Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

British teenager entered US and other countries on cancelled UK passport

Old Jan 16, 20, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

The story goes as follows: a British teenager got a UK passport which was electronically cancelled by the issuing UK agency five months after it was issued for him. The UK passport was cancelled without him knowing about it for years. In the interim years between it being cancelled and him finding out it was cancelled, he used the cancelled passport to travel repeatedly, including to travel between the UK and Belgium, Turkey and the US. He presumably got the US to approve an ESTA for him on a cancelled UK passport, or somehow he ended up with the airline and CBP not making an issue of the ESTA upon arrival to the US.

A bit on this here:

Teenager crosses 12 borders with cancelled passport in serious security blunder

EXCLUSIVE: Jamie Crane's passport was mistakenly cancelled five months after it was issued but the 18-year-old only realised after travelling to Turkey, the US and Belgium without being stopped
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...d-21262324.amp

This doesn’t surprise me that much — except a bit in that the UK didn’t catch this thing at UK ports of entry for a UK passport user even years after passport cancellation. But it should at least further inform how data-sharing between countries goes and doesn’t go when it comes to passports.

I am now curious if foreign GE members with cancelled foreign passports have been able to keep using cancelled foreign passports with GE at US ports of entry. It really wouldn’t surprise me if that has taken place too at times.
:D! likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 16, 20 at 8:44 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: