that absurd.

In regards to any legal case, the thing that comes to my mind is that the programs operate in something of a black box. It's not like a driver's license, where state law says "if you meet these characteristics, pass these tests, and pay these fees you shall be issued a driver's license. If this, this or this happens, it will be taken away from you."

These programs have a different legal structure. Law says "DHS can operate this program. It does this. DHS decides the criteria on which the status is granted or revoked." Whereas a driver's license is a statutory entitlement, this program is just a straight up privilege. They can reject you if they don't like your haircut.
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:38 am

Programs: DL
My interview was supposed to be today. I applied to renew on May 24th. Due to backlogs and volume, my tentative approval was valid through 5/24/2020. I finally managed to get a date and time that worked. Until this.

I received no info whatsoever that my application & appointment had been cancelled. No email, no regular mail. When I logged in last night, the application was gone. No further information.

I have zero faith that I will get my $100 back. They're very good at sending me "Global Entry Enrollment Interviews Offered in New Locations" emails biweekly, but zip about what matters.
Old Feb 10, 20, 10:20 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by jimbobjoex View Post
It's not like a driver's license, where state law says "if you meet these characteristics, pass these tests, and pay these fees you shall be issued a driver's license. If this, this or this happens, it will be taken away from you."
Correct. A driver's license is shall issue. There is a published list of things the person wanting the license needs to do to obtain the license as well as a published list of things that could cause the person to lose the license. For these programs, there is some discretion afforded to the issuing authority.
Old Feb 10, 20, 12:28 pm
J S

This is not the place to argue politics. However, it does seem that discussion of whether this is security-based or driven by some other factor belongs here, yes?

If so, the following three points would seem to indicate that this move is at least partially driven by a non-security factor:
a) DHS cancelled the applications of people who are already conditionally approved and only require an interview (so all checks have presumably been completed and access to driving record is neither here nor there);
b) DHS would still approve someone who lived in NY until recently but just moved to another state (thus presumably, they would approve this person even though they cannot check their driving record prior to the move); and
c) DHS will not approve a New York resident who has no driving record to check (e.g., a young child who clearly has never held a drivers license)

Just to be clear, I am not looking to discuss the politics of whether DHS should have taken this step. I just want to make sure my understanding is correct.
flatdawgs likes this.
Old Feb 10, 20, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by J S View Post
Just to be clear, I am not looking to discuss the politics of whether DHS should have taken this step. I just want to make sure my understanding is correct.
I think you're exactly right. I'd add to it that the feds were blocked from the NYS DMV database back in December, yet somehow they continued to accept and approve NY resident applications until last week. Both my wife and I (NY residents) had our Global Entry renewals conditionally approved since the NY law barring federal access to DMV records took effect.

And of course I just checked my account and my Global Entry renewal application and interview reservation have simply disappeared from the TTP website. I didn't get any notice or anything--just saw this thread and logged in to check and it's gone.
Old Feb 10, 20, 2:31 pm
J S

themicah : I am sorry to hear that. It must be extremely frustrating. You have my sympathy.
Old Feb 10, 20, 2:37 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I asked up-thread about signing a waver to have DMV release the driving record to DHS, from responses the answer is NO,
NYS DMV did permit drivers to obtain a CERTIFIED copy of their driving record, if this feature still exists, why should that document not be acceptable to DHS.
J S likes this.
Old Feb 10, 20, 2:38 pm

Programs: EY
This policy is bizarre strictly for the fact that you don't actually need a license to apply for GE. People without them, people under the age of 16...Even people with State IDs (I emailed TTP months ago telling them they should change their wording on the website from Driver's License to Driver's License or State ID, but just got a generic response).
J S likes this.
Old Feb 10, 20, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by SirSherlockHolmes View Post
I actually was thinking the same.
Old Feb 10, 20, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Unlike Americans, Argentinians and Colombians, et al., arent entering the U.S. with their Argentinian or Colombian driver license.
I've never entered the US with my driver's license. (OK, I might have had it in my pocket, but I never showed it to anybody to enter the US, so it might just as well have been left at home.)
Old Feb 10, 20, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sethb View Post
I've never entered the US with my driver's license. (OK, I might have had it in my pocket, but I never showed it to anybody to enter the US, so it might just as well have been left at home.)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enha...er%27s_license
Old Feb 10, 20, 6:19 pm

https://thehill.com/latino/482422-dh...-states-report

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) considered a slew of options to retaliate against so-called "sanctuary" states before settling on limiting Global Entry and other Trusted Traveler Programs (TTPs) for New York residents, according to a Monday report by BuzzFeed News....BuzzFeed reports that the memo also explored the possibility of using states "friendly" to Trump administration immigration policies to obtain information restricted by sanctuary policies.

Search this Thread