Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
  • Existing NY GE members are not affected until the expiration of their current membership (renewals are blocked)
  • Rule applies to:
    • Vehicle exports
    • Applications and renewals for GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST
  • Separate precheck memberships (not connected to GE, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) are not affected
  • Fees will be refunded, according to CFB officer.
  • Letter from DHS website
  • DHS statement Feb. 6
  • The following is from this article: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/glo...s-affected-ttp
    • 86,000 people will be "affected immediately...including those with pending applications and those up for renewal"
    • 800,000 people could be affected over five years
    • "[T]hose people no longer eligible for TTP who had pending applications will receive refunds"
  • Statements from the NY Attorney General

Print Wikipost

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by danib62
and they can flag an enhanced DL
How would Canada know a New York license has been flagged or canceled if there’s zero info shared?

Originally Posted by nrr
Perhaps if a NYS resident signs a waver permitting DHS to access his/her records shouldn't this keep DHS "happy"?
New York’s new law apparently doesn’t allow for such a thing.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 6, 2020 at 8:24 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:14 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Here is an scan of DHS's letter to NY State DMV: https://www.scribd.com/document/4457...-Letter-to-NYS
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:20 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE/JPNTTP/APEC/CREW
DHS Secretary Suspending GE renewals for NY State Residents.

https://abc7ny.com/5907159/

“NEW YORK (WABC) -- Residents of New York are no longer eligible to enroll in or renew Trusted Traveler programs, an official with Donald Trump's administration told Fox News.

In an interview on Wednesday night, acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf told Tucker Carlson that applications and renewals for Global Entry and other programs are suspended for all New York residents.

He said the DHS sent a letter to New York on Wednesday and the move is the Trump administration's response to New York's sanctuary law.

The recently enacted Green Light Law enables undocumented immigrants to get driver's licenses and permits in New York.

Wolf said during his interview that New Yorkers can't enroll or re-enroll in the Trusted Traveler programs because the DHS no longer has access to make sure they meet program requirements.

On Tuesday night, Trump blasted NYC during his State of the Union Address for being a sanctuary city.”
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:22 pm

I wonder if this also affects NEXUS, especially for frequent users upstate.
It says NEXUS is affected in the letter. Oops.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
This will last until the first person sues over it, which is most likely this week. That said, elections do have consequences. Citizens should take them more seriously.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by catocony
This will last until the first person sues over it, which is most likely this week. That said, elections do have consequences. Citizens should take them more seriously.
I agree with the last two sentences, but how is DHS supposed to process these apps if NYS DMV doesn’t share info?
König and James91 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE/JPNTTP/APEC/CREW
I’m curious if they will invalidate EDLs since they are a Border Crossing Document.
König likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:03 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by joe_miami
I agree with the last two sentences, but how is DHS supposed to process these apps if NYS DMV doesn’t share info?
Well, there's an obvious kludge: Find a stray federal judge and submit a batch court order for all of that day's/week's applications. Perhaps throw on a $5 surcharge for NYS residents to cover the "cost" of doing so. If the DMV won't cooperate, then hold them in contempt.

You might need a "standing" order for those who are accepted, but again...put the order in and have it stand for the length of membership. If the DMV fails to cooperate, then the Feds have grounds to make their lives hell (and if they really have to chase this, it actually would justify the surcharge).

Edit: Also, if the DMV won't comply with the aforementioned court order, they're asking for a lawsuit against them. DHS could send an application rejection when the DMV refuses to cooperate and explicitly cite the state's refusal to cooperate (since now the state is both defying a court order and causing a harm that should grant standing).

That being said, with Nexus it's going to be interesting to see what Canada's reaction to this is in terms of government action.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:19 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Was reading the articles from various news outlets ... still not clear to me if they meant to suspend NY state residents who’re not US citizens or all NY state residents including US citizens. They talked about undocumented immigrates, how would an US citizen with a US passport be undocumented & for doing a background check, why do they need driver’s license should they not be using your passport instead to search thru the FBI database? If an US citizen is living abroad for many years and no longer a resident of any states e.g. no drivers license of any US, what do they use to check?

Last edited by LHSEN; Feb 5, 2020 at 11:45 pm
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Is DHS really interested in driving records instead of criminal records?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:39 am

There’s no doc verification at all? Canada just trusts that the ID is real and valid?
the same way a country trusts that your passport is real and valid!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:42 am

From what I’ve read DMV has more information on us then we would like to acknowledge! Big Brother IS Watching!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:00 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
I believe NEXUS allows for expedited processing at the Canadian border. How is one supposed to do so if they cannot verify your vehicle?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Via the AP:

The law, which went into effect in December, allowed people without legal permission to be in the United States to apply for driver’s licenses. It also included a provision prohibiting state DMV officials from providing any of its data to entities that enforce immigration law unless a judge orders them to do so. ​​
This law blocks U.S. Customs and Border Protection, which patrols the U.S.-Canada border in New York and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement from obtaining the vehicle’s owners information.
Link:
https://www.660citynews.com/2020/02/...r-new-yorkers/

This makes sense to me. First, the government needs to verify the enhanced drivers license and they need to ensure your car is legally yours. That would require DMV database access.
König likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by SirSherlockHolmes
I’m curious if they will invalidate EDLs since they are a Border Crossing Document.
Yeah, I wonder about that too. The EDLs exist solely due to close cooperation between the DMVs and the CBP. If the DMV refuses to share any info or records with the CBP, the EDLs should be the first ones to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.