Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
  • Existing NY GE members are not affected until the expiration of their current membership (renewals are blocked)
  • Rule applies to:
    • Vehicle exports
    • Applications and renewals for GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST
  • Separate precheck memberships (not connected to GE, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) are not affected
  • Fees will be refunded, according to CFB officer.
  • Letter from DHS website
  • DHS statement Feb. 6
  • The following is from this article: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/glo...s-affected-ttp
    • 86,000 people will be "affected immediately...including those with pending applications and those up for renewal"
    • 800,000 people could be affected over five years
    • "[T]hose people no longer eligible for TTP who had pending applications will receive refunds"
  • Statements from the NY Attorney General

Print Wikipost

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by rrgg
That's not refunds, that's a claim about refunds made by the representative of an agency that's known to lie and whose agents refuse to follow their own published policies.

Has anybody actually received a refund?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:07 am

Hopefully this will be changed in the near future. We were thinking of applying two of our friends for Global Entry and use the credit card perk but not an option now.

A quick question for the experts: Our family was fortunate to get the Nexus a year ago and it's good for 5 years, does this current decision apply to us as well? Would they take away our expedited border crossing privileges, thanks.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by calculus1918
Hopefully this will be changed in the near future. We were thinking of applying two of our friends for Global Entry and use the credit card perk but not an option now.

A quick question for the experts: Our family was fortunate to get the Nexus a year ago and it's good for 5 years, does this current decision apply to us as well? Would they take away our expedited border crossing privileges, thanks.
It does not. There's a wiki at the top of this thread.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by sethb
That's not refunds, that's a claim about refunds made by the representative of an agency that's known to lie and whose agents refuse to follow their own published policies.

Has anybody actually received a refund?
Yes, it's a claim that you'll get a refund. Points Guy and the original news story say the same. Sure maybe it's a giant lie, but I would wait a bit before thinking you won't get one.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by calculus1918

You are fine with continuing to use the program benefits.

While NEXUS applications for NY residents are blocked under the same policy as GE applications are blocked for NY residents, those who have already gotten Nexus or GE membership (like you and your family) are fine ..... unless they (unlike you/your family) have had applications pending review or under conditional approval within recent days.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by toasty22
No idea but I logged online and my application has been completely deleted. It was conditionally approved with my interview scheduled but its completely gone. Cant believe it, so many months of waiting. Pure joke on both ends.

The excuse that they couldnt check me is invalid since I was conditionally approved, what did they do for over half a year then??

I checked and my credit card did not get the refund yet. Not sure how they will handle it since I was reimbursed for it already, does chase keep the $100 and I now lose the $100 credit in the future?

very frustrating all around, especially knowing people who applied from other states getting approved in a week or two after i applied
There’s no way for Chase to keep the $100. The refund will be to your account. Worst case, Chase then claws back the $100 credit it previously issued and restores it to your account for future use.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Reminder: Keep Political Commentary out of the TSS Policy Debate Forum!

Please let me remind you once again that there is a very fine line between border security discussion and political debate. Please do not cross it!

It has been a long standing practice at FlyerTalk that political discussions belong in OMNI/PR (access to OMNI is restricted to members who have been registered on FlyerTalk for a minimum of 180 days and have posted at least 180 contributivemessages). Yes, I understand that those of you who are not OMNI qualified are frustrated by not being able to discuss the political aspects and ramifications of this move by the Department of Homeland Security.

Additional posts have been deleted.

If you see political commentary in this thread, please do not respond; alert the moderator by clicking on the exclamation mark symbol in the red triangle on the left side of the post.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by the phoenix
hahaha first order of business before my Thursday AM workout was emailing Schumer, Gillibrand and Cuomo.

That said, I have yet to review my pending status but for those who were cancelled on, have you:

a) gotten any emails stating your Conditional Approval was already cancelled? and

b) already tried disputing the charge on your credit cards yet?
No notification, however logged on and see I have no application in process. No refund yet.

Last edited by miles4CDG; Feb 10, 2020 at 5:40 pm
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
From Yahoo! finance:

"This has nothing to do with the law that they passed regarding providing driver's licenses to illegal aliens," Wolf said on "Sunday Morning Futures." That's dangerous, but that's separate from what we did this week. New York is the only state — that bears repeating, the only state — that restricts [Customs and Border Protection] access to their DMV data across the board, not only for immigration purposes, but for law enforcement purposes."

"If New York wants to restore this access, then we're happy to continue to process these applications," Wolf said on Sunday.

"My job is to make sure that this program maintains its integrity so that individuals in New York are processed and evaluated the same as individuals in Michigan, Minnesota or California, and right now, because New York took this action, the department had to respond," he said.

Several other states have similar policies of allowing unauthorized immigrants to get driver's licenses, but New York is the only state that bans the sharing of motor vehicle records with immigration agents, Department of Homeland Security officials said.

Yahoo! finance
joe_miami likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by toasty22
The excuse that they couldnt check me is invalid since I was conditionally approved, what did they do for over half a year then??
It is possible that they check your DMV records for conditional approval, and then check them one more time before final approval (following the interview). We already know that they do review certain things after the interview, and there must be some grounds for rejecting a candidate at that stage (otherwise they'd just approve you and not even bother with more steps). Not saying it's right or wrong or even that it makes sense, but it might be how things are.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by rny321
Several other states have similar policies of allowing unauthorized immigrants to get driver's licenses, but New York is the only state that bans the sharing of motor vehicle records with immigration agents, Department of Homeland Security officials said.
This makes a ton of sense. When this whole NY Global Entry drama started, I was confused since California has allowed illegal immigrant drivers licenses for ages and I still got Global Entry just fine.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Lawyers on this board, what are your thoughts? If NYS files a lawsuit then what are the chances that they can get an injunction or a stay on the DHS ruling and at least while it's being battled out in the courts the GE renewal etc. will be available again? How long would such kind of process take to get an injunction (if at all!)? Just asking as when the Trump <administration> banned travelers from predominantly Islamic countries, its took a few weeks but a court issued an injunction and temporarily travelers were allowed to enter again.
Just asking and wondering allowed how serious and permanent is this, and if there is in fact some legal remedy that could be had that will ease this ruling. Having said that, this is an ego match between NYS and Trump and it's unlikely either one of them will back down.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 9, 2020 at 10:06 pm Reason: Please save politically charged terms for OMNI/PR
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:53 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by STS-134
It is possible that they check your DMV records for conditional approval, and then check them one more time before final approval (following the interview). We already know that they do review certain things after the interview, and there must be some grounds for rejecting a candidate at that stage (otherwise they'd just approve you and not even bother with more steps). Not saying it's right or wrong or even that it makes sense, but it might be how things are.
The DMV info DHS/GE would really need are DUIs, but these would be part of records they should be able to obtain through the court system, so I don't understand why those who've already been conditionally approved are "suddenly" being being cast off.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:13 pm

There are many permutations and possibilities here: Was your DUI or other traffic offense expunged maybe? Was it sealed? Was it reduced to a lower charge? Maybe you've had 23 reckless operations and no DUIs...because you pled them all down. Now maybe only the DMV knows you were pulled over drunk each time. Who knows? The CBP (years ago what we called the "customs agents") aren't messing around. They have ridiculous authority and broad interpretations of statutes to keep people out who can't account for themselves. Again, I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm saying, that's how it is.

If you are applying, or are mid-application - or have it had it since the inception - the ability of the CPB to access these records is a part of the continuing process. If you were "conditionally approved" but then declined, it makes perfect sense - because they don't check just once. They check for the duration of your credential. If you ever mess up - you lose it.

If you're a first time applicant - you are obligated to educate yourself about this program and what it means. If you aren't aware of the many ways you can lose your GE, now or in the future - then that is entirely on the applicant. This is one of the few times "I didn't read the fine print" will get you nowhere.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:29 pm

Amex / Chase

Anyone have experience on charge backs? I called Chase and they will not reinstitute credit for use with another program like TSA Pre. So I just charged back Global Entry.

All I want is for the ability to apply again and not have to pay, as it’s a benefit of the card.

Pathetic DHS doesn’t notify you and you have to log into the website to find out. No notification on fee being reimbursed, either!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.