Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

15-year -old girl made through security with drink coupon

Old Jan 15, 20, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Can't you guys believe this? She went through TSA checkpoint without boarding pass. She was alone at Orlando International Airport.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...say/ar-BBYV0d2
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA is claiming she had a valid boarding pass. Of course that coming from team "We Have To Get It Right Every Time" should surprise no one.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jan 15, 20 at 3:08 pm
Old Jan 16, 20, 1:15 pm

Hey, I'd like a drink coupon too! I get thirsty at airports. But I guess I want security to do their job properly.
Old Jan 16, 20, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Hey, I'd like a drink coupon too! I get thirsty at airports. But I guess I want security to do their job properly.
Yeah, she didn't have a boarding pass. So she can't go through security without a ticket or identification.
Old Jan 17, 20, 10:32 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
TSA is claiming she had a valid boarding pass. Of course that coming from team "We Have To Get It Right Every Time" should surprise no one.
TSA's logic makes my head hurt.

And their butt-covering lies nauseate me.
Old Jan 19, 20, 8:29 pm

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Just imagine how much smoother the screening process would be if we could redeem drink coupons at the checkpoint.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 10:06 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain View Post
Just imagine how much smoother the screening process would be if we could redeem drink coupons at the checkpoint.
Do you trust TSA to make drinks?
Old Jan 20, 20, 10:17 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a free agent
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Their drinks have electrolytes!
Old Jan 21, 20, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Who cares? The requirement to have a boarding pass is dumb, the security screening (the effectiveness/necessity of which is a separate issue) she got was no different than a real passenger would get.

If I want to meet someone at a gate or just go have a $18 drink at the airport that should be no one's business.
Old Jan 21, 20, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity View Post
Who cares? The requirement to have a boarding pass is dumb, the security screening (the effectiveness/necessity of which is a separate issue) she got was no different than a real passenger would get.

If I want to meet someone at a gate or just go have a $18 drink at the airport that should be no one's business.
That appears to be TSA's position except when it isn't. Of course per TSA this didn't happen.
Old Jan 21, 20, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Yeah, she didn't have a boarding pass. So she can't go through security without a ticket or identification.
The report says under 16 years of age do not have to have identification. However, i would assume that means they are required to be with an adult that does have ID. Orlando has to deal with a much higher percentage of minors than other airports, but still it is hard to see how the TSA screener justified letting her through.
Old Jan 22, 20, 8:58 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Uzzar View Post
The report says under 16 years of age do not have to have identification. However, i would assume that means they are required to be with an adult that does have ID. Orlando has to deal with a much higher percentage of minors than other airports, but still it is hard to see how the TSA screener justified letting her through.
It's under 18 years of age and no, there is no requirement to be with an adult who has ID...solo under-18-year-olds still aren't required to have ID.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Jan 22, 20, 7:05 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
That appears to be TSA's position except when it isn't. Of course per TSA this didn't happen.
The "ticketed passengers only" requirement was not originally meant to enhance security, since everyone who transits the checkpoint gets (in theory) the same level of scrutiny. Rather, it was meant to reduce the overall number of people who were screened on a daily basis, because the increased screening process post-9/11 took more time than the pre-9/11 process, and nobody wanted long lines at the c/p. I guess a few people were actually worried that large crowds at the c/p would present almost as tempting a target to terr'ists as the aircraft themselves.

As with so many things related to TSA, the common perception that the "ticketed passengers only" requirement somehow magically kept terr'ists out of the sterile area came about through complete and utter mindless ignorance. I think the public began to see "ticketed passengers only" as some sort of magical anti-terr'ist force field right around the same time that a few stowaways were discovered entering the sterile area on expired, lifted, or fake boarding passes, which prompted TSA to prevent stowaway entry by matching the BP to an ID.
84fiero and iluv2fly like this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Uzzar View Post
Right! She doesn't have ID. She cannot go alone without an adult supervised. She must go with family. Not go alone without an adult supervised.

Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
It's under 18 years of age and no, there is no requirement to be with an adult who has ID...solo under-18-year-olds still aren't required to have ID.
Right! if someone who go alone without an adult supervised. Must show ID. It is extremely importance.
Old Feb 11, 20, 8:58 am
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
If they could figure out how to open a can of beer, I'd drink one at the checkpoint.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: