Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
  • Existing NY GE members are not affected until the expiration of their current membership (renewals are blocked)
  • Rule applies to:
    • Vehicle exports
    • Applications and renewals for GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST
  • Separate precheck memberships (not connected to GE, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) are not affected
  • Fees will be refunded, according to CFB officer.
  • Letter from DHS website
  • DHS statement Feb. 6
  • The following is from this article: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/glo...s-affected-ttp
    • 86,000 people will be "affected immediately...including those with pending applications and those up for renewal"
    • 800,000 people could be affected over five years
    • "[T]hose people no longer eligible for TTP who had pending applications will receive refunds"
  • Statements from the NY Attorney General

Print Wikipost

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LHSEN
Was reading the articles from various news outlets ... still not clear to me if they meant to suspend NY state residents who’re not US citizens or all NY state residents including US citizens. They talked about undocumented immigrates, how would an US citizen with a US passport be undocumented & for doing a background check, why do they need driver’s license should they not be using your passport instead to search thru the FBI database? If an US citizen is living abroad for many years and no longer a resident of any states e.g. no drivers license of any US, what do they use to check?
All New York State residents. https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...gmq-story.html

TSA PRE is not affected.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
US citizens living abroad who no longer have a current residential connection to a US state are considered for some federal purposes to be domiciled in the last US state in which they resided. I have to assume there is a significant contingent of such Americans abroad whose domicile connection to the US is NY. But if they already have GE, I doubt that this hits such people.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by OUTraveling
Via the AP:

Link:
https://www.660citynews.com/2020/02/...r-new-yorkers/

This makes sense to me. First, the government needs to verify the enhanced drivers license and they need to ensure your car is legally yours. That would require DMV database access.
I'm actually puzzled about how this NY new law will work in regards to RealID-compliant licenses. The whole idea behind the Real ID Act was to make the state ID/DL documents more trusted by standardizing the issuance process and making the underlying documents available to the DHS for review/audit. Surely, the records behind the Real ID documents have to be exempt from this statute?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joe_miami
There’s no doc verification at all? Canada just trusts that the ID is real and valid?
They take my ancient raised-seal US birth certificate/certified copies and regular state photo IDs to let me in and it seems like there is no extra special verification involved. Canada has a long history of generally taking docs at face value, although their airports of entry seem to refuse to accept my US passport cards as proof of citizenship even as they accept my US state birth certificates. It’s not the end of Canada.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by König
Yeah, I wonder about that too. The EDLs exist solely due to close cooperation between the DMVs and the CBP. If the DMV refuses to share any info or records with the CBP, the EDLs should be the first ones to go.
Canada accepts my US state birth certificates even as they have no legal, real-time direct access to the issuing agency’s files. And CBP accepts the same. If DHS wants to kill of EDL, it doesn’t bother me as long as they stick to still accepting US birth certificates and regular DLs.. DHS is already in ways trying to kill off GE benefits, so this anti-NYer move by DHS is just a precursor to what follows eventually.

Just waiting for October and the federal government’s “strong on ID” move at airports to come, as Americans hassling Americans for ID reasons becomes ever more endemic.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 6, 2020 at 2:04 am
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:06 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Canada accepts my US state birth certificates even as they have no legal, real-time direct access to the issuing agency’s files. And CBP accepts the same. If DHS wants to kill of EDL, it doesn’t bother me as long as they stick to still accepting US birth certificates and regular DLs.. DHS is already in ways trying to kill off GE benefits, so this anti-NYer move by DHS is just a precursor to what follows eventually.

Just waiting for October and the federal government’s “strong on ID” move at airports to come.
How so? The introduction of GE 2.0 terminals is a big enhancement.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr
How so? The introduction of GE 2.0 terminals is a big enhancement.
By getting rid of special customs (baggage check) lines for GE; by expanding FRT to a much larger pool and then pushing GE users there; by cutting out the rest of the special lines for GE users or otherwise expanding who else also uses those lines with GE users.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:26 am

Canada accepts my US state birth certificates even as they have no legal, real-time direct access to the issuing agency’s files. And CBP accepts the same.
The fact that CBSA accepts birth certificates doesn't surprise me since they didn't change their document requirements for US citizens in the wake of the WHTI. I would, however, be surprised to know that the CBP is totally ok with adult US citizens using birth certificates + state IDs to enter the USA. I mean they will have to eventually admit all US citizens, but are you saying they don't even direct you to the secondary?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:36 am
Suspended

I keep getting in at US land ports of entry with my regular old DL and US state birth certificates and ancient SSA card quickly and my GE membership remains as is for use at airports of relevance for me. Being sent to secondary is not guaranteed.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:44 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT

Just waiting for October and the federal government’s “strong on ID” move at airports to come, as Americans hassling Americans for ID reasons becomes ever more endemic.
First, let me address a few things:

<redacted by moderator>

Now, I believe that you are stating that Canada accepts your birth certificate as a form of identification for a non-expedited routine entry into their country. The governments argument is going to be that the Trusted Traveler program entails and privileges an individual to less stringent screening when compared to routine border crossings. As such, their is a legitimate state security interest in ensuring any individuals applying meet more restrictive guidelines.
BearX220 likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 6, 2020 at 8:30 am Reason: Political commentary belongs in OMNI/PR (access is limited to members who've been on FT for 180 days & posted 180 messages)
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:49 am
Suspended

No, I am indicating that the birth certificate is proof of citizenship and the regular DL is proof of identity. Combined together they work.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by dsauch
my understanding is that its not that people can get driver's licenses, its that DHS is now prohibited from accessing any NY DMV records. The interview also says because DHS will not have access to Title/etc vehicle history - the export of vehicles based in NY will also be delayed.

PS if DUI is disqualifying event - why should DHS continue with TTP for NY when they cant check those records? Not really "trusted traveller" anymore.
Is DUI a disqualifying event? Does that mean WH Press Secretary and at least 1 congressman can't use Global Entry?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by largeeyes
Is DUI a disqualifying event? Does that mean WH Press Secretary and at least 1 congressman can't use Global Entry?
DUIs generally provide for a public record of some sort; and even with or without that public record of arrest and/or conviction, some with aged DUIs seem to still be able to get/retain GE.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
I fully believe that the manner that this was carried out was vindictive... I loathe excesses in government power.
DHS may or may not have a point here re: security, but it's well swamped by the political subtext. The current administration has a pattern of punishing unsupportive "blue states" (with tax changes, etc.) andthat is all most people will see in this case.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/polit...ams/index.html

“Former acting ICE Director John Sandweg told CNN that sanctuary policies do not affect how the Department of Homeland Security vets people for Global Entry and other Trusted Traveler Programs.“

it would be interesting to see the underlying rationale for Sandweg’s statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.