Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
  • Existing NY GE members are not affected until the expiration of their current membership (renewals are blocked)
  • Rule applies to:
    • Vehicle exports
    • Applications and renewals for GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST
  • Separate precheck memberships (not connected to GE, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) are not affected
  • Fees will be refunded, according to CFB officer.
  • Letter from DHS website
  • DHS statement Feb. 6
  • The following is from this article: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/glo...s-affected-ttp
    • 86,000 people will be "affected immediately...including those with pending applications and those up for renewal"
    • 800,000 people could be affected over five years
    • "[T]hose people no longer eligible for TTP who had pending applications will receive refunds"
  • Statements from the NY Attorney General

Print Wikipost

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by danib62
I wonder what would happen if someone disputed the credit card charge.
That’s a bad idea in both directions. Aside from the application fee being listed as being non-refundable under any circumstance, it’s likely this ban is only temporary and also likely DHS will refund fees to those affected. (As a general matter, disputes should never be filed without contacting the merchant first.)
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:26 am

If you think DHS is likely to refund the fees then I have a bridge to sell you.

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
What record needs to be corrected? The plain language of the law is clear. DHS cannot access DMV records, the rest of the federal government can. The Department of Homeland Security does not comprise the entire Federal Government, to say that the Feds can no longer get DMV records is a bald-faced lie.
The DHS is the branch who processes GE/TTP applications. GE/TTP is a DHS program. How do you expect them to do their jobs? Call up other federal branches every time a NY application comes in and ask for help? That is a ridiculous thought.
joe_miami likes this.
Suspended

What record needs to be corrected? The plain language of the law is clear. DHS cannot access DMV records, the rest of the federal government can. The Department of Homeland Security does not comprise the entire Federal Government, to say that the Feds can no longer get DMV records is a bald-faced lie.
What record needs to be corrected? I’m quite sure more people have read or heard about this allegedly incorrect news coverage than have looked up and read the New York law in question.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
What I meant was that you've already been vetted, and the current NY law doesn't affect that vetting.

If I had to "predict what they will do next," NY will somehow allow exceptions for DHS with the consent of the applicant. Also, it sounds like other TT programs are more hindered by the law than GE.
One step ahead of you https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32039923-post67.html
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by catocony
Joe, New York has a large population of citizens who do not have driver's licenses. It's called living in New York City. Having access or not having access to DMV records is irrelevant to these citizens since they don't drive.

As far as Real ID, having a driver's license is one of many acceptable IDs to get through TSA.
I talked to a US citizen who has no US DL and just got approved for GE renewal. DHS/CBP has no easy/fast legal way to have the DL-issuing authority to confirm the validity of his DL or the information on file with the issuing authority for the DL. Apparently, DHS can still approve people for GE even when the applicant is without any info on file with US state DMVs .... unless they claim to be residents of NYS.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by joe_miami
What record needs to be corrected? I’m quite sure more people have read or heard about this allegedly incorrect news coverage than have looked up and read the New York law in question.
A vast majority of content on the opinion (the network is very clear about not referring to it as a news program) program this appeared on is untrue. I don't see a non-political way to engage in further discussion on the topic.

Originally Posted by Jeremy3292
The DHS is the branch who processes GE/TTP applications. GE/TTP is a DHS program. How do you expect them to do their jobs? Call up other federal branches every time a NY application comes in and ask for help? That is a ridiculous thought.
The Department already has access to the records they need through State and Justice. The only outstanding item would be car ownership (which doesn't apply to a large number of New Yorkers). This is really simple once the politics is removed.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I talked to a US citizen who has no US DL and just got approved for GE renewal. DHS/CBP has no easy/fast legal way to have the DL-issuing authority to confirm the validity of his DL or the information on file with the issuing authority for the DL. Apparently, DHS can still approve people for GE even when the applicant is without any info on file with US state DMVs .... unless they claim to be residents of NYS.
But no one is going to use a foreign driver license to enter the U.S., so cases like this seem irrelevant.

A vast majority of content on the opinion (the network is very clear about not referring to it as a news program) program this appeared on is untrue. I don't see a non-political way to engage in further discussion on the topic.
Really? If a Treasury Dept official went on national TV and claimed the state income and business taxes in N.Y. are 90%, you would expect N.Y. officials to remain silent, trusting that people would go look up the correct info for themselves?

The Department already has access to the records they need through State and Justice. The only outstanding item would be car ownership (which doesn't apply to a large number of New Yorkers). This is really simple once the politics is removed.
If those other agencies can share info seamlessly with ICE and CBP, what was the point of the N.Y. law?
jmrp likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 6, 2020 at 9:43 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:41 am

I’m sure they’re going to refund fees.
I just spoke to her she said her fees were reimbursed by here credit card but she's going to call them anyway.

She was planning on using this to travel over the summer.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:44 am

If those other agencies can share info seamlessly with ICE and CBP, what was the point of the N.Y. law?
From the letter, "The Act also threatens to block access to other state law enforcement agencies and departments if those agencies or departments provide New York DMV records to CBP and ICE."
joe_miami likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:46 am

Really? If a Treasury Dept official went on national TV and claimed the state income and business taxes in N.Y. are 90%, you would expect N.Y. officials to remain silent, trusting that people would go look up the correct info for themselves?
I have no idea what the State's threshold for responding to false information is. They clearly don't respond to everything published by InfoWars or the Daily Stormer. I suspect it's a case-by-case basis.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. State and Justice already independently have access to photo records, DOB (these two were enumerated in the WSJ piece), and criminal record information. They don't need the DMV for this. The global entry application form is a front-end for e-QIP. The interagency process to validate your information already exists and is used all the time. They don't need this information from the DMV, only car records.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:51 am
Suspended

I have no idea what the State's threshold for responding to false information is. They clearly don't respond to everything published by InfoWars or the Daily Stormer. I suspect it's a case-by-case basis.
I find it really hard to believe New York officials are all resisting the opportunity to call Trump’s DHS a pack of liars in a matter that’s being reported from coast to coast, but no point in going in circles here.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. State and Justice already independently have access to photo records, DOB (these two were enumerated in the WSJ piece), and criminal record information. They don't need the DMV for this. The global entry application form is a front-end for e-QIP. The interagency process to validate your information already exists and is used all the time. They don't need this information from the DMV, only car records.
In other words, DHS is properly banning New Yorkers from NEXUS, etc.?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:56 am

In other words, DHS is properly banning New Yorkers from NEXUS, etc.?
I think it would be hard to find a restriction on the vehicle portion of NEXUS unreasonable, and I could see a Court coming out that way. If you can't validate vehicle records, you can't clear them. It makes sense to me.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:01 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Re: Keeping Political Commentary out of the TSS Policy Debate Forum!

Folks,

I meant it when I posted approximately an hour ago asking members to keep political commentary out of the Travel Safety/Security forums.

If you must argue the political aspects of this development, we have a parallel thread in OMNI/PR:

Global Entry suspended for NY Citizens due to Sanctuary law

Please note that access to the OMNI forums is restricted to members who have been on FlyerTalk for 180 days and who have posted 180 contributive posts.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by danib62
If you think DHS is likely to refund the fees then I have a bridge to sell you.
Is it in NY?
jmrp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.