Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Any FAA or other regulation on missing life vests?

Any FAA or other regulation on missing life vests?

Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Question Any FAA or other regulation on missing life vests?

On a recent flight with AA from Hawaii to the mainland I noticed that the space for the life vest under my seat was empty (I don't usually check but in this case I happened to). I notified the FA, who thanked me for bringing it to his attention as they need to somehow report it and mentioned that they have a couple of extra ones in case. However, he did NOT provide one of those spares for me to put into the space under my seat right there and then. I was not insisting in anticipation of no issues on the flight (and was proved to be right), however, I very much doubt he would have brought me one of the extra vests should anything have happened...

I was wondering if there are any specific regulations that apply concerning life vests having to be available at every (occupied) seat and if the FA handled the situation correctly.

Thanks in advance for your insight!
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

Per the forum guidelines, the Practical Travel Safety/Security forum is the place to discuss what you need to know if you were flying today.

Please follow this thread as if moves to the Policy Debate forum.

The relevant regulation appears to be 14 CFR 25.1411:
(f) Life preserver stowage provisions. The stowage provisions for life preservers described in 25.1415 must accommodate one life preserver for each occupant for which certification for ditching is requested. Each life preserver must be within easy reach of each seated occupant.
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yogimh49
On a recent flight with AA from Hawaii to the mainland I noticed that the space for the life vest under my seat was empty (I don't usually check but in this case I happened to). I notified the FA, who thanked me for bringing it to his attention as they need to somehow report it and mentioned that they have a couple of extra ones in case. However, he did NOT provide one of those spares for me to put into the space under my seat right there and then. I was not insisting in anticipation of no issues on the flight (and was proved to be right), however, I very much doubt he would have brought me one of the extra vests should anything have happened...

I was wondering if there are any specific regulations that apply concerning life vests having to be available at every (occupied) seat and if the FA handled the situation correctly.

Thanks in advance for your insight!
There is supposed to be one within passenger arms reach for each and every passenger on board and having it on board rows away from the seated passenger is not in compliance with what the airline should do. Same goes with the flotation devices for lap children, which is why on certain flights the airlines have to go around handing out such devices to the adults accompanying lap children on the planes.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Thanks very much for the insights ^ .

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 10, 2020 at 12:40 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.